Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM

92 posts, read 202,163 times

Advertisements

Quick follow up... I just went on to the CT Department of Environmental Protection's website, and the only animals in CT that hunt deer are (1) coyotes; (2) bobcats; and (3) occassionally black bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM

371 posts, read 1,563,160 times
Elle423, do you live in New Fairfield? Our neighbor did say we have coyote back there and that this was the first time he heard all of that the other morning...he said they shouldn't harm our children...I hope he is right!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Yes, I live in NF. We had two coyotes living in the woods behind our house this past winter. I only saw them once at about 8 a.m. on a snowy morning sneaking into a hole in the ground (basically the hole is dug up tree roots). We have three dogs, one very large & 2 medium/large who for about 3 months straight would constantly bark down into the coyote den. I was always a little nervous that there would be a problem between my dogs and the coyotes, but thankfully nothing really happend and the coyotes seem to have moved out. I did call DEP this winter to find out what I could do to have the coyotes removed, and the answer I got was basically nothing. The person I spoke to suggested I could do some things that would make the coyotes uncomfortable enough to leave. But honestly I thought his suggestions were a little silly, and I didn't bother (Like sprinkling soap suds down the hole, running an extension cord to the hole and setting up a boom box to irritate the coyotes (I probably would have irritated my neighbors more though ). He even suggested that I bang pots and pans and yell at the coyotes if I saw them again. As if!!! Like I said in my earlier post, I'm from NYC and we just don't do that sort of thing! too scared haahaa!
Seriously though, I think you're neighbor is probably right that the coyotes will not bother you or your children. After all, they never went after my annoying dogs who were actually looking for trouble!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Elle,

I missed your original post...I just went back and read it. Do you have any children in the schools? Have you been to the "beach" yet?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM

No, no kids...just the dogs And no, I've never been to the "beach." From what I've heard, there's not much of one! My sister-in-law used to take her kids when they were little and they did like it. The kids took swimming lessons there, and the moms hung out and had a good time also.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM

172 posts, read 606,859 times
That's sounds like a bobcat. We have them here in Alabama. I live on an 80 acre tract of wooded property and we get them all the time. Sounds like a baby crying or, sometimes, a woman screaming. I'm betting it's a bobcat

Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
It's a coyote. They are vile things that can mimic sounds like you wouldn't believe. A baby crying would be one of them.

I have them all around me...well, I did anyway. They actually got my neighbor's yippie dog bark down to a science! I was walking around my back woods thinking his dog got loose and was barking for help, but then realized...Leo was inside. One flash of the mega spot light showed a few pairs of eyes.

Do not......DO NOT trust your children around them. Well you can but don't freak out if something happens. They are predators, they are scavengers and they prey on the weak and young. Guess how a small child looks to them?

Don't bother calling the CT DEP - they are useless and would rather see the coyote protected then your children.

One solution is a big dog that knows how to deal with them. A Caucasian shepherd is a start.

Course you have the old redneck trick of soaking chicken legs in antifreeze and hanging them at coyote height. Not saying to do that...just saying what I know some people have done.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,830,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
No more noises this morning but we did find a small deer leg on our front lawn! My husband found it while lowing the lawn...it looks like it has been there a few days, it didn't have white spots on it like adoe would have but it wasn't a big leg either. What animal could have tore this deer apart besides a human?
Based on this info, my guess would be the noises you heard were from a red fox. They shriek just like crying, angry babies. Also, if a coyote had gotten hold of a deer he would have picked it clean down to the bone. I don't think the red fox would attack a deer though.

If you have kids and/or dogs and think you have coyotes roaming your woods, I would consider putting up a fence where you let the kids/dogs play.

Last edited by renovating; 07-07-2009 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Clarification!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,830,518 times
Default If you need help

You could try calling an animal control company. I had good results using such a service over the years for problem animals including groundhog, turkey, and bats.

They were knowledgeable of handling most any animals in CT. I don't know how they would deal with coyotes, but a phone call and/or a visit will tell you. They were based in Litchfield but worked in Fairfield and neighboring counties even NY State. I don't know if appropriate to post name here so if you want name/info etc. send me an email or PM.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM

My husband spoke to another neighbor who said that there is a coyote family living way back in the woods but further down the street. The crying sounds sounded like it was coming from the victim here, not the one doing the attacking. And the deer leg had no meat on it...it was just the bone with some tan fur on it. I might just need to call that person you suggested jimazee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut