Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 19,263 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Ok here is my situation. Just sold my house Long Island, moving to CT in a month or so. Husband's job got relocated, he is now working in Stamford. I have 2 pre school age children (one with a speech delay), and one entering HS. I am looking to rent first, then buy a home once I get to know the area. Good schools are of course important to us. We are open to areas outside of Stamford. I also would like a bit of diversity, as we are mixed races black/white/hispanic. Have been looking in Darien, Norwalk, New Canaan and of course Stamford. Still not sure.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thank you all in advance, these forums have been very imformative and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Stamford would be more diverse then any of the others but the schools aren't as good as the other towns you listed. Unfortunately, most of the really good school districts don't have tons of diversity.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 PM

thank you KH02, for your reply, I kinda imagined that. Guess its a choice between diversity and good school district hmmm

Old 10-13-2009, 04:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoejungle View Post
Hi everyone,
Ok here is my situation. Just sold my house Long Island, moving to CT in a month or so. Husband's job got relocated, he is now working in Stamford. I have 2 pre school age children (one with a speech delay), and one entering HS. I am looking to rent first, then buy a home once I get to know the area. Good schools are of course important to us. We are open to areas outside of Stamford. I also would like a bit of diversity, as we are mixed races black/white/hispanic. Have been looking in Darien, Norwalk, New Canaan and of course Stamford. Still not sure.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Thank you all in advance, these forums have been very imformative and helpful.
Have you modified your initial housing budget that you mentioned this past summer? $400K barely buys a decent house in Norwalk or Stamford. $600K minimally in Darien/New Canaan.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Stamford area is one of the most expensive in the country. The nicer towns adjacent to it are among the most desirable in the country. Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan are great towns with excellents schools. Here is a link to information on the schools here in Connecticut.

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Jay

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM

32 posts, read 103,665 times
Would you consider Fairfield to be too far? I'm not sure if it is more diverse racially, but it seems more economically diverse than New Canaan & Darien. They also have a good schools.

Are the schools in Shippan good? That neighborhood seems to have a lovely mix of people.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 PM

thank you everyone for your replys. We are still looking but Im happy that Im getting to know Ct a lil better.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
Actually, $1,000,000 is barely a starter house in New Canaan.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:06 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I don't know how much you can spend, but of the towns with excellent schools, I'd suggest you consider Greenwich. It's pretty diverse, economically as well as racially. It will be very expensive though.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 17,434 times
Stamford is definitely the most diverse of these towns. As such, our schools are the most diverse, catering to students of all abilities. Our graduates go to Ivy League colleges and we have a great support program for students who need support. And, I've always said, your school is as good as your child's teacher. You need to be involved. There are great resources here. Find yourself a really good, competent realtor to show you the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut