Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why? My children who live in a nice middle class neighborhood because I work hard to pay the taxes & stay here have to go to school with ghetto trash from the other side of town because of our feel good integration laws.
So now, no matter how hard I'v tried to keep them away from drugs & interested in sports ect, they have to run a gauntlet of drug dealers & gangs every day to get an education in this great state.
they would be much better off if we lived in a state with reasonable property taxes so that a middle class family could send their kids to private school.
Why would you want to send kids to private school when you can send them to more down to Earth, and well rounded public schools in CT? Yes taxes are higher, but it's worth it for education as far as I'm concerned. JMO. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM

181 posts, read 557,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why? My children who live in a nice middle class neighborhood because I work hard to pay the taxes & stay here have to go to school with ghetto trash from the other side of town because of our feel good integration laws.
So now, no matter how hard I'v tried to keep them away from drugs & interested in sports ect, they have to run a gauntlet of drug dealers & gangs every day to get an education in this great state.
they would be much better off if we lived in a state with reasonable property taxes so that a middle class family could send their kids to private school.
Wow, tell me how you really feel. All I'm saying is I grew up in those very neighborhoods, and I don't feel like trash. And to be honest, at the highschool that I went to there were way more kids involved with selling and using drugs, alcohol, and violence in those upper middle class neighborhoods than there were in those "ghetto trash" neighborhoods. Don't get me wrong there were people that did and used all of those things, but there was an understanding that those were the very things that kept many people in ignorance and poverty for their entire lives. I am all about lower taxes and less government, but socioeconomic segregation is just as wrong as any other type of segregation and ought not to be perpetuated in thought, and certainly not in action.

Maybe I am am blowing a bunch of steam because Groton is completely different from every single other town in CT and those middle and upper class kids are all good, and would remain that way were they not tainted by the untouchable, third-class proletariat.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:38 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,428 times
Quote:
I am all about lower taxes and less government, but socioeconomic segregation is just as wrong as any other type of segregation and ought not to be perpetuated in thought, and certainly not in action.
But this is life. Some people have more money than you and some have less. It's not "segregation" it's just how it is. That' like me saying that I don't have enough money to live in Greenwich, so the state needs to supplement my income so I can live there and not feel inferior. It's ridiculous.
If you have a lot of money and you spend a lot of money on your property taxes, you should have the right to enjoy the good schools in that area.
It's a shame that more often than not, the quality of the schools will often reflect the income of the area. But who's fault is that?

I don't know whoever said "you can't multiply weath by dividing it" but I totally agree with it.

But the school issue is proof that it's not money and taxes that make a school good. It's the people in the community, the parents, the kids themselves. There are plenty of bad schools in CT and plenty of good schools down south (despite what people think, there are some fantastic public schools in the south, like northern Virginia)where communities manage to have good schools and realistic taxes.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
But this is life. Some people have more money than you and some have less. It's not "segregation" it's just how it is. That' like me saying that I don't have enough money to live in Greenwich, so the state needs to supplement my income so I can live there and not feel inferior. It's ridiculous.
If you have a lot of money and you spend a lot of money on your property taxes, you should have the right to enjoy the good schools in that area.
It's a shame that more often than not, the quality of the schools will often reflect the income of the area. But who's fault is that?

I don't know whoever said "you can't multiply weath by dividing it" but I totally agree with it.

But the school issue is proof that it's not money and taxes that make a school good. It's the people in the community, the parents, the kids themselves. There are plenty of bad schools in CT and plenty of good schools down south (despite what people think, there are some fantastic public schools in the south, like northern Virginia)where communities manage to have good schools and realistic taxes.
Good points. The reality is, the chasm will exist so long as we continue to have 169 towns and cities retaining their own autonomy. The only way that the playing field could be leveled would be for us to change to a county government format. There's no way that will ever happen. I'm not sure that i would want that style either.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The only way that the playing field could be leveled would be for us to change to a county government format. There's no way that will ever happen. I'm not sure that i would want that style either.
Milford wouldn't want that style either. Many in that city claim they are part of Fairfield County. Wasn't there a proposal by a Milford official a few years back that pushed to change the county boundary to move Milford in with FFC?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
I grew up in Stamford and have been living in Austin, Texas for 4 years. I am soon to be joined by one of my high school classmates. The friends I grew up with in Fairfield County generally fall under one of 4 categories.

1. Finance/Banking employees that can afford to live in the county comfortably. This is pretty rare.
2. Adults approaching age 30 who are still living with their parents but could be on their own pretty much anywhere else while holding similar jobs.
3. People who are making a whole lot more than I am here in Austin but are just scraping by to live independently and still cannot afford the quality of life that I am able to sustain here.
4. Gone.

I would like to move back to Connecticut in the future (probably New Haven) because it is my home, but this is a good place to be for people in my situation.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Before you move to a "red" state with a warmer climate, my only suggestion would be for you to make sure your kids finish school in CT. You'll be glad you did.
My kids are in private schools anyway, so i'm not to concerned.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I just graduated college and lived in CT all my life. I am trying to move out (south) mostly because I can't stand the cold dreary weather we seem to get for most of the year. I love biking and it's not fun 8 months out of the year here, too cold. So right now I'm thinking of moving to Austin, or other cities in the south.

The housing here in CT is outrageous. You have to live in the ghetto in a 100 yr old house if you can only afford 500-600 /month. Pay is higher than most other places, but that doesn't matter since it seems impossible for me to get a job here either. I had one interview since I seriously started looking back in the spring.

I don't know if it's just CT, but there are no REAL entry level jobs out there. I thought by getting a BS in a business field (finance), I'd at least be able to make $15/hr - all I could get is data entry for 10/hr. What a joke. I spent 3 years during college working in warehouses, and I'd make more money doing that again - lifting boxes all day. What does that say about our economy, that a business school grad with a decent gpa can make more money lifting boxes?

As far as I can tell, there is no career available for me to pursue. I didn't go to an IVY league and get a 3.5+gpa with internships thrown at me. I've networked and job search 40+hours a week all summer. I feel completely worthless and decided I might as well live in a climate that I enjoy and work meaningless jobs than freeze my butt off here in CT and work meaningless jobs.

Back to CT: drivers are maniacs here, many of them. They get out of work and race around town on side roads like they are on the freeway. Live the CT lifestyle - work your butt off, get super stressed out, try to one-up your coworkers.........all so you can afford your fancy overpriced house and luxury car that you own to impress your "friends", and blow all your remaining money on useless crap at the gazillion stores and restaurants.

I'm not sure if it's been said: CT is the epitome of the "RAT RACE" - yeah, have fun with that. The only exceptions are the small quiet towns AWAY from the interstates where slower pace "country living" is more the norm.
First of all, no place is perfect. I laughed when I read this and the other posts after it. For you I will say that sometimes you must take one step back in order to take two steps forward. I started out looking for jobs in Connecticut and ended up taking my first job in New JErsey. Is this what I wanted, no but it was a start and that is what you need to do, get a start. I encourage you to look around for a job that will start you on your career. Keep in mind that it will not be a great job but it will be a job that can lead to a better one.

To the poster that complained there is nothing to do in Connecticut , I say that you are just lazy. There is a lot to do here or certainly near here. In the winter get off you butt and go out and enjoy the wide array of winter sports available. Skiing, ice skating, sledding etc. are all not too far away. Entertainment is offered all over the state so you should be able to find something to do. This is true just about anywhere. Jay

Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
City is pretty bad for both the young and urban. I don't think it is the cost per say it is that CT is very suburban and doesn't lend itself well to cultured urbane living. CT is a great place to settle down, when you are older, put the children in a good school and travel to interesting places like Boston or NY.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Why would you want to send kids to private school when you can send them to more down to Earth, and well rounded public schools in CT? Yes taxes are higher, but it's worth it for education as far as I'm concerned. JMO. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Theres a difference between down to earth & what kids around here need to go to school with. I live here & have no problems with anybody I run into, but I can & do choose not to hang out in projects & places like that where drugs and sex are pedaled.
My kids cannot choose not to be around these things if they go to public school in Norwalk. Matter of fact the bus they take has two stops, Roodner Court in Norwalk and theirs. Every other day they are subject to racism & intimidation, but its ok, because we are white. The bus driver knows, but she is a minority and above discipline for allowing it. They have been acosted on the street by these kids during the summer months as well because they do not wear their pants below their butts or smoke weed and other things with them.

Its pretty sad when you pay near $10,000 a year in taxes to live in a decent neighborhood and your children need to go to school with people like this.

I realize all CT is not like this but its a fact of life in the Cities of Fairfield County.

Aside from this issue and taxation I love where I live and God willing my kids will be able to fight the peer pressure better than their friends, so far so good.

I always said & thought exactly like you just did, but its beyond rediculous at this point. Kids should go to school where they live, if the parents dont like it they should do whats needed to improve their neighborhoods.

But we can agree to dissagree. This is my rant for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut