Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 PM

420 posts, read 1,168,796 times

Advertisements

Colchester!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:16 PM

25 posts, read 85,644 times
I didn't know that UConn Law was right near Elizabeth Park. That is a breath taking park. I used to go there all the time when I was a teenager.

Well, it is going to be LOTS more expensive for housing WEST of the river than East, trust me. If you really like rural and got some bucks to spend Glastonbury is a nice town... East hartford, closer to the Manchester area is also nice, and not too far from country areas. Manchester, another town near Hartford that is close to I-84 that could get you to Hartford without driving many miles.

West Hartford, though, pretty affluent, I'm sorry to say, is also rather snooty. I know cuz I went to Sunday School there. Hated it! You may like it, but I prefer friendlier people myself... and West Hartford is going to be probably more expensive than East of the River.

Canton, not sure where that is.. Granby IS a nice town.. that is west of the river.. lots of country side out there.
Gosh, I FORGOT how pretty NE is in the fall. Please STOP posting these photos! You are making me homesick...

Man.. wish there was a train I could hop on easily to get to CT in the fall nearby.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM

25 posts, read 85,644 times
I agree.. Colchester is GORGEOUS. If you or your wife are antique hounds, you'll go MAD for this town too. They had a few neat shops.. at least when I was a teen, that were fun to go to too.. crafts, fabrics, gift shops...

Isn't there some Colchester Farm... I thought the lady was into witchcraft.. It was interesting.. Yes, you'd probably LOVE Colchester.. but a bit of a drive imho to get to hartford.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,367,576 times
I'm OK with driving. I live 11 miles from work and it takes me almost 30-35 minutes to get there each day.

I think I mentioned, but our budget is around $1500, preferably less, and we need to rent a house, not an apartment. We have 2 big dogs, and are just used to having our own space.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. It's kept me running back to Realtor.com.

I think anything will be a switch for us, but I'm OK with a drive if it means a small, quiet place. I really don't want to move once I get there after moving halfway across the country.

I take the LSAT this Saturday, so by mid-October I will find out if it's even worth it to submit a UConn app.

Last edited by getmeoutofhere; 09-23-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Well, I got my acceptance letter from UConn today!

I'll be coming up around the first week of March for a night to see the school and do some scouting for places to live.

Any more current suggestions, or still the Bolton / Colchester area?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,742,509 times
Bolton would be a much quicker commute to Hartford. It is also close to the mega shopping center of Manchester.

As mentioned previously Bolton is a small town with good schools and easy access to the highway. You'd probably be able to find some more affordable homes for rent as oppossed to the West Hartford area.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Just wanted to thank all of you for your help.

Famington was beautiful, and I really enjoyed the Bolton / Colchester area as well.

It seems the only problem is availability of rental houses in those areas.

Oh well, such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut