Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM

269 posts, read 607,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
The achievement gap is a national phenomena in our country. There are many reasons debated about the causes. One of the main factors associated with low student achievement is poverty. Students living in persistent poverty are more likely to suffer from many conditions that impede their learning; inadequate prenatal care, poor health care, unstable family life, lack of resources and books to aid education, and parents with lower levels of education.

CT's gap is wide because we have some top performing schools in the country.
Yes I know it is a national phenomena, it is also quite prevalent in our state. Thank you for expanding on my point which is that affluence generally affords factors which make a student better prepared for school. The exact reasons are to me of less importance because it is the sum of the factors that create the issue. If we tackle one particular issue say "inadequate prenatal care" we will still see the same result because it was not just that one factor causing the gap. I'm not quite sure if you want to talk about it at a national or regional level as your post starts with a national focus and ends with a regional.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appias View Post
Yes I know it is a national phenomena, it is also quite prevalent in our state. Thank you for expanding on my point which is that affluence generally affords factors which make a student better prepared for school. The exact reasons are to me of less importance because it is the sum of the factors that create the issue. If we tackle one particular issue say "inadequate prenatal care" we will still see the same result because it was not just that one factor causing the gap. I'm not quite sure if you want to talk about it at a national or regional level as your post starts with a national focus and ends with a regional.
In your previous post you mentioned the achievement gap. The achievement gap refers to the gap between poverty and middle class children. You then make the above bolded statement regarding affluence.

I added the CT comment because the thread was so off topic...wanted to add some relevance.

Sorry, I feel like this subject has been beaten to death on here and usually the posts become ugly so this discussion will have to carry on without moi. It's past my bedtime.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
CT's gap is wide because we have some top performing schools in the country.
...and some of the worst performing schools in the country.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
To dump a little fuel on the fire regarding "attitude" in Madison - I think it relevant to point out that there has been a very large influx of people from NY and Long Island.

Quote:
Well, I certainly wouldn't expect anymore invitations with these attitudes.

I am a super busy parent that loves to meet and socialize with other parents at parties but there are certain types of people I avoid like the plague...ones that are miserable, complainers and name callers. If I am introduced to someone who is "offensive" to me, I move along because life is busy and time is short, therefore I will spend time with the parents that I enjoy their company.

If your children aren't getting many playdates, it's not the others that are the problem, it's most likely your child.

Most parents certainly do bother.
You wouldn't happen to be one of them would you?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Really?? Which ones?

Roughly five years ago I knew of only one...

I thought our cities are very poor performing for our state, but are far from worst performing in the country.

Please share the names of these schools that are the worst performing in the country.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
To dump a little fuel on the fire regarding "attitude" in Madison - I think it relevant to point out that there has been a very large influx of people from NY and Long Island.

You wouldn't happen to be one of them would you?
No, I don't live in Madison and I am not a former NYer...just a mom of many that is very active with them.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM

269 posts, read 607,647 times
Quote:
In your previous post you mentioned the achievement gap. The achievement gap refers to the gap between poverty and middle class children. You then make the above bolded statement regarding affluence.

I added the CT comment because the thread was so off topic...wanted to add some relevance.

Sorry, I feel like this subject has been beaten to death on here and usually the posts become ugly so this discussion will have to carry on without moi. It's past my bedtime.
You are certainly welcome to bow out of the discussion whenever you like. Yes, my previous post mentioned the achievement gap. One of the differences between poverty and middle class is a matter of money aka "affluence". I'm not sure what your point in the first part of this post was. It's one in the same whether we look at it at the macro level (CT versus other states) or if we look at it at a micro level (town versus town in CT). You may find this topic to be beaten to death, but by the same token I find the topic of "people in CT are mean/snobby/provincial" to be tiresome.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I feel like this subject has been beaten to death on here and usually the posts become ugly so this discussion will have to carry on without moi.
Good idea.

Quote:
Really?? Which ones?

Roughly five years ago I knew of only one...

I thought our cities are very poor performing for our state, but are far from worst performing in the country.

Please share the names of these schools that are the worst performing in the country.
Oh look, you're back!

Here is a list of the following schools that were on probation as of 2002:

Hartford Public
Plainfield High
Harding High
Crosby High
Wilby High

This means that they were not meeting NEASC standards - not just "Connecticut standards".

I don't know about you, but I don't consider any school that risks losing it's accreditation only bad "for Connecticut", but it's bad for the nation. It's especially bad when you see that only two schools in the NEASC have ever lost accreditation.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-07-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Good idea.

Oh look, you're back!

Here is a list of the following schools that were on probation as of 2002:

Hartford Public
Plainfield High
Harding High
Crosby High
Wilby High

This means that they were not meeting NEASC standards - not just "Connecticut standards".

I don't know about you, but I don't consider any school that risks losing it's accreditation only bad "for Connecticut", but it's bad for the nation. It's especially bad when you see that only two schools in the NEASC have ever lost accreditation.
The NEASC is a regional accreditation agency, not a national agency. You stated that CT has some of the worst performing schools in the country. As bad as you may feel some of our schools are, they are not the worst performing schools in the country.

As for your above outdated list; Plainfield, Crosby, Wilby are off probation. Harding has dropped out, not sure whether at their request or they have lost accreditation and I don't know about Hartford Public.

Schools on probation currently are Central, Killingly and New Britain. And losing accreditation is not as hard as you think...it could be for not having adequate books or computers available in the library.

But back to the "worst performing schools in the country"...only 1 CT school has ever made that list..a Stamford charter school...Stamford Academy.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
The NEASC is a regional accreditation agency, not a national agency. You stated that CT has some of the worst performing schools in the country. As bad as you may feel some of our schools are, they are not the worst performing schools in the country.

As for your above outdated list; Plainfield, Crosby, Wilby are off probation. Harding has dropped out, not sure whether at their request or they have lost accreditation and I don't know about Hartford Public.
I would think that having five CT schools on probation as of 2003 (regional or national) would make them among the worst schools in the nation. I assume you don't?

I suppose we have different standards when it comes to 'quality education' then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut