Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz3335 View Post
Poway has one of the best PE programs in the state as well as music offered at the Middle School level, and Spanish and French courses staring as early as 7th grade.
My kids were in Poway Unified School district up until this past school year. PE in elementary school is taught by the regular teacher, there are no PE teachers. Here in CT, my children have a real PE teacher, are taught Spanish starting in 3rd grade, have school year music lessons (starting in Kindergarten) and instrumental music starting in 4th grade, and art taught by a real art teacher not parents.

Poway is a good school district academically and in that respect they didn't have a problem adjusting to schools here but it does not compare to what is offered in CT by even an average school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Really? Funny. Hartford has more sunny days per year then Miami Florida. Who'd a thunk it?

Maybe you are confusing Southern New England with upstate NY or Northern New England.
I agree with you.

LOL! I'm always reading from many posters here say about the cold and gray winters.
I guess me living right across from NYC in New Jersey there must be a forcefield of some kind to the CT border which isn't all that far from me as to give us many sunny days here in the dead of winter.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 28,966 times
Schools are as good as the parents who send their kids to the district. Many of CT's districts have incredible parental involvement, which helps the students, teachers and districts provide a supportive surrounding for education to take place.

I went to high school out of state and while my school was good, we never had opportunities like the kids here (multiple languages offered by middle school, progressive curriculum - not to be confused with liberal curriculum). Public schools here seem to be a step ahead of most areas.

That's why the cost of living is pretty high here. The smaller towns are very desirable. Overall, CT is a well-balanced place to raise a family. NJ, MA and the Hudson Valley region are also great places to raise a family, but are expensive too!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Spend a week at a lovely B&B in the Farmington Valley, drive through the hills of Litchfield County, and while you're here, look at what CT has to offer in the way of both excellent public schools and numerous private school options. Then go spend a week in So. Cal. and compare.
There IS no comparison IMO.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 PM

17 posts, read 29,749 times
I will pitch for CT but know I have family and friends who prefer So CA.

I believe both CT or CA will meet your top 4 criterias - it all depends which area you end up in. I'm confident that your kids will be fine educationally because you sound like engaged parents - which is the key. Did you consider spending less on the housing and sending the kids to private schools, which we have tons in CT?

There are just a couple of quality of life issues I would like to point out about CT, which could be the tipping points:

1) Climate - CT enjoys the four season in equal lengths but more importantly, we don't seem to be hit by natural disasters such as earthquakes, wild fires (due to the Santa Ana winds, which also makes So CA landscape look brown), landslides, tornadoes, etc. We don't get bitter cold windy days nor any lake effect snow (and any snow accumulation usually melt within days) . We do get hot and humid days in the summer but our heat waves are measured in days, not weeks. I just hope these comments doesn't catch the attention of the weather gods

2) Manageable traffic congestions - we don't have huge, multi lane highways or as they call it in CA - freeways. Two hours commutes is the exception NOT the rule unless you plan to work in NYC. We also have some lovely scenic 4 lane highways with lots of foliage.

Good luck with your search of a new home state!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torringtonCTbychoice View Post
2) Manageable traffic congestions
Fairfield County traffic on I-95 and the Merritt is nasty.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
IMO, no matter how educated and smart your kids are, in SoCal the culture is so dumbed down that they will be influenced by it.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 33,165 times
With regards to your question, I live in So.Cal and would advise you to move to Connecticut instead with all my heart. Disregarding any personal experiences or biases I may have, I strongly urge anyone who may show any interest in moving here against such a mistake. Economically, socially, and for reasons of health and well-being I cannot recommend living here. There are always aspects about a place that make it impossible to write down or allude to, having said that let me just say that the day to day experience here in So.Cal does not lend itself for a decent, QUIET, law-abiding family. I have never lived in CT so I can make no assurances about it, but can only heartily recommend against any move to So.Cal. The weather just isn't worth it.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaranda View Post
With regards to your question, I live in So.Cal and would advise you to move to Connecticut instead with all my heart. Disregarding any personal experiences or biases I may have, I strongly urge anyone who may show any interest in moving here against such a mistake. Economically, socially, and for reasons of health and well-being I cannot recommend living here. There are always aspects about a place that make it impossible to write down or allude to, having said that let me just say that the day to day experience here in So.Cal does not lend itself for a decent, QUIET, law-abiding family. I have never lived in CT so I can make no assurances about it, but can only heartily recommend against any move to So.Cal. The weather just isn't worth it.
Totally just curious.. what part of Southern California do you live in? Sorry you've had such a crappy experience. I hope you find somewhere you enjoy better.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:56 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
and that's one of the things that's so sad about Southern CA today...it has changed alot in 30 years. I went out there as a kid 25 years ago, and when I go out there now...I don't recognize it anymore. Except for a few extremely expensive areas...I could not imagine raising a family it that environment.

I am much more suited to winters in CA than in the Tri-State area (although I do think people make it stink – it’s not Minnesota here), but the problems with job losses, foreclosures, gangs, crime, traffic, schools, and just stress from what I hear…kind of negates the mild winter part. Too bad, because southern CA could have been a choice for me too.
Okay.

There are job losses and foreclosures, I'll give you that. There are job losses and foreclosures in CT, too - California has more foreclosures for now, but that's all temporary.

Gangs and crime ... I went and pulled up FBI crime statistics for 2007. According to them, Poway has lower property crime rate than every city with population >50,000 in Connecticut except Greenwich. San Diego's murder rate is one fifth of Hartford and half that of Bridgeport. There were more robberies in Stamford in 2007 (population: 120K) than in Irvine (population: 200K) or Santa Clarita (population: 170K).

LA traffic sucks. Outside LA, it's not that bad. Especially compared with NYC.

Stress ... Southern California is one of the most laid back places in the county. When I think "stress", first thing that comes to mind is New England, not Southern California. Far more angry, sad and stressed people in the northeast. Has something to do with bitter cold and depressing gray falls/winters, I think.

Last edited by esmith143; 06-28-2009 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut