Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 27,049 times

Advertisements

I've heard there is a very long wait list for parking permits in several towns. I have to commute to NYC and can get the train in Milford, Stratford, or Fairfield. Anyone have any suggestions on getting parking for commuter trains?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 PM

18 posts, read 96,554 times
In Milford there is no wait for permits for the train station parking so all residents with municipal stickers (those for any parking lot which require stickers or beaches, etc.) can park first come first served every single day. Milford has a great deal of train station parking and there is an overflow area, as well use at any municipal parking in downtown--at the library adjacent to the baseball fields and tennis courts (although there is a bit more of a walk) but most don't cost anything to Milford residents. There is also a pay per day or per month parking lot right across from the Milford train station for last minute or last resort in a hurry etc.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
You are correct that there is a long list of people on the waiting list for parking at Fairfield Station. The last I read, the list had about 1300 names on it. There is new station being built in Fairfield with 1500 parking spaces that will open in a couple of years. Construction will begin later this year and that should help. I am not sure where you live, but it might be worth it to get your name on that list now so that when it opens you will be able to get a space. I believe you will need to contact the Fairfield Parking Authority. Good luck. Jay

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 16,166 times
This response is for tbappp. There is a waiting list in Milford train station parking lot No. 1,2, & 3 and it take approximately 3 years to get a parking permit from the time you are put on a waiting list. Beach/Town stickers do not replace a parking permit at the Milford Train Station. Anyone caught without a parking permit will be fined and possibly towed. Please do not disseminate inaccurate information. Thank you, A Milford Resident who has been using the station for several years.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the correction of misinformation ALEMOE. This thread is old but it is good to correct it anyway. You never know when someone will read it and think it is correct. Jay

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,275 times
Last time I took the train, I left from Fairfield. Looked like there was plenty of open spaces, and this was a Tuesday afternoon in mid-July.

I can assume this is a rarity?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM

July is a vacation time of the year. Check it next week when everyone is back to work and schools are in session. I think you will see very few space available. Jay

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleone View Post
I've heard there is a very long wait list for parking permits in several towns. I have to commute to NYC and can get the train in Milford, Stratford, or Fairfield. Anyone have any suggestions on getting parking for commuter trains?

Thank you!
Not sure about Stratford or Milford. I've been on the waiting list in Fairfield since January 2007, and last time I checked (July 2008) I was told I had at least 4000 people ahead of me, with a wait of about 4-5 years. I don't know how many people are behind me, but I do know that when gas prices went up and the economy started to go south, a lot more people started taking the train.

All that being said, there are a good # of day parking spots in the main station lot ($6/day, and these are full by 6:15), more day parking off of Mill Plain (also $6/day - I think these are available until 8 or so), and $4/day parking up at the Knights of Columbus (full by 6:45 or 7). After 9 AM, you can park anywhere in the station for $6/day.

As Jay mentioned, there is a new station going in that is supposed to provide about 1500 spots. That should definitely help move the list along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut