Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 44,888 times

Advertisements

Moving to Fairfield County with child who will be entering 9th grade next year. Several public high schools have been recommended (thank you CT forum users) and based on all this information I've gathered, have narrowed down to Staples, NCHS and Darien. I will be comparing these to GFS and King privates as well.
Any opinions on the intangibles of these schools, i.e., school culture, safety on campus, drug/alcohol abuse, quality of teaching and college counseling staff, the social scene, bullying, setc?

We are progressive politically and my child is a motivated student who enjoys tennis and choir.

Thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
So have you narrowed down moving to Westport, Darien, or New Canaan? Because if you choose a public high school, you will have to live in the town that the school is in.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Yes,will zero in on school first, then house..

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
In general, New Canaan has a reputation for being new money and WASPy; Darien has a reputation of being old money and more Catholic; Westport has a large Jewish presence and has the most progressive politics, while Greenwich is larger and is more diverse in its politics and social heritage. Of course, there is a lot of overlap. Make of that what you will. Schools are always the products of the towns they are in.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
All of the schools mentioned are excellent and I would not hesitate to send my child to any of them. Their differences academicially are minimal when it comes to quality education. I would be less interested in the schools of these three towns than other things like proximity to my job or a particular house I liked.

That said, Staples is consistantly considered to be one of the top high schools in the state. Westport tends to be a bit more progressive. It could have to due with its long ties to the arts and entertainment industry. I would consider it first. Below are links to more information on schools in Connecticut. I hope this helps. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
As a Staples Graduate, I can tell you that while all of those schools are excellent, the network that I built at Staples is still existing, tangible and helpful to be as a professional. The media facilities (full TV studio and FM radio station) helped point me towards a career.

The academically challenging curriculum prepared me well for a challenging college curriculum.

I'm sure this can be said of any of the schools listed, but, I still consider attending Staples as the most formative experience in my life and even after many years away, (I graduated in 1992) I still fill an affiliation with the school and the town of Westport.

I've finally had the opportunity to return to the area and just did so. I am very impressed with the students I see in Westport today. I know your kid would have a great experience at Staples.

Please say hi when you see me at Fortuna's on the Post Road having my Egg sandwich in the morning!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Mental note... egg sandwich!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6r View Post
Mental note... egg sandwich!
Lol... If you like Egg Sandwiches, and end up in Westport, Fortuna's Deli on the post road has been making my Bacon, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll since about 1989. For about $2.50, its a great breakfast sandwich. Even for the 17 years I was in Austin, Fortuna's was a necessary stop on every visit back to Westport! Good luck with your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut