Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM

275 posts, read 1,286,002 times

Advertisements

Jmarkey, you are correct, I live in Evans right now. It's nice and I have a huge home for not alot of money (compared to CT anyway). Just curious what brought you to Evans, then back again to CT? What are some comparisons you could provide between the two, both positive and negative?
Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM

661 posts, read 2,888,034 times
Well, let's see if I can put this in a nutshell.

Back in 1989, my husband got out of the Navy. Our first home was way too small for two growing kids and the CT economy was a little expensive for us at the stage we were at.

He was offered a job at SRS. Once we researched cost of living, we moved down. We lived in Halifax North, behind Blue Ridge Elementary, for seven years.

An opportunity arose to move back north in 1996. My daughter tried it, but had pretty much lost her Yankee heritage and went back to GA. She graduated from ASU with a bachelor's in teaching and I don't think she'll ever leave that area. We came back south last year to Tennessee. Again, NE cost of living was more than I wanted to shell out for and I missed her. TN is great - a beautiful state, very affordable though not as affordable as GA.

Comparisons are tough. I love CT and New England in general, but they don't have much of anything in common. People in both states are wonderful, though your initial impression of New Englanders will be that they're more aloof. They don't stay that way and a friend in New England is a friend for life. Cost of living can't be compared. Do a realtor.com check for Killingly, CT. That's one of the least expensive areas in CT. I hate to be negative, and I do love CT, but it's a hard transition from GA to CT. On the plus side, New England is so beautiful. I missed the scenery when we lived in GA.

My suggestion to you would be to go to the trouble and expense to make a trip up there. Get a feel for whether you like it and how much things cost. Your pay will probably go up quite a bit, but so will everything else.

I sent you a PM.

If I think of anything else useful, I'll let you know. Any other questions you have, feel free to throw out there.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,971,037 times
jmarkey

glad it has worked out for you- and it will for some people, but not all.
One of the biggest problems I have with the south is the social conservatism that exists on issues like abortion, gay rights and the rather cloying religious 'indoctrination' etc-

These attitudes are likely decades behind New England progressivism - and that for ME that is a major issue in any consideration of living there, plus a plethora of other 'cultural intangibles'...

The extra costs I pay here are worth not having these uncomfortable feelings I would get in the south on important issues such as social attitudes and the regions rather religious and dogmatic fundamentalism.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-23-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Skytrekker, I can appreciate how you feel and the south is not everyone's glass of sweet tea.

But....I'm about as far from conservative as you can get. I'm a firm believer in gay rights, I'm pro-choice and I have a problem with organized religion.

Whether I was in Georgia or Tennessee or even South Carolina for awhile, my beliefs were never a problem. I'll grant you, probably overall those conservative beliefs are more common in the south. But finding like-minded people was never a problem no matter where I lived. And no one ever forced their beliefs on me. If we thought differently about some things, we just let it lay.

People are people all over. I can't lump one area of the country together and say everyone's the same. We've lived north, south, east, and west with my husband being in the service. It's always amazed me how much alike we all are. There are narrow minded people everywhere. I avoid them in the south as much as I avoided them in the north.

Sure, there are pockets of odd places in the south, but I don't find the north is more progressive at all. I've found just as many odd pockets in Vermont and love that state, too.

I think it's just a matter of what place you love and where you feel most comfortable. Any argument of one place being better than another is a waste of breath. What place do you love? Live there and be happy.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM

567 posts, read 2,134,737 times
Well said! I've lived North and South and agree.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Skytrekker, I can appreciate how you feel and the south is not everyone's glass of sweet tea.

But....I'm about as far from conservative as you can get. I'm a firm believer in gay rights, I'm pro-choice and I have a problem with organized religion.

Whether I was in Georgia or Tennessee or even South Carolina for awhile, my beliefs were never a problem. I'll grant you, probably overall those conservative beliefs are more common in the south. But finding like-minded people was never a problem no matter where I lived. And no one ever forced their beliefs on me. If we thought differently about some things, we just let it lay.

People are people all over. I can't lump one area of the country together and say everyone's the same. We've lived north, south, east, and west with my husband being in the service. It's always amazed me how much alike we all are. There are narrow minded people everywhere. I avoid them in the south as much as I avoided them in the north.

Sure, there are pockets of odd places in the south, but I don't find the north is more progressive at all. I've found just as many odd pockets in Vermont and love that state, too.

I think it's just a matter of what place you love and where you feel most comfortable. Any argument of one place being better than another is a waste of breath. What place do you love? Live there and be happy.
I applaud you for your courage and views- I hope you can 'teach' those ideas in a non confrontational way- you are a vocal minority that gives the region hope in the future.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM

I have a lot of respect for the information you post and your knowledge of the state.

I'll take that as my big fat compliment of the day.

Thanks!!

Old 05-23-2007, 05:35 PM

449 posts, read 1,123,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Why should we try North Carolina?
Grep P
why troll here

I frankly think that NC is A hell hole of backward religious idio6ts- that have no idea of the future- except for the so called low costs

bu then again you get for what you pay
I left Florida for NC about a yr ago-what a huge mistake! This is not the place to raise a child!!! I only came here because it was affordable for a single mom-and I am closer to family. Originally though I am from NY and have been to Conn may times-it's beautiful! I miss Northerners, I would consider moving there. I also here the schools are excellent The schools here are horrid!
Can anyone reccomend an affordable area for a single mom-we'd start out renting. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
I left Florida for NC about a yr ago-what a huge mistake! This is not the place to raise a child!!! I only came here because it was affordable for a single mom-and I am closer to family. Originally though I am from NY and have been to Conn may times-it's beautiful! I miss Northerners, I would consider moving there. I also here the schools are excellent The schools here are horrid!
Can anyone reccomend an affordable area for a single mom-we'd start out renting. Thanks for any info.
JBG

Its tough to break in anyplace today- if you dislike NC; there are surely pro and con about the state. People have different expectations in life; some folks may like the state, others may not- you have decided not.

You would like to come back north and have decided to consider Connecticut- we we all here want to welcome you!

What part of NY are from originally? In that way we might gather a cost comparison. Areas near NYC have the most jobs, but also have the highest rental and living costs.

What kind of employment are you seeking? What can you expect to pay for rent? What towns have you looked into? The Hartford area is considerably less expensive then the shoreline and southwestern CT

Lots of smart people here willing to help and assist.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 PM

449 posts, read 1,123,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
JBG

Its tough to break in anyplace today- if you dislike NC; there are surely pro and con about the state. People have different expectations in life; some folks may like the state, others may not- you have decided not.

You would like to come back north and have decided to consider Connecticut- we we all here want to welcome you!

What part of NY are from originally? In that way we might gather a cost comparison. Areas near NYC have the most jobs, but also have the highest rental and living costs.

What kind of employment are you seeking? What can you expect to pay for rent? What towns have you looked into? The Hartford area is considerably less expensive then the shoreline and southwestern CT

Lots of smart people here willing to help and assist.
Thank you for your reply! Let's see I'm originally from Poughkeepsie (have you heard of it?). How far is Hartford from the shoreline?
I currently work in retail but its a pretty good position and I could probably transfer. I'd like to be near a local college, I plan to take some courses. I don't need to be in a large city, but I don't want to live in a very rural area either. Hmm not sure about what i'd be willing to pay in rent,as low as possible but in a decent area $500-$800?? My rent here in NC is extremely low, and im in a nice town-BUT-the schools are awful. I can't stay here and sacrifice my son's education. Being close to the shoreline would be nice-but of course I know it's more expensive. My place in Fl was $1350, but I could never have afforded that on my own, although I was 4 min from the beach
Thanks again! I can't imagine Connecticut would be as expensive as South Fla-definetly don't want to have to get a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut