Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,047 times

Advertisements

This forum seems to be really helpful. So, I am wondering if you guys can help me pick a new neighborhood/suburb of hartford.

I am a young guy recently moved here from nyc, I work in downtown hartford and do not have a car.

I am looking for a neighborhood/suburb which has a large young population, served by Cttransit, has good grocery stores, retail, gyms etc. Low crime, preferably an apt rather than a house. I am looking to avoid spending more than $600 a month for rent.

Ofcourse, no one area might have everything, so which areas would best fit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
I don't know of anything in the Hartford area for less than $600/month that's in a safe area, unless you share a 2-bedroom with a roommate. I have some friends who were sharing an apartment in the West End of Hartford for some ridiculously low amount, but they were also living in one of the sketchier parts of the West End. There are parts of Hartford where you can find decent studio apartments for about $650-700, but they're in somewhat dodgy areas like Asylum Hill. Super-cheap rents also tend to attract undesirables, as I discovered in my el cheapo studio apartment in West Hartford's Elmwood section ca. 2004.

If you can find a roommate, I'd look in either the West End, or in West Hartford along Farmington Ave. Otherwise, if you're set on living alone, I was able (in a quick search) to find one company that offers studios for under $600 in a good location (115 Oxford Street), but I am wholly unfamiliar with their apartments. Without a car, I wouldn't look any further away than that, and as you move outward from Hartford it generally gets more expensive anyway.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I agree with PP. It's difficult to not have a car in Central CT. I wouldn't go farther then Hartford or West Hartford. But $600 will be a VERY tough find in a safe area...

Old 10-06-2009, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,047 times
Thanks for the advice. I do not mind sharing a place. And I do agree not having a car is hard around here, but its a temporary situation. For now, all i care is that theres bus service from I live to dowtown hartford (where i work).

Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
If you live along the Farmington Ave. corridor in West Hartford or in the West End, you'll have what I'm told is an easy bus ride downtown, and if you take it the other way you can get to various shopping locations. Also, forgive me if this is presumptuous, but your username suggests you might be of Indian heritage -- if you're interested in an Indian grocery, there's a very good place called Cosmos, on Farmington near Quaker, where I used to go all the time.

Another good option might be to live in the Elmwood section of West Hartford. Despite my sketchy neighbor back in 2004, Elmwood is actually a good place to live -- affordable and generally quiet -- just don't rent a basement studio apartment next to a mother who abuses her kids! That wasn't fun, to say the least.

I believe you can take the bus from Elmwood right downtown, and if you go in the other direction, you've got the shopping at Corbins Corner, including Trader Joe's and so forth. I haven't ridden that route myself, but it looks viable on paper, and I used to see buses in Elmwood all the time. There's also a gym in the southeastern section of Elmwood, near the post office.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
I think West Hartford is your best bet, but the $600 will be tough. The west end of Hartford would also work for you.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
There are several high-rise buildings on Woodland Street, between Farmington and Asylum Avenues. Woodland is at the western edge of the Asylum Hill neighborhood. Asylum Hill is sketchy -- possibly improving, but not 'gentrified' -- and Woodland is the best part of it. Farmington Avenue has a constant stream of busses going both downtown and (in the other direction) to West Hartford Center, with shopping, restaurants, groceries, etc. There is a fancy gym with indoor pool in Blue Black Square (part of West Hartford Center).

There is also (downscale) shopping along Farmington Avenue in Asylum Hill, and, especially in the next neighborhood to the west, the West End.

$600/ month is going to be a stretch for a 1BR apartment, but I think you would be able to find something at that price.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,590 times
Agree with all - $600 is tough. Maybe try to find some places that are on the route of the express buses. They pick up at park and rides and go direct to several stops in downtown. There might be some apartments within walking distance of some of those maybe?

CTTransit - Connecting the Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut