Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
lfw lfw started this thread

1 posts, read 8,023 times

Advertisements

I just started my new job in East Hartford, CT. I have two kids: 1-year old, and 5-year old. I am looking for a house in Hartford area. I heard that Glastonbury is a very nice town, and convenient commute to work. But I am wondering if there are any good day care/preschools for my youger one, and any good athlectic/art/music activities for my older one to attend in that town. BTW, I am big fan of Montessori schools. But it seems that there is only a small 2-classroom Montessori school in South Glastonbury. In West Hartford, there is a much larger Montessori school. Any advice and experiences on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfw View Post
I just started my new job in East Hartford, CT. I have two kids: 1-year old, and 5-year old. I am looking for a house in Hartford area. I heard that Glastonbury is a very nice town, and convenient commute to work. But I am wondering if there are any good day care/preschools for my youger one, and any good athlectic/art/music activities for my older one to attend in that town. BTW, I am big fan of Montessori schools. But it seems that there is only a small 2-classroom Montessori school in South Glastonbury. In West Hartford, there is a much larger Montessori school. Any advice and experiences on this? Thanks.
For daycare it's a no brainer. Bright Horizon's on Naubuc ave in the center of town is run by one of the best directors in the business. Great place, great staff.

Glastonbury is one of the nicest towns in the Hartford area - you will do fine. I can't really help on the other questions, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck and welcome to Metro Hartford!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:19 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
ifw - Welcome to Connecticut. Glastonbury is a wonderful town full of great family activities. There are a number of good daycares and preschools in town. I am not sure they will fit your desires for a Montessori School but they are very well regarded. I recommend Aloha on Hebron Avenue. The owner/director, Joanne, was my kid's daycare teacher and she was great. She would line the one years up in highchairs at lunchtime and teach them the alphabet. My kids learn a lot from her at a very young age. I also hear great things about Mrs. Garo's school on Querido Drive. She does it in her home but neighbors that use her love it there.

As for activites for your older child, there are a lot. Glastonbury has great sports programs for soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse and basketball. We have great programs at the Oakwood Soccer Center on Oakwood Drive. There is also an inline skating center (Z Rink) on Eastern Boulevard.

For arts and music, there are a number of programs offered by the town parks and rec department as well as the Glastonbury Arts Association. There are also performing arts programs (our friends have their son in them) but I do not know much about them. If you have any other questions, do not hestiate to ask. Jay

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
Hi lfw,
I will be moving to Glastonbury in August. I was there a few weeks ago and I also need a Montessori environment for my 3 year old, so she can complete the first Montessori cycle at least. Eventually, my husband and I decided to commute a little and registered my daughter at Oak Grove Montessori school in Mansfield Center. They have a program that goes to 6th grade. We know we will keep my child there until kindergarten, then she will probably attend a public school. We met with the director and the preschool teacher and we were pleased. I am sorry I can not offer direct experience, but I also posted about this school a month ago and had zero answer.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,584 times
Post Developmentally appropriate activities for one's and two's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
ifw - Welcome to Connecticut. Glastonbury is a wonderful town full of great family activities. There are a number of good daycares and preschools in town. I am not sure they will fit your desires for a Montessori School but they are very well regarded. I recommend Aloha on Hebron Avenue. The owner/director, Joanne, was my kid's daycare teacher and she was great. She would line the one years up in highchairs at lunchtime and teach them the alphabet. My kids learn a lot from her at a very young age. I also hear great things about Mrs. Garo's school on Querido Drive. She does it in her home but neighbors that use her love it there.

As for activites for your older child, there are a lot. Glastonbury has great sports programs for soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse and basketball. We have great programs at the Oakwood Soccer Center on Oakwood Drive. There is also an inline skating center (Z Rink) on Eastern Boulevard.

For arts and music, there are a number of programs offered by the town parks and rec department as well as the Glastonbury Arts Association. There are also performing arts programs (our friends have their son in them) but I do not know much about them. If you have any other questions, do not hestiate to ask. Jay
~~~Lining up one or two year olds for any activity is developmentally inappropriate.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyed View Post
~~~Lining up one or two year olds for any activity is developmentally inappropriate.
Why? I did not mean that they lined them up standing. They had the high chairs in a row while they ate and showed them the alphabet as they ate. She made a game of it. It worked wonderfully. I truly think that this was the beginning of my older son's love for reading. I only wish she was there for my younger son to get him interested. Also note that this thread is over 2 years old now. Jay

Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Post Glastonbury Nursery and Daycare Providers

The Superintendent of Glastonbury Public Schools will send you a resource booklet of all private nursery schools and daycare providers servicing Glastonbuy children:

distributed through the office of:
Alan B. Bookman, Ph. D
Superintendent of Schools
Glastonbury Public Schools
Glastonbury, CT 06033

or call
Pupil Services Dept. at 652-7972

Interview providers, observe, ask friends before you place your child. Call 211 for a list of questions to ask potential caregiver.
And then, drop in unannounced after your child is placed.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Showed the one year olds the alphabet while they ate.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Showed the one year olds the alphabet while they ate.
What is wrong with that???

Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Interesting. My wife has her Masters in ECE and has been a center director for about 15 years and in the "business" since a teen.

I asked her opinion about this and it was: "Well...It's not the worst thing in the world, but yes I would agree with that" (Your' statement above)

From what I hear Aloha does not have a great reputation among those in the "business". (Talking about teachers, directors etc.) I have no first hand experience, just sharing what I was told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut