Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,930,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I didn't ask you to forgive and forget anything (which is actually nothing at all, but you can take "other's" word for it). If I'd like to get a point across to you, I certainly will. You should know that by now.

Jeesh, sometimes I feel like I've entered a first grade classroom when I log onto these boards.
I was just joking around with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM

138 posts, read 419,197 times
Did someone not understand your "nasty-nice" comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I was just joking around with you.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Stratford, CT: I highly recommend you order White Lily flour off the Internet. I have cooked with Stop & Shop flour, King Arthur, and White Lily. You can definitely taste the difference. White Lily produces lighter and fluffier biscuits and scones. I had my boyfriend bring in scones to work this morning and the first email I got from his coworker was, 'Did you use a different flour?' Not kidding. And I don't care where this flour is produced (it's now being produced up north), that doesn't make a difference to me. I just care about the quality.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18flour.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It had been somewhat difficult too find, but i think within the last couple years all of the major grocery chains have started carrying it here. It's the only brand that i use now.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM

834 posts, read 2,269,943 times
that was a very interesting article on the flour. I wonder why it's now being made at a new factory in the midwest? IME, whenever anything is made by a new company or in a new plant, it is never the same. So I doubt the flour will ever be the same as pointed out by the bakers.
I know years ago, my dog's food looked different and they didn't seem to like it as much. I actually emailed the company about it and they said it was being manufactured in a new plant but assured me it was the same food. My dogs could tell the difference and we're talking dogs that like to eat deer poop so that's pretty bad. I switched brands because I was not going to spend $45 on a 25lb bag of food that they didn't even like.
But anyway, changes for food are never the same and it's always for the worst. That's a shame about White Lilly. I used to use it in Florida, but I never realized how different it was. I use King Arthur now and I don't notice a difference, however, I'm not a professional baker and I bake cookies and cakes more than bisquits so that's probably why.

Shoehoard, do you have plans to stay here for good or do you have the option to move back to Florida in the future?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 AM

416 posts, read 1,085,643 times
Wow, 10 pages of comments ! !!
Just how many of you have moved from Florida to CT ?? (I know FL is losing pop.)
It seems that everyone in FL is from NY, NJ, and CT (and Cuba), especially in S. FL.
Are you CT natives who have moved back home?? I dont think a native Floridian would move to CT. They usually migrate to TN/NC mountains.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM

I think the only reason why I notice the difference is because I have been trying to perfect my scones so that I can possibly sell them. However, I'm not sure how to break into the pastry business. That's another topic.

We have actually talked about getting a condo in FL but still keeping the house here. We would lose a lot of money if we tried to sell our house right now. We love summers and fall up here - we really do. We love being close to NYC. I like being able to open up a cooking magazine and see an event in NYC and say, 'Hey, I think I'll go to that.' My boyfriend misses FL beaches, but we haven't really experienced any beaches up here. I hear RI has some lovely beaches. There's just a lot of stuff we still want to do up here so we're not ready to move. However, my company has an office in Naples - not sure if I'd be able to work from that office, but if it was a choice, we would move eventually.

The other thing that has hit me is that all my family lives in FL. It's hard to be in a new place where things are difference but to also be w/out family (even though they are a pain sometimes!). But you have to understand that I was born and raised in FL. It was all I knew. Even though I have traveled extensively throughout the US, it was never for more than 2 weeks at a time. So I wanted to experience something different. When I interviewed in CT, I thought what a lovely state this is. Just beautiful. And it is. We love the scenery up here. We love that this week the weather is going to be in the 80s while my family is still roasting for at least another 3 months back home. I just miss my creature comforts and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
that was a very interesting article on the flour. I wonder why it's now being made at a new factory in the midwest? IME, whenever anything is made by a new company or in a new plant, it is never the same. So I doubt the flour will ever be the same as pointed out by the bakers.
I know years ago, my dog's food looked different and they didn't seem to like it as much. I actually emailed the company about it and they said it was being manufactured in a new plant but assured me it was the same food. My dogs could tell the difference and we're talking dogs that like to eat deer poop so that's pretty bad. I switched brands because I was not going to spend $45 on a 25lb bag of food that they didn't even like.
But anyway, changes for food are never the same and it's always for the worst. That's a shame about White Lilly. I used to use it in Florida, but I never realized how different it was. I use King Arthur now and I don't notice a difference, however, I'm not a professional baker and I bake cookies and cakes more than bisquits so that's probably why.

Shoehoard, do you have plans to stay here for good or do you have the option to move back to Florida in the future?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 AM

LOL! You're right. Most Floridians I know that are natives usually retire in FL or in TN/NC. Mostly TN because of the cheap land. Not sure if that's the case anymore. And when I moved up here, one of my coworkers said, 'Are you crazy?' My sister said, 'You'll be back.' Although my sister loves to come visit and escape the heat. She also loves the scenery.

Our HR rep actually moved from CT to Naples. She loves it. Loves her pool and the heat and humidity. Comes up here once every couple months and can't stand the "nip" in the air when she comes up in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
Wow, 10 pages of comments ! !!
Just how many of you have moved from Florida to CT ?? (I know FL is losing pop.)
It seems that everyone in FL is from NY, NJ, and CT (and Cuba), especially in S. FL.
Are you CT natives who have moved back home?? I dont think a native Floridian would move to CT. They usually migrate to TN/NC mountains.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM

834 posts, read 2,269,943 times
Quote:
I just miss my creature comforts and I don't think that's a bad thing.
No not at all. But I know from my experiences, that there are some things you adjust to and others that you just don't. I never adjusted to the Florida heat because anything above 75 is too hot for me. The same way, someone who loves Florida weather will never adjust to CT and they shouldn't have to. Why live someplace and be miserable for the majority of the year?
I maybe misread your posts. At first I thought that you just needed time to adjust to how stores are laid out and the lack of chains. But then I read another post of yours talking about feeling trapped in the house all winter. That's what got me thinking that it seems like you are like many Florida people that I know (natives and northern transplants) who literally cannot live anywhere else. Take them out of Florida and they are miserable.
A friend of mine in Florida, moved there w/ her family from Michigan. Her mother loves Florida so much that she won't even go on vacation! My friend said they've tried to visit different places in the US and all she did was complain and compare it to Florida. So I know there are die hard Floridians who just will not be happy anywhere else.
But then there are people who can be happy if they venture out and take enjoyment in discovery.
I don't know you, so I don't know if you are just having a hard time adjusting or you are someone who will never adjust.
My husband is a Florida native and hates the state. He is not a beach person, golf person, hates the heat, etc. He loves it here. He would go further north if he could. So it's not a native thing. It's a person thing.

Quote:
Our HR rep actually moved from CT to Naples. She loves it. Loves her pool and the heat and humidity. Comes up here once every couple months and can't stand the "nip" in the air when she comes up in the fall.
I can believe it. In my experiences, the transplants who moved to Florida were the biggest whiners about the cold. It was the people from the northeast or Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan to freak out the few days the temps dipped into the 40's at night. Those are the people who belong in Florida and should stay there.

I hope you find happiness up here shoehoard. I really do. If not, then I hope you can move back to Florida.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,529,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
You'll rarely find someone from the south to admit it, or they say "well northerners are just as racist" but as racist as people can be up north, they are far worse in the south.
I was always amazed at how many times people would just start using the N word or talking about black people in front of me. I may be white, but how did they know that I wasn't married to a black man? The first time it happened it was my chiropractor, then my dentist, hairdressers, manicurists, check out person. I used to think, do I look like someone who is racist? Granted, I'm not much of a PC person. I prefer to see it and tell it like it is, but using the N word in everyday conversation was just over the top for me.
Honestly, the nice things I said about Publix is about the most postivie you'll get from me regarding Florida. I wish I never had to step foot in that state again but unfortunately my inlaws will never leave.
I hear ya. I think it comes from a basic lack of education, not that you look like a racist. Because I have had the same thing happen to me, they just don't think here.

People in the north who may be racist are at least smart enough not to assume you share their views or talk to strangers about personal views.

I have had people ask personal information like how much is your condo in CA worth, how much did we sell our house for in CA. None of your business.

If I want you to know personal information, I will tell you.

I would never ask the questions they ask here. I have been introduced to people here and right off the bat they're asking a million personal questions or assuming you share their beliefs.

And you're right they never admit the racism here. I had the keeper on the Tampa board say they have lived in Tampa 30 yrs and never heard the N word. Yeah right.

Yet they fly the biggest confederate flag I have ever seen where the I4 and the I 275 meet.

We have been here two years and have heard the N word, the F word for gays, and many inappropriate terms.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 AM

Yes, I'm reviving this post (no groans, please). Since we talked about local grocery stores and grocery stores in FL and PA, I thought I'd share this article with you on the best and worst grocery stores. And, no, I didn't contribute to the articles. :-)
Most and Least Favorite Grocery Stores - WalletPop

Since first posting this thread, I went to ShopRite and I have to say, I was able to find a lot of things that Publix carries that I haven't been able to find at Stop & Shop. I really like ShopRite. When you walk in the store, you can smell the fresh baked goods. And people actually work in the bakery and decorate cakes and are at the ovens. I've never seen that at Stop & Shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut