Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times

Advertisements

If you havent heard by now they are around 8 bucks a pack. I have smoked for 15 years or so. I will be giving another try to quitting starting monday. I have tried int he past and been unsuccessful. However this time I will be quitting with the help of chanitx. I invite all you smokers to join me. Not only will it save you thousands of dollars a year but you will live longer.

I suppose I should thank Jodi Rell for giving me the initative once more to try and quit this habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
If you havent heard by now they are around 8 bucks a pack. I have smoked for 15 years or so. I will be giving another try to quitting starting monday. I have tried int he past and been unsuccessful. However this time I will be quitting with the help of chanitx. I invite all you smokers to join me. Not only will it save you thousands of dollars a year but you will live longer.

I suppose I should thank Jodi Rell for giving me the initative once more to try and quit this habit.
Good luck...you can do it!

$3.00 tax per pack now.....who on earth can afford to smoke? It is a good enough reason for all to quit! It's a great incentive!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I think it's a great idea! My Father in law smokes and i'd LOVE to see the habit go...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
If you havent heard by now they are around 8 bucks a pack. I have smoked for 15 years or so. I will be giving another try to quitting starting monday. I have tried int he past and been unsuccessful. However this time I will be quitting with the help of chanitx. I invite all you smokers to join me. Not only will it save you thousands of dollars a year but you will live longer. I suppose I should thank Jodi Rell for giving me the initative once more to try and quit this habit.
Good luck with your efforts to quit! If you should fail in your effort, send me a DM and i'll let you in on a little secret(that is 100% legal, and not evasive) on how to not pay $4.01($3.00-CT tax+$1.01-Fed tax)
in taxes on a pack of cigarettes.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Good luck with your efforts to quit! If you should fail in your effort, send me a DM and i'll let you in on a little secret(that is 100% legal, and not evasive) on how to not pay $4.01($3.00-CT tax+$1.01-Fed tax)
in taxes on a pack of cigarettes.
I have a feeling you'll be getting a bunch of DM's in the next few days!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I have a feeling you'll be getting a bunch of DM's in the next few days!
LOL, I was thinking the same thing!! I'm tempted to DM him myself, I just cannot get my dh to quit.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Sorry smokers - I hate cigarettes. I say, raise it higher!

I read a stat somewhere that says each time the tax has risen, consumption has gone down by 5%. I'm not sure how accurate this could be though, because that just pushes people to buy out of state.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry smokers - I hate cigarettes. I say, raise it higher!
.....or just ban it entirely, right? Be very careful what you wish for when it comes to this. This tax money that they derive is used for the day to day expenses of the government. I know people will offer the argument that gov pays out for treatment of smokers who become afflicted with diseases related to smoking, and there may be some merit to that argument, but in the here and now, gov relies pretty heavily on this tax money. They're trying to walk the fine line on how much they can extort in taxes without killing the golden goose, and they're perilously close to hitting the wall on this.

About 2 years ago, i found an alternative way to continue smoking cigarettes without paying these onerous taxes that are being assessed on pre-packaged cigarettes. With every tax increase, i'm seeing more people opt to go the same route that i chose. And for every smoker that makes that choice, you'll see a reduction in tax revenues.
Who will cover the shortfall when that happens?
http://www.rubysunshine.com/images/thumbs/finger-pointing.jpg.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 10-01-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
.....or just ban it entirely, right? Be very careful what you wish for when it comes to this. This tax money that they derive is used for the day to day expenses of the government. I know people will offer the argument that gov pays out for treatment of smokers who become afflicted with diseases related to smoking, and there may be some merit to that argument, but in the here and now, gov relies pretty heavily on this tax money. They're trying to walk the fine line on how much they can extort in taxes without killing the golden goose, and they're perilously close to hitting the wall on this.

About 2 years ago, i found an alternative way to continue smoking cigarettes without paying these onerous taxes that are being assessed on pre-packaged cigarettes. With every tax increase, i'm seeing more people opt to go the same route that i chose. And for every smoker that makes that choice, you'll see a reduction in tax revenues.
Who will cover the shortfall when that happens?
Do you roll your own? That's the only way I can think of to avoid the taxes. But soon, your tobacco/papers will be taxed heavier as sales increase. So shhh, don't tell too many people.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
They are about $4.50 to $5.00 in the northwest. I don't smoke but I just noticed the price of a pack in the store yesterday. I remember in the 70's when my parents sent me to the ciageratte machine in a restaurant we were eating in to but a pack. It was 50 cents. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut