Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 AM

34,910 posts, read 56,885,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
If you are going up the coastline, Orange is one town inland from Milford and directly inbetween Sikorsky and Milford. (as the bird flies).

I hope you enjoy your stay.
Actually while a small part of Orange is across the Housatonic River, you have to go into Milford to cross the river. The north end of Milford is located directly opposite Sikorsky Aircraft. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM

417 posts, read 600,029 times
Maggiemay,

Try woodbridge,bethany, or cheshire, I have heard they are beatiful towns with an easy commute. p.s.- My dad works in Milford!

Last edited by RiskReturn; 04-18-2007 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,063 times
we are moving to milford, its a very nice family/ beach town.
stop by and take a look.

big big big difference from fairfield and new haven counties.. dont want to scare you but beware of certain places in new haven county.. .like i said take a look at milford.

good luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:19 PM

162 posts, read 849,276 times
Default fairfield

I would go to Fairfield. I think it's diverse, upscale, and probably safer than New Haven - with more to do. New Haven is fun around the college area - but for me - that's about it. I'm in my 50's. I live about 45 min. from New Haven and have been there many times.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:36 PM

84 posts, read 441,817 times
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I must say, I'm totally enjoying my nutmegger friends. I've read several threads about CT "rudeness",and quite frankly, everyone I met was helpful and friendly. We had a great trip, but it is hard to choose since each town seems to have a distinct set of very different advantages. Oh well, I guess having to choose between several good options is a lovely problem to have. Connecticut, here we come!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I must say, I'm totally enjoying my nutmegger friends. I've read several threads about CT "rudeness",and quite frankly, everyone I met was helpful and friendly. We had a great trip, but it is hard to choose since each town seems to have a distinct set of very different advantages. Oh well, I guess having to choose between several good options is a lovely problem to have. Connecticut, here we come!
That sounds great! Glad to hear the good experience.

You are right, this state is very hard to pin down to one thing. We really are made up of 169 individual cities and towns, each with it's own personality.

FYI: Most here don't even know it, but the term "nutmegger" is actually in insult. LOL Sketchy traveling salesmen used to sell sawdust as nutmeg to those in the South and other areas and were known to be those people from the "nutmeg state" or "nutmeggers". LOL

We are the Constitution State. The draft of the constitution was based on our state charter. When the redcoats invaded, we hid our charter in an old oak tree and recovered it after the dust settled. Hence the "Charter Oak". (And the Charter Oak Bridge, the Charter Oak on our quarter etc)

Just a little state history for you.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:27 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
Connecticut's official nickname, adopted in 1959, is "The Constitution State," based on its colonial constitution of 1638–39- 'The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut'....

Also at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, the Connecticut representatives broke the deadlock over representation in the US Congress- called the 'Connecticut Compromise' or 'Great Compromise' that stated that representation in the house would be based on population- and that every state would have 2 Senators'.

So the term 'Constitution State has two very important meanings.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 AM

84 posts, read 441,817 times
Holy Cow! Good to know. I knew that officially the state's nickname is The Constitution State, however I've seen CT referred to as the Nutmeg State in some of the literature and brochures that I picked up so I didn't know it was an insult. Thanks for the save.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
Holy Cow! Good to know. I knew that officially the state's nickname is The Constitution State, however I've seen CT referred to as the Nutmeg State in some of the literature and brochures that I picked up so I didn't know it was an insult. Thanks for the save.
Oh yea, people say it all the time and really have no idea what the history behind it is. LOL

I don't think you would offend anyone by saying it, only those of us who know the history would know and even then I just laugh and smile...and sometimes explain.

Now the term carpetbagger is another fun term to explore with the move South thing going on - the more things change the more they stay the same. lol

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM

82 posts, read 280,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually while a small part of Orange is across the Housatonic River, you have to go into Milford to cross the river. The north end of Milford is located directly opposite Sikorsky Aircraft. Jay
It's been a year since my last visit to CT and a few years since we have lived there. So, please forgive me for being mixed up. Now, I remember when we took the quick route to go to shopping and restaurants on Rt. 1, we would either have to cross the river going from the Milford Pkwy to the Merritt. When we took the "scenic route", we would travel up Orange Center Road to rt 34 and then to the Merritt. (I know it's not the direct way but we are road cruise kinda people and we love to discover things by accident).

In any case, I stand corrected. Orange is a bit north of Milford but still a reasonable commute to Sikorsky.

p.s. I really miss CT and wish we could move back. Unfortunately, the job market forced us to move a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut