U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 23,361 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I give up. Im a little strapped due to job. So im trying to be as proactive as I can with my bills. I feel like they are very high. I get all different offers in the mail from comcast, at&t, dish, electric suppliers, everything. I feel a little overwhelmed and just want a low cost and get the most. I need phone, internet, cable, and yes my lights on is always cool. Does anyone have any suggestions or feel the same?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 PM

438 posts, read 1,133,865 times
I can't offer a lot of suggestions for the first three, but regarding your electric bill, I've been surprised at how much money we saved just turning off the lights more. Candlelight dinner and a movie is nice, you know? And it's better for you -- we're not really meant to surround ourselves with artificial light at night, it messes up our body clock somewhat. There are loads of other tricks -- using a laptop instead of a desktop whenever possible, keeping your freezer as full as possible, etc. -- but you probably know most of them already.

Also, I think a lot of people can cut their food bill way down with a little ingenuity. For example, buying a bread machine and making your own bread/rolls/pizza dough can save you tons of $$, if you ordinarily buy a lot of such things. Of course, it all depends on your tastes and so forth, but my girlfriend and I eat very well, and we don't spend half as much per person on food as most people we know.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,323,124 times
When I was single, I always had a second job. No disrespect, and not trying to give the "when I was young we walked 10 miles in the snow to school" .... Maybe you could find something in your off hours that is pleasant as a second income just for a while until bills are under control. Key would be to find something you'd enjoy so it doesn't seem so much like a job. I enjoy typing. I did some data entry, and also a few hours here and there at a hospital in supply. I was walking around the hospital a lot and remember some good times meeting some patients and talking with them. I will tell you that just a few hours an evening flew by, and the extra money was great. Just a thought.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,654,723 times
We have the triple play from Comcast. It used to be $99 per month for internet, phone (unlimited long distance), and cable (now we have switched to HDTV, so it's a bit higher... I'm not sure of the actual amount). If I were really strapped, though, then we could switch to dial up, or cancel the internet altogether. We could go back to a basic phone line with no long distance, and we could get only bottom basic cable.

Lights off unless you are actually using them. No a/c on most days, or turn it on only for an hour or two before bed... we will only run ours on the hottest nights, and only in the bedrooms. Otherwise, open the windows in the morning while it's still cool, then as soon as it gets warm (or when you leave for work), shut all of the windows and blinds. In the evening, open the eastern-facing windows, then when the sun goes down, open all of them and put in window fans if necessary.

We're a family of four living on my husband's fairly modest salary, so don't think it can't be done! I got tons of great money-saving tips from Amazon.com: The Complete Tightwad Gazette: Amy Dacyczyn: Books. I actually used my copy so much that it literally fell apart! A lot of the actual dollar amounts in the book are really outdated, but the ideas are still the same. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 AM

haha well im going to look into that book. Im not strapped like poor. Just trying to be responsible. I have implemented a bunch of home remedy tips but Im talking about deals with the actual companies. Who is offerering what at the best cost. I live in hartford, ct. I just found out just having appliances plugged in is generating electricity. Has anyone signed up with U-Verse?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 AM

326 posts, read 1,392,051 times
With Cox for internet, cable and phone I spend $130 a month. For electricity (big house) I am at $160 appx. How are your costs compared to mine?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM

phone internet cable is about 150 with comcast, my electric is about 220. About 1300kwh. Gas is about the same.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,926,696 times
I have basic cable plus internet via Comcast: $65/ month
Local-only phone is $25/ month (need for the alarm system)
Electric is $150/ month (large house)
Cell phone is $60/ month
Natural Gas is $60/ month (hot water)
Heating oil is approx. $500/ month in winter

It does all add up. I believe CT is the costliest state in the union for utilities.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM

wow you are doing pretty good. I have electric heat which kills me in the winter. Who do you use for your standard phone line. Im ready to get rid of my land line and just use the cell. Has anyone heard of the magicjack? Does it work? I keep getting calls from Utility Exchange, LLC looking to help consult with all of my bills and lower them. Has anyone looked into this company or reached our for a similar service?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 PM

4,038 posts, read 9,740,551 times
If you have a cell phone, get rid of it--you don't need it, and it is a huge drain on your wallet.
Honestly, it is very difficult if you insist that you "need" things; the best way to cut back is to use less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut