Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,246 times

Advertisements

My husband has become intrigued by the community feel of Rowayton. Can anyone share the pros and cons of the town versus, say Westport or Darien? We will be relocating soon with our 4 year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
The downside when compared to westport or darien would certainly be the schools as Rowayton is part of and shares it's schools with Norwalk which aren't nearly as good as the other two towns you listed.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Rowayton is part of Norwalk which is a small city with some urban issues. Though a very charming community the schools do not perform as well on Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Check out the links below for more information on schools in Norwalk. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 AM

330 posts, read 1,402,131 times
Rowayton is very villagey and community oriented. The elementary school is good - but the others are right - about test scores, etc. People walk to the town - popular spots are the Rowayton Market and Brendons 101 (best ice cream EVER) There are summer concerts - and Shakespeare on the Sound - great parades for Memorial Day and July 4, etc. Fireworks on Bayley Beach. I worked in Rowayton for a year and I still miss the people. It's like Mayberry. Most people know each other - everyone is very friendly.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Rowayton is a great option if you have young kids as the public elementary is a neighborhood school. It also has it's own station on the New Haven line; about an hour ride into NYC. The RR station is an easy walk from anywhere in Rowayton so no concerns regarding parking. Many who use the public schools will tend to move to another town with lower taxes and better middle and high schools as their kids get older; private schools are an option but can cost as much as $20k per year. Your kids could get access to great public schools and great sports programs in communities like Darien, New Canaan or Westport depending on your work commute situation. Rowayton has a real New England small-seaport feel to it which is really nice. It might be a good idea to rent there; sometimes you can get an off-season summer / beach rental or "academic" rental from Sept-June which might be a good idea to check out the area. People who own waterfront homes that they use themselves or rent-out in the summer might even give you a great last-minute deal on a rental.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,684 times
Smile Rowayton is a Great Option

I live in Rowayton and Darien with my parents and can say that Rowayton was a great place to grow up. Rowayton's real estate is more expensive than Darien's and Westport's on the whole, however, their taxes are a little lower because they are apart of the sixth taxing district, which is linked with Norwalk. Moreover, Rowayton only has an elementary school and if you attend a public school, Norwalk is a poor choice because they achieve unbelievably low on standardized tests. This is why I attend a private school (KLHT). KLHT is located in Stamford, which is the city adjacent to Norwalk and Darien. Personally, I love Rowayton and Darien!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc View Post
I live in Rowayton and Darien with my parents and can say that Rowayton was a great place to grow up. Rowayton's real estate is more expensive than Darien's and Westport's on the whole, however, their taxes are a little lower because they are apart of the sixth taxing district, which is linked with Norwalk. Moreover, Rowayton only has an elementary school and if you attend a public school, Norwalk is a poor choice because they achieve unbelievably low on standardized tests. This is why I attend a private school (KLHT). KLHT is located in Stamford, which is the city adjacent to Norwalk and Darien. Personally, I love Rowayton and Darien!
Let's make this clear, Rowayton is not part of Darien. When someone say they live in Rowayton, they live in a part of Norwalk. If they live in Darien near Rowayton, they will say they live in Darien. It is that simple. Jay

Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,684 times
Wink Response to Jay

I'm fully aware that Rowayton and Darien are two separate places. But thanks for the reaffirmation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut