Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience or know someone who has had a reproduction home built by any of the following and can share a summary of the experience and degree of satisfaction? (I would like to stay away from having a real estate agent being a "representative" or "middleman" in the process also, except for maybe the land purchase if it is not purchased through the builder).

Sunderland Period Homes (in South Windsor?)

Classic Colonial Homes (out of Deerfield, MA but many have been built in and around Granby, CT and surrounding areas of the Valley)

Connor Building Co. (out of Vermont)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I know of all three of these companies after having researched them in the past. Sunderland is a builder who builds fine reproductions that are pretty authentic. They are based in Windsor and have an excellent reputation.

Classic Colonial Home is actually is a home designer which I believe has now expanded into prefabricating their designs. They are from Deerfield, Mass. I know of a person that has built a CCH through a builder in a small development of homes using their designs. They had a very positive experience and their home is stunning. I believe their home is pictured in some of the CCH literature. The CCH designs feature a generally open modern layout in a colonial home with colonial details. I have seen a number of them around and they are great. I do not think that CCH is a builder though so you have to find one on your own.

Connor is a prefabricator of colonial homes out of upstate Vermont. Their hoes look nice but I don't know much about them.

Another company to check out is New England Homes in Bolton, CT. They build colonial post and beam designs. They are affiliated with Country Carpenters which has been a builder of small very attractive out buildings. I have only seen the model and it is very nice. The only problem I see with them though is that their homes lack a few of the modern amenities that you would expect in a newer home. I did not like that their model did not have a master bedroom suite and had limited closets. Still I think that they do custom designs. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
Thanks Jay,
I have not been through Sunderland's homes... I have been through a CCH home in Granby while it was being built, but not a finished one with the trimwork up etc. I do have their study plans. I have the Connor Building's book of designs and they look nice. I remember driving out towards Glastonbury - is this the model home you mention? I wish I had taken the time to stop and have a look. (Sorry, I'm a bit fuzzy when it comes to towns east of the river & Bolton doesn't ring a bell...) I think I remember it being a little red cape model.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
That sounds like the place. Here is a link to their web site.

Welcome to Early New England Homes by Country Carpenters, Inc.

Bolton is off I-384 past Manchester, not far from Glastonbury. That model home is on Route 85. check it out. I don't know where else they have built homes orher than the model though. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut