Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I really don't think there are any particular areas to avoid.

I have to disagree with this. There are many inexpensive neighborhoods throughout CT that I wouldn't recommend someone live in, due to criminal activity, proximity to railroad or highways, or lack of proximity to anything. I can name a few sections of towns, but that would inevitably start a board war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,762,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I have to disagree with this. I can name a few sections of towns, but that would inevitably start a board war.
If someone were to give specific sections, it shouldn't cause a "war". The warring typically occurs when someone throws out generalizations like, "Half of the town is a dump". I'll take someone to task for generalizations like that, especially if the person doesn't(and never has) live(d) anywhere near the areas that they're referencing.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM

90 posts, read 208,607 times
CT is a small state. How close to the beach do you want to be? I'd say it's more a matter of where your job is. Living in Central CT, the beaches are only 45mins away. You can pretty much be anywhere in the state and be "close" to the beach. But then, close to one person may not be close to another!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 AM

3,970 posts, read 6,530,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If someone were to give specific sections, it shouldn't cause a "war". The warring typically occurs when someone throws out generalizations like, "Half of the town is a dump". I'll take someone to task for generalizations like that, especially if the person doesn't(and never has) live(d) anywhere near the areas that they're referencing.
Agree 100%.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:

I have to disagree with this. There are many inexpensive neighborhoods throughout CT that I wouldn't recommend someone live in, due to criminal activity, proximity to railroad or highways, or lack of proximity to anything. I can name a few sections of towns, but that would inevitably start a board war.
The OP's question was kind of broad. It did not ask for specifics, just any parts of the state to avoid. To me this did not mean parts of a particular town, rather that sould they avoid living in say northeastern or southwestern parts of the state.

After reading the OP's response, it is clear that they want to be near the coast and have a limited budget to spend. The New London area is the most affordable part of the coast. I would consider Old Lyme, East Lyme, Waterford or even Groton. Jay

Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,628,193 times
There are plenty of places to avoid in CT. Most not being towns but being areas inside the towns. Its not really any different in any other state though.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM

691 posts, read 1,143,619 times
THE place to be avoided: Fairfield County.

It's one of the snootiest areas in the country. People generally have a sense of entitlement that is about as obnoxious as it gets. Don't drive a BMW or make a 6-figure income? Only drive an Accord and make 50K? You simply wont fit in with most towns.

Forget about owning a home for <$800k unless you're okay with living in areas with subpar school systems (namely Stamford/Norwalk), or a complete ghetto (Bridgeport....and, no, "Black Rock" isn't anything special, either..)

Oh and the CONGESTION is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C! I-95 is a complete joke, and will almost certainly never be expanded into the 14+ lane freeway with toll lanes that it SHOULD be. The Parkway is slightly better, but all the "NIMBY's" out there consider it some sort of historical landmark (c'mon its a ROAD, after all!), and will never allow it to be expanded, either (in spite of adequate right-of-way to do so). The other main throughfare, Route 1, is two lanes in most spots (1 lane per direction) WITH very frequent traffic lights, and is completely useless for bypassing the daily rush hour traffic jams. 95 is typically backed up for 25+ miles each afternoon (Greenwich-Bridgeport). Not even Los Angeles has traffic like that.

If you have to live in that are (presumably due to a job in NYC or thereabout), I'd go with Westchester (particulary the northern part..i-684 corridor)--just as expensive and snooty, but significantly less congested, or the Danbury area.

The Hartford area is very nice, as is Northeastern CT--much more affordable, and MUCH less congested. There's lots of nature up here, as well as a solid economy and access to most everything Fairfield County has.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
THE place to be avoided: Fairfield County.

It's one of the snootiest areas in the country. People generally have a sense of entitlement that is about as obnoxious as it gets. Don't drive a BMW or make a 6-figure income? Only drive an Accord and make 50K? You simply wont fit in with most towns.

Forget about owning a home for <$800k unless you're okay with living in areas with subpar school systems (namely Stamford/Norwalk), or a complete ghetto (Bridgeport....and, no, "Black Rock" isn't anything special, either..)

Oh and the CONGESTION is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C! I-95 is a complete joke, and will almost certainly never be expanded into the 14+ lane freeway with toll lanes that it SHOULD be. The Parkway is slightly better, but all the "NIMBY's" out there consider it some sort of historical landmark (c'mon its a ROAD, after all!), and will never allow it to be expanded, either (in spite of adequate right-of-way to do so). The other main throughfare, Route 1, is two lanes in most spots (1 lane per direction) WITH very frequent traffic lights, and is completely useless for bypassing the daily rush hour traffic jams. 95 is typically backed up for 25+ miles each afternoon (Greenwich-Bridgeport). Not even Los Angeles has traffic like that.

If you have to live in that are (presumably due to a job in NYC or thereabout), I'd go with Westchester (particulary the northern part..i-684 corridor)--just as expensive and snooty, but significantly less congested, or the Danbury area.

The Hartford area is very nice, as is Northeastern CT--much more affordable, and MUCH less congested. There's lots of nature up here, as well as a solid economy and access to most everything Fairfield County has.
I agree that 95 traffic rivals traffic on the 405 in LA. I have commuted both in recent years, and 95 is probably worse between Greenwich and New Haven.

That said, where the heck would you like them to add 12 lanes? SW CT is one of the most dense areas in the nation, and after the 100 years it would take to expand this freeway, traffic would be worse. If you build it, they will come. LA and ATL learned this the hard way.

Think about it logically for a few minutes. They would have to knock down everything along RT 1, tear up homes, goodbye downtown Darien, goodbye downtown Stamford, goodbye Greenwich Ave. Rerouting Metro North tracks is not easy either! It's not about the NIMBY's (well, maybe the RT 7 project is, but that's it). It's about LACK OF SPACE. It can't/won't happen.

Just because you didn't enjoy your time in FFC, doesn't mean we have to tear up the quality of life there to suit YOU. Your bitterness regarding FFC reeks of jealousy - but it is very easy to be jealous of the money over there, so I understand.

Oh, and FWIW, Danbury is just as much Fairfield County as Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Forgot to mention:

Yes, Fairfield County has some great schools (Westport, Fairfield, etc.) However, the schools in the rest of the state are excellent, as well (districts such as Glastonbury, West Hartford, and many smaller towns such as Woodstock, Hebron, South Windsor, etc etc etc). The cost of living in these towns are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than Fairfield County. Homes in the 250k range are pretty abundant once you're out of the lower portion of the state.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Danbury, while part of FFC, is NOT anywhere near as congested/snooty as lower FFC. It is much more spread-out, much more affordable, and not nearly as congested as the towns closer to the coast. The surrounding areas (Newtown/Bethel/Brookfield) are semi-rural in nature, with tons of open space, and less of that "new yorker" attitude that you'd find in Greenwich or the like. Coastal FFC is non-stop density and manhattan commuters.

Quote:
I agree that 95 traffic rivals traffic on the 405 in LA. I have commuted both in recent years, and 95 is probably worse between Greenwich and New Haven.

That said, where the heck would you like them to add 12 lanes? SW CT is one of the most dense areas in the nation, and after the 100 years it would take to expand this freeway, traffic would be worse. If you build it, they will come. LA and ATL learned this the hard way.

Think about it logically for a few minutes. They would have to knock down everything along RT 1, tear up homes, goodbye downtown Darien, goodbye downtown Stamford, goodbye Greenwich Ave. It's not about the NIMBY's (well, maybe the RT 7 project is, but that's it). It's about LACK OF SPACE. It can't/won't happen.

Just because you didn't enjoy your time in FFC, doesn't mean we have to tear up the quality of life there to suit YOU. Your bitterness regarding FFC reeks of jealousy - but it is very easy to be jealous of the money over there, so I understand.

Oh, and FWIW, Danbury is just as much Fairfield County as Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut