Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:36 AM

259 posts, read 732,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've noticed from reading your previous posts both on and off the Ct. forum that you are very critical of the places you have lived and worked. Your standards might be a little higher than most.
I moved to CT with no expectations whatsoever. It's because of what I learned while I was there that caused me to have the opinions I have. And I want to clarify that my opinions are only about those places where I've lived and worked. No where else (only Fairfield County).

I think that Fairfield County is like no other place I've ever lived. Most people I know who have never lived anywhere else think that's a ridiculous statement, but a few have moved away and they realize it's totally different.

Ridgefield is not near the ocean nor is it a place where I can envision someone having a chicken coop (does the zoning even allow that there?).

Either way, no disrespect to anyone. I'm not a SW CT native but I lived there long enough to know the area. I thought my opinion might be welcome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
And I want to clarify that my opinions are only about those places where I've lived and worked. No where else (only Fairfield County).
Just for the record, I was referring to your critical posts on the Pennsylvania forum.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM

269 posts, read 607,535 times
Iriekate,
Regarding zoning, I am not sure what the specific zoning is for chicken coops though if one has over an acre and has a couple of chickens who is going to even know to complain? People in CT (you may have noticed) like to mind their own business. This is considered by some outsiders as "cold" but is really just a mentality of "live and let live". I think you will find that anyplace you live will be unlike any other place you have lived. Vancouver is Vancouver. As close as the OP may want to get to that place, there is only one Vancouver. It's sad to leave a city you love, but if you are priced out (as the OP seems to be) and you have the flexibility to move, sometimes you have to make that sacrifice.

Regarding the ocean. The OP said "House, hopefully with water (pond or river ok!) view (or walking distance)". Ridgefield has a number of lovely lakes and it would be possible for the OP to buy a house near/on them and stay within their budget.

Your opinion is welcome, but recommendations to people you don't know personally are best made using fact based tools rather than emotional ones.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 AM

259 posts, read 732,099 times
I don't think anything I've posted here is based on emotion. It's based on facts that pertain to my life.

And with that...I'll take that as a cue to leave this thread.

lasttimewemove, I wish you the best wherever you decide to make home

Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttimewemove View Post
Wavehunter: wow, thanks for the great maps. Yes, looks like a lot more sun than previous places, especially Portland! In the dunes, and Vancouver we live in tiny microclimates that get more sun thankfully. Zone 7 is great for gardening...i hear i will have to amend the soil till no end however to get a good start there. My husband will be very interested in the water temps, as he surfs. I don't think he has researched breaks yet. I am guessing by your name you might be in the know? would love some info for him how far a drive to the best break from Branford, say. So Branford? ok i will look into it. Any of these areas mentioned have newer community centers for kids activities? Thanks for all the wonderful info...really appreciate it!

Glad the info helped. So seem to have many of the same interests that we do. As far as surfing and water temps…just a few things to keep in mind about East Coast surfing, (as I used to be into it until a moderate severe knee injury):

About 70% of the year locally (Rhode Island/Long Island/NJ) the waves are relatively small compared to the West Coast: From April – November…unless there is a hurricane in summer/fall…the waves will be in the 2-3 foot range. In winter (December through March), although the waves can be bigger because of more frequent storms, the water is cold, and the winds chilly (however with new wet suit technology more are surfing throughout the year). IMO the best time is July through early November (when the Bermuda High is the strongest). That’s the bad news, I guess. The good news…unlike the Pacific West Coast, where the ocean is cold, dark, the current is from the Arctic, and near places like LA there is often high bacteria counts…the Atlantic south of New England (Boston) is warm, lighter, the currents come from the tropics, and the ocean is much less polluted (except right around NYC/NY Harbor or course). The two best places closest southern Connecticut (Branford/Guilford) is Ruggles in Newport and Narrgansste, RI.

Here is a map of Ocean temps in summer for the USA. Most people on the East Coast normaly don't surf/swim in sub 70 F temps. Mostly swimming/surfing is a thing done from the Tri-State area (and Rhode Island) south to Florida. New England waters are cold even in summer...and as you can see, the waters of the West Coast much above Los Angeles is freezing even in summer (59 F or under). Although folks on the West Coast seem to have a better tolerance for cold ocean waters.

My only other caution about the weather would be you are coming from Portland, OR and used to the cold…but generally little snow in winter. Keep in find the further north and west you go in Connecticut the more snow you get. Parts of NW Connecticut get 60-inches of snow a winter, Hartford gets 45-inches of snow a winter…while the coast of Connecticut gets 25-inches. In fact, coastal southeast Connecticut from the Lymes to the beaches of southern Rhode Island gets less than 20-inches a year (about the same as places like Wilmington, Delaware or Baltimore, MD). Also, remember northern Connecticut is hilly– not the best when driving in snow, while southern/coastal Connecticut is generally less hilly.

One final thing comes to mind considering the price range you are in. Many of the homes along the Connecticut coast seem to have a more contemporary flair and are of various styles…while in my few travels up to northern Connecticut home styles seem to be more New Englandy (farmhouse, Cape Cod…etc). Now I don’t know what your looking for but for $600,000 + you will likely have more contemporary home styles to choose from in coastal Connecticut compared to northern Connecticut. You might even want to check out Madison or Clinton, although they are more distant to New Haven, they are still on the NYC commuter rail line. Remember, the closer you get to NYC in southwestern CT the price jumps to double or even triple per sq foot. If you want to live the laid back coastal life, I think you are much better off in southeastern Connecticut than in southwestern Connecticut…

Here are a few house shots around the southeast Connecticut coast...

Good Luck

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
i just lived Fairfield/Bridgeport for the past 4 years (and worked in SoNo & Ridgefield) and as someone not originally from this area, i have to say that it's the most self-centered area i've ever lived in. i moved there with a 2 year old and i had to work extra hard to not allow him to pick up the selfish/self-focused behavior. It's probably just Fairfield County that is this way, but since you said you have kids, I had to mention it.
I know many families in Fairfield and really do not agree with this. Most are hard working down to earth people with typical modern American children. I will say that like any communities, there are those who are self centered and it is hard to generalize but overall I do not see this. Jay

Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttimewemove View Post
Thanks Jay, I read another thread you responded to with a family looking for a community within reasonable commute to NYC and the towns of Weston, Ridgefield, Westport popped up. Do you think these towns might fit my criteria? One area a better fit than the other for us? I think the other poster is in a similar situation to us, with kids, and budget. But he needs to be within drive to NYC and we really don't (although it wouldn't be a bad thing!) So it piqued my interest for our needs. thanks.
These towns are very nice but they are very pricey and $650k will not buy you much of a house. ONce you get further from New York, prices drop significantly and you could get a very nice home for that price. Jay

Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Either way, no disrespect to anyone. I'm not a SW CT native but I lived there long enough to know the area. I thought my opinion might be welcome here.
You think your opinion will be welcomed when you call the way of life in FFC self-centered? People amaze me.

Try living where I do - your thoughts will change drastically. Personally, I think FFC is some of the most well-rounded group of communities in the country.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
I would suggest that you not spend any time researching Fairfield County, unless there is a need to commute daily to Stamford or NYC. There are essentially just 2 towns in the county that could be considered affordable and while your budget would put you in the top rung for these towns, your money will go further in towns outside of the county. Avon, Madison, and Glastonbury are a few towns that i'd suggest looking at. Avon though, may seem to have a bit of a "pressure-cooker" educational environment. Good luck with your search.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM

17 posts, read 29,737 times
Please consider Litchfield CT. I just checked properties for sale and there are more than one that would be under your budget with more land, a pond or river view. The only compromise is a longer drive to the ocean. Airports within 2hrs are BDL and Newburgh. Within 15 minutes are cross country skiing at White Memorial Woods, sailing at Bantam Lake, the largest natural lake in CT and for gardening ideas, the White Flower Farm. Ski Sundown in New Hartford is half an hour away, and arts and culture abound within an hour's drive. Aside from Litchfield's Historical Society, art galleries etc, you can visit my city of Torrington's (20 min. away) Warner Theatre, Nutmeg Ballet and Artwell Gallery to Norfolk's Infinity Hall and Yale Summer School of Music - just to name a few. The beauty of it all you can reach these destinations, without driving on any major highway - just scenic country roads with light to moderate traffic.

Last edited by torringtonCTbychoice; 09-27-2009 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut