Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,260 times

Advertisements

I live in CT, one mile from the MA line. Is it possible to get the MA rate for a Massachusetts college instead of having to pay the out of state rate. I'm so darn close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:20 AM

181 posts, read 557,474 times
You could get in state tuition at any public university in New England as long as the major you are going for is not provided at any public university in Connecticut. If you are going for something that is provided here, then there is a pretty slim chance that you would be able to get that. I would talk to the registration office at whatever school you would like to go to and let them know of your situation. I don't know why you would want to leave CT for a major that is povided here anyways!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmiller59 View Post
I live in CT, one mile from the MA line. Is it possible to get the MA rate for a Massachusetts college instead of having to pay the out of state rate. I'm so darn close.
Doesn't matter how close you live to the border...your residency is what determines in/out of state tuition. If you are a resident of CT or your parents claim you as a dependent are, then you are a CT resident and not entitled to MA in state tuition.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
not entitled to Ma in state tuition since you DONT live in MA. If you did, then you or your parents would have been paying taxes there..

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 AM

181 posts, read 905,897 times
Grotonman has it correct. There is a consortium of New England public colleges/universities that provide in state tuition provided the major is not offered in the home state. The organization is the New England Board of Higher Education. From my reading, each state decides which majors to include on their list. Visit the website at New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) - Home.
There is link for each state from the main page.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Actually, I was just reading the above link, and there is something called a "proximity" discount to out-of-state residents if an out-of-state college is closer than their in-state-college offering their chosen degree. The OP should look into it.

Unfortunately, not ALL majors are eligible for in-state-tuition at out-of-state colleges, if no in-state colleges offer your major. I learned that the hard way. Notice the fine print, it says "approved" majors.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Doesn't matter how close you live to the border...your residency is what determines in/out of state tuition. If you are a resident of CT or your parents claim you as a dependent are, then you are a CT resident and not entitled to MA in state tuition.
New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) - Eligibility
"For enrollment at an out-of-state college that is closer to home
When your home is closer to an out-of-state college than an in-state college offering the same program, you may be eligible in certain cases. Many community colleges and a few four-year campuses allow this eligibility. Refer to RSP Tuition Break Policies: Proximity-Based Programs of Study (3B3). Approval is made at the discretion of the institution. Click here to download the list of Institutions Participating in the Proximity Policy (http://www.nebhe.org/info/pdf/programs/TuitionBreak/Proximity_Institutions_2008-09.pdf - broken link) in PDF format. (To view PDF files, you may require Adobe Reader.)"

Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
[quote=Stratford, Ct. Resident;11075524]New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) - Eligibility
"For enrollment at an out-of-state college that is closer to home
When your home is closer to an out-of-state college than an in-state college offering the same program, you may be eligible in certain cases. Many community colleges and a few four-year campuses allow this eligibility. Refer to RSP Tuition Break Policies: Proximity-Based Programs of Study (3B3). Approval is made at the discretion of the institution. Click here to download the list of Institutions Participating in the Proximity Policy (http://www.nebhe.org/info/pdf/programs/TuitionBreak/Proximity_Institutions_2008-09.pdf - broken link) in PDF

I had no idea about this program...it's pretty cool...

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM

62 posts, read 102,168 times
Default Proximity to college

Several years ago I knew of a young lady in Simsbury who commuted to Westfield State College and got a break on tuition. check it out. Maybe this is still policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut