Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM

138 posts, read 420,686 times

Advertisements

I would like to delve a little deeper on the subject of quality ingredients and grocery stores. And I am not trying to offend anyone, I'm just trying to generate a healthy conversation on differences between food up north and food down south.

Kudos to the person that brought up the subject of just having chains and sprawl and that being all you know. I appreciate that comment. And I totally agree that it will be trial and error for me up here. However, there were non-chain places in the Tampa Bay area that I terribly miss. Mugs and Jugs in Clearwater, FL was the absolute bomb when it came to boness chicken wings. My sister sends me their sauce in tupperware containers - that's how amazing it is. And it's not a chain. Fresh baked scones from Victorian Grace tea room in Brandon, FL. The most amazing, fluffy cake-meets-biscuit scones I've ever had. Ploy Thai in Brandon had the most delicious curry puff appetizers that were part of your lunch entree. And a wonderful dessert donut drizzled in icing. None of these are chains but the quality is there.

Here's a good example of quality ingredients I came across today. I make scones from scratch. I've been using Stop & Shop's all purpose flour because I can't buy White Lily flour up here (I just ordered it off the web today). There's an interesting article in NY Times on this flour and how bakers swear by it over any other flour because of the type of wheat and the refining process to make it. You can taste the difference. And that's my point. I was used to buying ingredients that I just can't buy up here anymore, not even in speciality and gourmet stores. Those quality ingredients really make a difference and unless you've been exposed to it, you don't know the difference.

Again, I'm not trying to insult anyone so if I have offended, I sincerely apologize.

About Publix cakes - people bought them for all occasions because the icing was amazing. To my knowledge they had two types of frosting. One was a buttercream frosting that was way too sugary. And they they had a light whipped frosting that people go nuts over. I can't count how many Publix cakes I've had. And I've noticed that when I walk into Stop and Shop or Big Y, there is no bakery smell. Publix cooked cakes and breads all morning long and you can smell it as soon as you walk into the door. It pulls you to the bakery counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Shoehoard - Check out King Arthur flour. I know bakers that swear by it and it is available here.

I also have heard people from the south talk about how good Publix bakeries are. It is too bad that Stop & Shop's are not that good.

Also, I agree with JViello about Highland Park Market. It has great baked goods and offers the best sandwiches at a reasonable price in town. Also their pizza is pretty good.

Speaking of pizza, most of the people I know who have left the northeast do go through pizza withdrawl. They just can not easily find good pizza. One friend lamented that the best they could find where they live was Pizza Hut until Domino's came to their new town. I just can't imagine thinking of Domino's as the best pizza around. Jay

Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM

138 posts, read 420,686 times
Jay - thank you for your suggestions. I will try King Arthur flour and will look into Highland Park Market. Yes, unfortunately, Stop & Shop just can't compare with Publix. They treat their employees very well, have clean stores, are very accommodating, and have good products. But The Fresh Market is coming!!!

I do love the pizza up here. First time I had Pepe's I thought I had died and gone to heaven. See?! I like new places if the food is good. And there's a mobile fire truck outfitted as a pizza truck based out of Mystic that also produces great pizza. They were at the CT Wine Fest two weekends ago. Pizzetta Mystic Company 77 Mobile Pizza Unit Fire Truck

Yes, limited options in FL with the Pizza. However, we did discover a place (small chain, I believe ) about a year before moving - Mellow Mushroom. Very nice and chewy crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Shoehoard - Check out King Arthur flour. I know bakers that swear by it and it is available here.

I also have heard people from the south talk about how good Publix bakeries are. It is too bad that Stop & Shop's are not that good.

Also, I agree with JViello about Highland Park Market. It has great baked goods and offers the best sandwiches at a reasonable price in town. Also their pizza is pretty good.

Speaking of pizza, most of the people I know who have left the northeast do go through pizza withdrawl. They just can not easily find good pizza. One friend lamented that the best they could find where they live was Pizza Hut until Domino's came to their new town. I just can't imagine thinking of Domino's as the best pizza around. Jay

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It had been somewhat difficult too find, but i think within the last couple years all of the major grocery chains have started carrying it here. It's the only brand that i use now.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
And I've noticed that when I walk into Stop and Shop or Big Y, there is no bakery smell. Publix cooked cakes and breads all morning long and you can smell it as soon as you walk into the door. It pulls you to the bakery counter.
Stop and Shop employees told me they get their cakes in from a central location, and just decorate them at the store. This is true of breads too. Nothing is made at the stores.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Stop and Shop employees told me they get their cakes in from a central location, and just decorate them at the store. This is true of breads too. Nothing is made at the stores.
That is not entirely true. I believe the cakes are made elsewhere but I know the rolls and bagels are baked in the stores. Not sure about where the breads are baked. The dough though is premade elsewhere. Jay

Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
jay is correct. The dough is brought in, but the breads, bagels and rolls are baked in the stores.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 124,933 times
Default CT restaurants

Come to Poughkeepsie NY and you'll find a really nice Bone Fish on Rt. 9

Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
I would like to delve a little deeper on the subject of quality ingredients and grocery stores. And I am not trying to offend anyone, I'm just trying to generate a healthy conversation on differences between food up north and food down south.

Kudos to the person that brought up the subject of just having chains and sprawl and that being all you know. I appreciate that comment. And I totally agree that it will be trial and error for me up here. However, there were non-chain places in the Tampa Bay area that I terribly miss. Mugs and Jugs in Clearwater, FL was the absolute bomb when it came to boness chicken wings. My sister sends me their sauce in tupperware containers - that's how amazing it is. And it's not a chain. Fresh baked scones from Victorian Grace tea room in Brandon, FL. The most amazing, fluffy cake-meets-biscuit scones I've ever had. Ploy Thai in Brandon had the most delicious curry puff appetizers that were part of your lunch entree. And a wonderful dessert donut drizzled in icing. None of these are chains but the quality is there.

Here's a good example of quality ingredients I came across today. I make scones from scratch. I've been using Stop & Shop's all purpose flour because I can't buy White Lily flour up here (I just ordered it off the web today). There's an interesting article in NY Times on this flour and how bakers swear by it over any other flour because of the type of wheat and the refining process to make it. You can taste the difference. And that's my point. I was used to buying ingredients that I just can't buy up here anymore, not even in speciality and gourmet stores. Those quality ingredients really make a difference and unless you've been exposed to it, you don't know the difference.

Again, I'm not trying to insult anyone so if I have offended, I sincerely apologize.

About Publix cakes - people bought them for all occasions because the icing was amazing. To my knowledge they had two types of frosting. One was a buttercream frosting that was way too sugary. And they they had a light whipped frosting that people go nuts over. I can't count how many Publix cakes I've had. And I've noticed that when I walk into Stop and Shop or Big Y, there is no bakery smell. Publix cooked cakes and breads all morning long and you can smell it as soon as you walk into the door. It pulls you to the bakery counter.

Well we have lived all over the country and are now in Florida, prior to that CA. There are way too many chain restaruants here.

Another thing I have noticed is the number of obese people here compared to others states. Good God I don't just mean a few pounds, I mean morbidly obese.

How they handle the heat down here is beyond me.

I have never seen so many tubbies as there are in Florida. And I' m not all that impressed with Publix. For one thing they don't even a discount card like most chains. Several times I have gone in looking for a certain item only to find they don't have it.

Sorry I think you're embellishing your love of Publix. JMO, I find Sweetbay are just as good for the fish, deli, and bakery counter.

They also do specials like for example Cheezits, two boxes for $6, Publix has one box for $4.99. I find Publix overpriced.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
Quote:
have never seen so many tubbies as there are in Florida
This made me chuckle but it is true. I didn't realize how obese the south was overall until I moved up here. People just don't put much emphasis on health or exercising. You would the think the lack of snow gets people out more. It doesn't. They spend more time inside because of the heat.

As far as Publix....here's my opinion. In order for something to be the "best" there has to be some comparison which means there needs to be competition. There are so very few bakeries in the Tampa area, that everyone just goes to Publix. So then they talk about how yummy publix baked good are, but really, what else is there to compare it to? Publix is like Walmart. They have stamped out any other competition so when it comes to getting a birthday cake, wedding cake, or any baked goods, it's all "oooooh Publix is the best." It reminds me of someone who says their hometown is the "best" meanwhile they've never lived anyplace else.
Shoehoard, please don't think I'm picking on you. It's just the Florida mentality that I'm so glad to get away from. Florida has the same mentality that a lot of Texans have. "We are the best." It's very short-sighted and narrow minded and it's something I was glad to get away from. It wasn't just Publix, it's was everything.
But like I said, you'll find your new places to shop and you'll grow to love it. There is nothing like finding a little gem of a store that is truly original and not just a huge chain that dominates a region.

Seain Dublin, you have my condolences for living in Florida. I hope you like it more than I did. From your post, it doesn't sound that way. Hopefully you are renting so you can get out soon. The upside is, I hear homes are buy one get one free down there, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut