Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 AM

82 posts, read 99,262 times

Advertisements

I am considering the purchase of a house that is directly across from a farm field and I think it may be pepper plants that are growing. The field is relatively small, 5-10acres I would guess. I would get a wonderful view outside the kitchen window, however I was wondering if there is any downside living next to farm?

Maybe water runoff? water quality? pesticides in the air?

Also heard there was talk of turning the field into a housing development which would probably help the real estate value but could be noisy an inconvenient while being built.

any advise?

Thank you,

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Regarding the idea of the farm turning into a housing development, you forget another point: if you're buying it because you like the idea of looking out at a farm or a general "country" view, you will lose that in spades once the housing development is built. In some ways it might actually lower your property value, like if demand for the housing development is lower than expected.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I would first be aware that the farm is not yours and is not there for your view from your kitchen window. It is owned by someone else who has the right to do what they want to it as long as it is within the property's current zoning.

I have a friend that bought across from a large corn field and assumed that it would remain that way forever. Was she surprised when someone bought it and built a couple of houses. She called me up and asked what could be done to stop the homes from being built and I told her to buy it herself. Of course she couldn't afford that but she put up a major stink about the plans and drove me a bit crazy with questions and attitude.

I would check a little further into the plans to develop the property and see if this is real or not. I would also be sure to check the home's water supply. Also remember that farms use fertilizer and tractors so expect smells and noise. If the farmer lives there, I would also try to make friends with him/her. Let them know you are not there to change things. Jay

Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhenry View Post

Also heard there was talk of turning the field into a housing development which would probably help the real estate value but could be noisy an inconvenient while being built.
A new housing development might not help your real estate value, but could in fact hurt it, depending on how the new development was built, and how it fits with the character of your town.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
These are three excellent responses. When you buy a property, you buy that property and that property alone.

I had clients who purchased a property across from a small farm. The house had well water, and they tested for everything under the sun.

Of course, there is another possible downside. I knew someone in Durham (originally from New York City) who, at first, loved the idea of seeing cattle. A few months later, she was looking to move because she didn't realize they "smelled."

Old 07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Good points, all.

Not too far from my old neighborhood, there was a farm that existed for four generations. Some corn, hayfields, and of course, livestock. For some "extra" income, they also had a composting operation. Quite lucrative, as the local nurseries purchased the compost to sell to all of those folks that bought houses in those brand new cookie cutter subdivisions.

Well, the folks that purchased homes near the farm didn't like the idea of the smell, the flies, and the trucks haulin' compost in their new neighborhood. Enough folks signed a petition, a referendum was held on election day, and voila!

The zoning laws were changed, and that farm was forced to go out of business.

Not to worry, though. The owners of the farm sold their land for a real nice price.

To a developer, of course, and now there's ANOTHER brand new cookie cutter subdivision in its place.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
I'd die to buy a property with the farm included. Start planting and selling vegtables. What town is this in?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM

82 posts, read 99,262 times
Thanks for all your replies. I am aware that the farm is not my property and I have no say as to what goes on over there. I am just trying to find out what neighbors a farm will make. Since this will be my first home purchase I'm trying to see all the possibilities. From what I heard, there was serious negotiations a few years ago for a housing complex-12houses. But with the downturn in the economy it never happened and probably won't for a number of years. So I should be able to enjoy the view for a few years but I am prepared to lose it eventually. Does anyone know how long it takes for a small housing complex to complete start to finish? Could it be years of noise, trucks, traffic, etc??

Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I just want to point out that it could end up being more than 12 houses being built. It's not uncommon now for a developer to propose say, 12 homes, then have a town deny the application for one reason or another. Then the developer comes back with more than double or triple the amount of homes to be built, and designates 10% or so of the homes as "affordable". There is some kind of state law that makes it very difficult for towns to deny "affordable" building applications. That's happened in my town several times.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I just want to point out that it could end up being more than 12 houses being built. It's not uncommon now for a developer to propose say, 12 homes, then have a town deny the application for one reason or another. Then the developer comes back with more than double or triple the amount of homes to be built, and designates 10% or so of the homes as "affordable". There is some kind of state law that makes it very difficult for towns to deny "affordable" building applications. That's happened in my town several times.
This really does NOT happen very often if at all. The developer knows that he has to sell the development and most buyers are local so they do not want to risk alienating a segment of their potential customers. Also, zoning laws here in CT are pretty strong so the chances of a developer coming in and building more than is allowed is minimal. Also those affordability standards are pretty hard to meet and are not really all that profitable for a developer. I would not be scared by this, AT ALL. Just be aware that the property could be developed. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut