Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,293 times

Advertisements

To anyone in the Real Estate business in CT:

My recent temporary relocation to NC has enlightened me to the dangers of toxic drywall manufactured in China. It hits close to home; one local couple has filed a lawsuit recently. Also in my rental house (new construction), there are two stainless steel undermount sinks made in China that emit a foul chemical smell from the acoustical pads (for sound deadening) on their underside. This vapor built up over days until windows were opened, and caused headaches/sore throats. We are having them removed from the house. So I am concerned about all building materials imported from China. We plan to move back to CT in the spring, to purchase (possibly remodel) or build. I know that personally, I will not put anything in my new home that was manufactured in China! I strongly suggest that if anyone has an undermount sink installed, to make sure it's not from "unknown" nor emits a foul vapor, and will not begin to once hot water is used in the sink. I am personally avoiding ANYTHING made in China now.

I have kept my eyes and ears open and have learned that this drywall is being discovered in many other states, including CT. I am curious if there are any protections being put in place for the homebuyer concerning this issue. I know that here in the south, there are certain disclosures.

This is a really sad, huge problem that has only begun to reveal itself. I know the physical signs to look for, but what else can the homebuyer do?

Thanks in advance for any input. Also curious if anyone has heard of this being a problem in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
I, personally, haven't heard anything about the drywall issue in CT yet. Obviously it's becoming a huge issue in the South. I think this new discovery is very interesting (and sad). It's essentially the asbestos, lead paint, UFFI, etc. of our era.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
I agree with Amy. I heard the story a few months ago on the news. There was an implication that the builders were trying to get drywall from any source possible due to the construction boom at the time. The implication was also made that costs were also cut.

Some of that drywall might have made it up here. But it was primarily supplied to the South (especially the Carolinas).

Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
As an electrician I never come across toxic drywall ....yet. And just like asbestos wasn't found out until after the fact...I'm sure the batted insulation we use or something else we use today; will be known in the future for heath effects.

I really want my cabin in the woods now.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
The can of worms is just starting to open. In the pursuit of more cheap crap, we have dug a hole that is going to take a long time to get out of IMO.

Maybe we as Americans will stop running to the cheapest cheap thing out there and realize the Chinese don't give a crap about anything except collecting our dollars. They don't care if they poisen our people because they don't care if they poisen their own people!

We put a stranglehold on our companies for environmental concerns, and China doesn't give a crap about theirs and dump raw sewage and toxic sludge whereever. They under value their currency which creates unfair trade practices etc etc.

Same for many work safety issues. Chinaman lost an arm? Bring in the next guy and toss the armless guy in the pile of used up people.

The problem is, I don't think you can find much made outside of China these days. I know in my old business, we did all we could to source US parts to make our products, but we simply could not on some fronts. There was simply no US supplier out there.

What you can find that is USA made with USA sourced parts, DO SO. Period.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Just build a log cabin. Period. The cost is substantially less.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
Just build a log cabin. Period. The cost is substantially less.
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

Purchase 20-30 acres in the North Woods, harvest timber on the land, have a local portable lumber processor come up and build from the harvested wood. It's done more than people think!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,293 times
Default True..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The problem is, I don't think you can find much made outside of China these days.
I'm finding that out, unfortunately....
Here's an article I came across about one woman's futile attempt to boycott Chinese products:
One mom's fruitless quest to boycott China - Holiday retail- msnbc.com

I can relate to this, as the family shopper. But the important thing is that we are becoming aware of what's going on, and can be more careful. Especially with building products, and things that we eat or give to our kids or pets. Trying to shop local, especially with produce, is always a good idea.

I'm grateful to have learned about the building products now, before we purchase, remodel or build again. (And ever cautious about whatever else may be around the corner...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut