Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
There's still no jobs here.
I still don't understand why people think this. I work in IT, certainly not CT's strongest field, and there are plenty of jobs in the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,180,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I still don't understand why people think this. I work in IT, certainly not CT's strongest field, and there are plenty of jobs in the private sector.
I think a lot of it has to do with the perception that there is a abundance of high-skilled work and of low-skilled work... however as the economists I've been reading have pointed out there is a (either real or imaginary, depending on who you listen to) lack of "entry level" decent waged jobs to start on the path towards more high-skilled and higher-paid jobs in the state. Also remember, Connecticut lost out on a huge part of the building boom that defined the 90's and early oughts, and all the construction jobs that brought with it. There was a bit of construction, just to note, but it hardly took up a huge portion of our job market for better or worse that it did in other parts of the country.

Here in Fairfield and Bridgeport though I've been offered a few good jobs and have seen quite a number of "help wanted signs" for olla kala work. It is a bit tougher now, but I don't think it's been too catastrophic.

~Paz

Last edited by Beeker2211; 06-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,017 times
Ironically, I did not get to move to NC for job reasons-which is almost humorous in its irony-so we've stayed and decided to be happy, which we are. I actually do think CT is faring better than much of the nation, since we did not have the absolute real estate crash or so many foreclosures that other places like FL have had. My in-laws live in a formerly growing area there and it's a different world than 5 years ago. We never sailed quite so high here in CT so we had less room to fall.

That being said, the cost of living is still undeniably high here and so are taxes-and I continue to worry for my children when they get to be young adults starting out here. If we could have gotten the job transfers, would we have gone? Yes. Am I happy here? Yes. Thanks to the Freddie Mac meltdown, I got a nice house that I could not have afforded 3 years ago. I still don't like snow though LOL. And I totally understand why some folks leave and have no regrets.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:41 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
Personally I am happy I left. I couldn't tolerate 2 months of good weather a year. I could never live in Ct. again. For me it's just not worth it. Nothing much to do except hibernate or go to NY or Boston. Too expensive for what it has to offer. For two the major cities there really are shabby and crime ridden. I got robbed in Bridgeport and New Haven.

My soon to be ex-wife is another story. She prefers Ct. So she is heading back.

To each his own I guess.

In South Carolina where I am if anything happend to my job there is nothing and I mean NOTHING out there!

We are selling the house and when it sells I will rent for as long as my job lasts. But am making plans to head to Florida.

South Florida has relatively low unemployment by todays standards. Miami-dade 8%.

Bridgeport is running over 12% now.
2 months of cold weather? S.A.D. in CT? Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Northern Maine maybe, but CT? Good Lord we have two months of "Winter"

Have fun in Miami, just realize Hartford has more sunny days per year. No, really, it does - that's a statistical fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser View Post
First off, I agree to each their own -- if you like the lifestyle in FL or VA or wherever, then great, you should live there and enjoy it. That said, I laughed when I read the comment about "only 2 months of good weather" in CT and wanting to move to Miami. I lived in Miami for 8 years and that was exactly my complaint about FL! January and February are pretty nice, but the rest of the year it's oppressively hot and humid and you spend your life running from one air conditioned space to another, sweating like mad in between. Add to that the crime, crowding and the insane traffic... man, I wouldn't move back there if you paid me. Literally -- I've turned down good job opportunities in MIA. That's not to say that I didn't also have a lot of fun in FL, and plenty of good memories, but to me the grass is much, much greener in New England.
Agreed.

Quote:
Absolutely agree.
Quote:
There's still no jobs here.
Really? Let me see, I just logged on to give you some help after a 13 hour day of busting my stones HARD and saw this. Nevermind, forget it. Thanks for wasting my time.

You have NO real world experience as a mechanic - NONE, are STILL IN SCHOOL for said profession and can't figure out why you can't find a job as a mechanic? Are you serious?

You seem to be very very green still on many fronts. Some day you'll sort it out. But for now some simple advice is to not blame your surroundings for your current dilema - whatever that may be. That simple idea will take you miles in life.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
2 months of cold weather? S.A.D. in CT? Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Northern Maine maybe, but CT? Good Lord we have two months of "Winter"

Have fun in Miami, just realize Hartford has more sunny days per year. No, really, it does - that's a statistical fact.

Agreed.

Really? Let me see, I just logged on to give you some help after a 13 hour day of busting my stones HARD and saw this. Nevermind, forget it. Thanks for wasting my time.

You have NO real world experience as a mechanic - NONE, are STILL IN SCHOOL for said profession and can't figure out why you can't find a job as a mechanic? Are you serious?

You seem to be very very green still on many fronts. Some day you'll sort it out. But for now some simple advice is to not blame your surroundings for your current dilema - whatever that may be. That simple idea will take you miles in life.
OK Im 20 years old.
SO of course i would be inexperienced in many areas.

Yeah there ARE NO JOBS.

hartford retail/wholesale jobs classifieds - craigslist

4 jobs a day WOW. Know how many people are applying for that 1 position????

Career builder, monster, snagajob nothing.

Not blame my surroundings?? .......Let's see no jobs, high cost of living, hmmmm.....

Let me ask you something. How am I suppose to get real world experience as a Mechanic if I cant get any "real world" experience if I cant get an ENTRY LEVEL AUTO TECH job?? DO you realize how retarded that is???

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Removed inapproppriate language

Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,180,698 times
Oi mate, I don't know about Hartford being dead job wise, but usually you have to hit pavement to find stuff. It might be a not so good job at first, but you have to build references and get training.

"Let me ask you something. How I suppose to get real world experience as a Mechanic if I cant get any "real world" experience if I cant get an ENTRY LEVEL AUTO TECH job?? DO you realize how retarded that is???"

How many shops have you been to? Besides, this might not be the particular time for that particular job but if you keep up your chops and keep trying probably will pan out. Sometimes in the more unexpected places, like the DPW of your town.

"Not blame my surroundings?? .......Let's see no jobs, high cost of living, hmmmm....."

There are jobs if you look right. High cost of living is a wash, sure but every region will rise and fall in that regard. People suck? People I've met in Connecticut tend to shoot whatever back they get from you... might be time to reconsider your approach.

~Paz

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate quote

Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,017 times
Veyron, all I can tell you is-two large car dealerships, that employed a bunch of mechanics, closed down near my house here. So, unfortunately you are competing with guys (male and female) from all these closed Chrysler and Gm places for a mechanic job. You should probably expand your job search nationwide and go where you get an offer. Let your school help you in this regard.

Have you considered joining the Army or other service?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Oi mate, I don't know about Hartford being dead job wise, but usually you have to hit pavement to find stuff. It might be a not so good job at first, but you have to build references and get training.

"Let me ask you something. How the HELL am I suppose to get real world experience as a Mechanic if I cant get any "real world" experience if I cant get an ENTRY LEVEL AUTO TECH job?? DO you realize how retarded that is???"

How many shops have you been to? Besides, this might not be the particular time for that particular job but if you keep up your chops and keep trying probably will pan out. Sometimes in the more unexpected places, like the DPW of your town.

"Not blame my surroundings?? .......Let's see no jobs, high cost of living, people suck here, hmmmm....."

There are jobs if you look right. High cost of living is a wash, sure but every region will rise and fall in that regard. People suck? People I've met in Connecticut tend to shoot whatever back they get from you... might be time to reconsider your approach.

~Paz
Yeah online job search is pretty much useless.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Veyron, all I can tell you is-two large car dealerships, that employed a bunch of mechanics, closed down near my house here. So, unfortunately you are competing with guys (male and female) from all these closed Chrysler and Gm places for a mechanic job. You should probably expand your job search nationwide and go where you get an offer. Let your school help you in this regard.

Have you considered joining the Army or other service?

The problem is Im kind of stuck here in CT until I complete my automotive courses.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM

44 posts, read 153,759 times
Quote:
OK Im 20 years old.
SO of course i would be inexperienced in many areas.

Not blame my surroundings?? .......Let's see no jobs, high cost of living, hmmmm.....

Let me ask you something. How am I suppose to get real world experience as a Mechanic if I cant get any "real world" experience if I cant get an ENTRY LEVEL AUTO TECH job?? DO you realize how retarded that is???
Veyron -- I don't think anyone is ragging on you for being young or inexperienced. We've all been there. They're hassling you because you complain about it and blame everything else for your problems. Sometimes when the world seems to be against you and nothing goes your way, you need to step back and realize that the common denominator in all that is YOU. Whether it's your attitude, or your approach, or your training, it's not the fault of the people around you. So great, you're in school to learn the skills. That's good, keep it up, work hard. As for jobs, well yeah a ton of people are applying for every opening. It's always that way. Did you expect to have it handed to you? Gaining experience may take some leg work and creativity, and you may have to look beyond the internet boards. Have you tried going in person to every business you can find that is even remotely appropriate? Dress professionally, present yourself well, bring copies of your resume and letters of recommendation. Maybe you won't find that full time job immediately. Maybe you need to part time it or even intern/volunteer (!) to start building a name for yourself and gain experience. Be a little flexible and open minded. You never know where things will lead. I don't blame you for being frustrated, and I really wish you luck, but you're going to have to put in the effort.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut