Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,680 times

Advertisements

My family and I - currently car-less - plan to move from Manhattan to Connecticut in a couple of weeks. We will need a car basically from Day 1 once we move to CT. My driver's license is currently issued by NYS.

I could buy a car in NY shortly before the move, with the car registration and insurance done in NY, based on my current NY address, and then switch everything over to CT once I make the move. However, I am wondering if there is a more streamlined approach, such as buying the car from a CT dealer (as an out-of-state buyer), just before the move, using an "in-transit registration" in CT, and then formally register the car in CT once I make the move. That would save me the step of registering the car in NY, but I don't know if this approach would fly with the CT DMV. In any case, I imagine that I am not the first person to have encountered this challenge. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has dealt with similar issues, including on any other approach that I might have missed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

332 posts, read 522,097 times
Surprisingly the CT DMV was pretty helpful over the phone with advice on co-ordinating a move. I would just call them. You could also try to establish CT residency before your actual move (maybe your closing/lease signing is before the move?).

Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 221,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNY View Post
My family and I - currently car-less - plan to move from Manhattan to Connecticut in a couple of weeks. We will need a car basically from Day 1 once we move to CT. My driver's license is currently issued by NYS.

I could buy a car in NY shortly before the move, with the car registration and insurance done in NY, based on my current NY address, and then switch everything over to CT once I make the move. However, I am wondering if there is a more streamlined approach, such as buying the car from a CT dealer (as an out-of-state buyer), just before the move, using an "in-transit registration" in CT, and then formally register the car in CT once I make the move. That would save me the step of registering the car in NY, but I don't know if this approach would fly with the CT DMV. In any case, I imagine that I am not the first person to have encountered this challenge. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has dealt with similar issues, including on any other approach that I might have missed. Thanks.

If you have the address where you are moving to in a couple weeks I would just say I just moved there and register it in CT, why jump through hoops and pay all of the extra money. If you buy a car from a dealer they will do it all for you. Remember to change you license over to CT not sure what that entails, but I think it has to be done within 30 -90 days

Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,680 times
Default Moving from NY to CT - Need Buy Car

Thank you both for your helpful advice.

I have spoken to both the CT DMV and a car dealer in CT. The person that I spoke to at the DMV at first thought that my idea of buying a car in CT using an "in-transit" registration might work, but upon further probing, she had to consult others internally. After holding for 15 min., I was told that in fact such approach would not fly. She actually suggested that I buy the car in NY first and then switch the registration over to CT after my move, which I thought was not the best approach for my situation. The dealer I spoke to had no particular advice other than to refer me to the DMV, but he did think that he cannot sell me a CT-registered car unless I had a CT license.

What I have settled on is to make the move to CT first and apply, as you have suggested, as soon as my lease is signed, for a CT driver's license. As soon as I have my license - hopefully the turn-around time is short - I will buy the car from a CT dealer. I will simply have to rent a car to tide me over until I get to buy my own.

Thanks again and, despite the hassles over car registration, I am looking forward to living in CT.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 PM

12 posts, read 35,208 times
thanks for this info, i am about to make the same move. did you research whether it was cheaper to purchase a car in nyc or connecticut (car price, registration, taxes)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut