Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,819 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion they would like to share about moving to Stamford vs. Norwalk and where a young family might be happier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Stamford is a big city by Connecticut standards. It has a population of over 100,000 and is one of the few metro areas that is growing. there are many nice quiet neighborhoods in Stamford as well as big city type housing and rural areas. It is a pretty diverse city overall.

Norwalk is a bit smaller in size. It too has many nice neighborhoods and a wide range of housing though it does tend ot be on a smaller scale than stamford. It is really a matter of personal preference. I would suggest you visit each community and decide for yourself. Jay

Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
I think alot of it really depends on what you're looking for. Both are relatively close to New York, and both are really expensive.

Stamford is closer to the city (if you plan to work there or visit it), but it's also more expensive of the two. There's over a dozen neighborhoods here, only two of which (South End and the West Side) are questionable and not well-suited for families with children. Since Norwalk is a bit further it's probably a little bit cheaper. Really, they're pretty similar as far as cost, housing stock, access to public transportation (including trains and highways), and they're both safe cities (Stamford being the safer of the two), but if you have children I've heard both from friends and on this board that the public schools often have the same issues as in other urban areas.

What exactly are you looking for? Is there anything in particular that drew you to these two cities?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Well, I'd definitely recommend a visit--they are both pretty different, yet have similar areas as well. Stamford is a huge corporate center--with a nice downtown with a lot of changes going on. There's a clear downtown center. Norwalk is more spread out--with it's downtown nowhere near the size of Stamford's. Norwalk has a great bar/restaurant/"hip" center in South Norwalk--a main area resembling a trendy vibe that Stamford doesn't really have.
I love some of Norwalk's neighborhoods--and Stamford's as well. Norwalk has many typical chain big-box stores, restaurants, and other franchises, whereas in Stamford, due to strict zoning, there are very few.
I'd echo JayCT's advice and visit them both.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I love some of Norwalk's neighborhoods--and Stamford's as well. Norwalk has many typical chain big-box stores, restaurants, and other franchises, whereas in Stamford, due to strict zoning, there are very few.
I'd echo JayCT's advice and visit them both.
Well, you do have a Target - downtown no less. Which I find a bit unusual, since most of them or located in strip mall plazas. I know Stamford is different since it's a city but it's still really rare for a store like that. Not to take anything away from Stamford, their downtown is pretty cool, I just find it kinda weird that Target is there, as well as the mall. But that's just me $0.02

Old 06-03-2009, 08:10 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, you do have a Target - downtown no less. Which I find a bit unusual, since most of them or located in strip mall plazas. I know Stamford is different since it's a city but it's still really rare for a store like that. Not to take anything away from Stamford, their downtown is pretty cool, I just find it kinda weird that Target is there, as well as the mall. But that's just me $0.02
Come on, face it.

The Stamford Target is the most architecturally appealing Target you have ever seen. It actually makes you want to go in, even if its to see if the inside is like the other Targets.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Come on, face it.

The Stamford Target is the most architecturally appealing Target you have ever seen. It actually makes you want to go in, even if its to see if the inside is like the other Targets.
Which it is (just like any other Target I have been in, except on two levels). Jay

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
The Target in Trumbull next to the Westfield Mall is on two levels, too. It's been a long time since I've been to the Milford Target, but I think they might be on two levels as well.

To the OP, many families living in Norwalk and Stamford send their children, especially the older ones, to private schools. But Stamford's publilc schools generally perform a bit better than Norwalk's.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-04-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut