Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM

22 posts, read 179,080 times

Advertisements

AEP/Jay, I moved from Long Island NY to Barrington, IL and found people in the midwest to be incredibly nice. When I went back to LI, I was shocked at how rude people were and that when I lived there I had only noticed it once in awhile, now I see just how bad it really is. Even my mother-in-law says that the people in the midwest are so friendly and has noticed the difference (she still lives on LI). I think the problem is that when you come from a place that is soooo friendly, it is difficult to move to one that is not nearly so friendly and perhaps you judge it a little more harshly. I have a neighbor who moved to NY from Barrington and who decided that after a year, New Yorkers were just not nice so they moved back here. Of course, this is generalizing, there are many nice people in NY. Unfortunately (and I can say this because I am guilty of it too), NY'ers are in such a hurry and want things yesterday....they forget about the little things like saying Thank You, or holding a door open for someone. I am sure we will find a nice place in CT, its just a matter of having the patience to do the research and based on the posts I've read on this site, it sounds like there are a few nice people willing to take time out of their day to give me the information that will help me find a town (whether it be Ridgefield, Weston, or Wilton) that will suit me and my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM

64 posts, read 346,077 times
Irvington or North Tarrytown??? Taxes are really high there aren't they?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,721,280 times
OP didn't make it seem like money was an issue. Taxes are higher than CT but I was just offering another option.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legz28 View Post
I think the problem is that when you come from a place that is soooo friendly, it is difficult to move to one that is not nearly so friendly and perhaps you judge it a little more harshly.
I think you hit it on the head Legz, but again you can not judge an entire state or county by one person's experiences in one or two towns. After I posted above I thought about the few people I know from Greenwich. Here is a summary:
  • My aunt worked for a wealthy man with CP. His mother was one of the wealthiest women in the country. It was not uncommon to find her sitting in my aunt's VERY down-to-earth and busy kitchen chatting with whoever happened to be there. She even drove a modest car though she could easily afforded (and had) a chauffered limo.
  • A wealthy former client of mine regularly talked in a loving manner of the "wonderful" people that helped him through a rough time. The people were from his daughter's school in Greenwich and he eventually moved there because of this.
  • My cousin's ex-wife was born and raised in Greenwich, the daughter of a minister at a local church. She is one of the most "down-to-earth" people I know. In fact, maybe too "down-to-earth".
  • A person I know professionally who works for the Town of Greenwich is one of the funniest, most down-to-earth characters I know. Though he does not live in Greenwich (only works there), he lives in one of the equally upscale suburbs nearby and has been in town for almost 30 years.
  • A coworker who sits several cubes away from me, and his wife are from Greenwich originally. They are among the nicest people I know and are very unassuming.
My point being that there are all types of people everywhere, even in the most affluent of suburbs. I think it is very smart of Legz28 to do the research to try and find the best community for her and her family to relocate to. I guess that is what AEP should have done. Again, JMHO. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 04-26-2007 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
AEP

5 posts, read 29,591 times
Default Addendum

Legz,

Indeed, there are nice people in Ridgefield and that is about as down to earth as you will get in CT including towns near Hartford where I now reside.

You noted that people in CT and Long Island are not that friendly compared to people in the midwest. But also, note some other traits that you should consider. People in CT have no idea about athletics. The only sport they can even begin to discuss is baseball and that's it. You'll find better sports conversations in Washington Park in Manahattan than anywhere in CT.

In addition, your husband should be forewarned about another odd trait among men out here. They gossip. That's right, they gossip about one another. Even worse, in public many pose as tough guys and then turn right around and try to "share" their problems with you and "confide" in you. It's among the saddest and worst experiences your husband will ever have.

I am speaking of men throughout CT and most of the Northeast. One need only look at the long, somber remorseful, and ultimately cynical disposition of John Kerry to get an idea of the men out here. Principled stand on anything? Forget it. Looking to the social benefit a particular act may have? Forget it. A conversation about sport, beyond the Yankees? Forget it. An ultimately positive outlook about their community and fellow Americans? Forget it.

In the end, I suggest Manhattan or Ridgefield (there are odd pockets everywhere). The people in Manhattan are very, very friendly and easy to befriend and they actually have an interest in something other than themselves.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEP View Post
Legz,

Indeed, there are nice people in Ridgefield and that is about as down to earth as you will get in CT including towns near Hartford where I now reside.

You noted that people in CT and Long Island are not that friendly compared to people in the midwest. But also, note some other traits that you should consider. People in CT have no idea about athletics. The only sport they can even begin to discuss is baseball and that's it. You'll find better sports conversations in Washington Park in Manahattan than anywhere in CT.

In addition, your husband should be forewarned about another odd trait among men out here. They gossip. That's right, they gossip about one another. Even worse, in public many pose as tough guys and then turn right around and try to "share" their problems with you and "confide" in you. It's among the saddest and worst experiences your husband will ever have.

I am speaking of men throughout CT and most of the Northeast. One need only look at the long, somber remorseful, and ultimately cynical disposition of John Kerry to get an idea of the men out here. Principled stand on anything? Forget it. Looking to the social benefit a particular act may have? Forget it. A conversation about sport, beyond the Yankees? Forget it. An ultimately positive outlook about their community and fellow Americans? Forget it.

In the end, I suggest Manhattan or Ridgefield (there are odd pockets everywhere). The people in Manhattan are very, very friendly and easy to befriend and they actually have an interest in something other than themselves.

I am not even going to waste my time responding to this. AEP give it up.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,974,118 times
JayCT

I agree

They should return to Chicago- how wonderfully critical they are-
Ridgefield and Manhattan? Two of the most expensive places to live in the world!
If one thinks that John Kerry is a snob- well move to Ridgefield- you may become enlightened-well perhaps.
But then again Ridgefield is one of the few Republican bastions in the state- perhaps that is why the dig against Kerry.
As for Manhattan- whatever

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-26-2007 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM

AEP: I worked in manhattan for many years but, I dont think it is a good place to raise an 11 year old...I certainly don't have the connections to get her into a private school there and we are looking for a home on about 1 acre of land. Not to be nosey, but you sound very bitter about CT, what happened to you that made you this way. In fact, while most people who posted to this site have warned me about pockets of snobbery, you make it sound like I won't find a single nice person in CT. I find it very hard to believe that CT is that bad. As I stated earlier, Long Island NY is pretty bad too, but, I do have some very nice friends there. Are you maybe generalizing a bit too much? And, by the way, I'm a Yankee fan. Sorry, but it's true!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Sky: I dont know if you have read this thread from the beginning but basically, we are moving back east from IL. I am not sure if you are saying I should go back to Chicago, or the other person. I have only criticized the area I grew up in (and moved from when we came to IL). I am researching CT and trying to find a place where we will fit in. So far, several people on this site have helped me tremendously. After reading Jay's last reply, he obviously knows many wealthy people who are quite nice. Lastly, I have nothing against John Kerry. I never make judgements about someone I don't know and I certainly don't know Mr. Kerry. I apologize that this thread has become a bit negative. My main concern as a parent, is finding a place where my daughter can go to a good school and make friends and where we can live in a neighborhood where people are nice. So, I hope now that you dont want us staying in chicago! lol Thanks!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,974,118 times
legz28

not YOU- please let me clarify that-your insights are most truthful and objective. I was referring to the other 'party'

I happen to think Chicago is a great city- and so is Washington DC-my home town and my parents hometown Pittsburgh PA- why some people move to a place and then trash it is beyond me- CT has its great points- and some areas that need improvement- no place is perfect.

I come from a working class background-and proud of that-even though I have a fair amount of education- I care not too flaunt it- and enjoy being understated. There are very nice wealthy people and people less well off- and nasty rich and less rich among us. In the end in American culture these days does seem to be filled with a fair amount of anger and bitterness- what this means in the end is open to conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut