Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,621 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP!! I just moved to Fairfield and am commuting to NYC everyday. I plan to take the 6:40 AM or 6:51 AM train and will not get back to the station until 9 or 10 PM each night (I know my job is awful). I am a 26 year old female and have been parking in the 6 dollar lot on mill plain road or under the bridge on mill plain road but the walk to the lot is a little scary by myself at night. Are there any parking spots in the main train station lot that are $6 per day spaces? If so, when do they fill up by? When I drove around this morning it seemed that every spot was for a permit (I am on the list as of yesterday). Please help me and send me suggestions and answers.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktb4444 View Post
PLEASE HELP!! I just moved to Fairfield and am commuting to NYC everyday. I plan to take the 6:40 AM or 6:51 AM train and will not get back to the station until 9 or 10 PM each night (I know my job is awful). I am a 26 year old female and have been parking in the 6 dollar lot on mill plain road or under the bridge on mill plain road but the walk to the lot is a little scary by myself at night. Are there any parking spots in the main train station lot that are $6 per day spaces? If so, when do they fill up by? When I drove around this morning it seemed that every spot was for a permit (I am on the list as of yesterday). Please help me and send me suggestions and answers.

Thanks,
This is from the Fairfield Police Department web site: TRAIN STATION PARKING

Parking at any of the Fairfield train stations is regulated by the Fairfield Parking Authority. Permits are required at all train stations. Day parking spaces are available (cars parked in day parking areas will receive an envelope and will be required to mail in the fee for the day). Special Police officers patrol the train stations Monday through Friday. Violators will be ticketed. Exceptions: Weekends and some holidays: no permit required. For questions: contact Town of Fairfield Fairfield Parking Authority at (203) 256-3000.
The sad thing about the parking permit situation is that many people have waited for about five years to get their permit.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,028 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Do you think this was very smart info to put out there on a public forum?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Do you think this was very smart info to put out there on a public forum?
Huh? What are you talking about?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Huh? What are you talking about?
I belive the coment was in reference to her age, when she gets to the station, and where she parks. It makes her an easy target.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I belive the coment was in reference to her age, when she gets to the station, and where she parks. It makes her an easy target.
That's absurd.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's absurd.
I agree, but there are some sick people in this world.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM

588 posts, read 1,873,091 times
Quote:

Thanks,
I take the same train just about every day. The in-station daily lot is normally full before 6:30 when I walk by. If you try to take the earlier train you can usually grab a spot there. Otherwise, you can walk about 1/4 mile up the road (Unqouwa Rd I think) to the Knights of Columbus. Cost is $4/day, and there are always spots available for those time trains. It will be full before the 7:24 though. It's not very well lit, particularly the spaces behind the building, but you're almost always going to be on a train with someone else parking up there.

What you might be able to do is work out a deal with the taxi folks to see if you can pay them $1 or 2 to give you a lift up to your car, for safety reasons. It will be less than 5 mins for them, which shouldn't really cause any problem for them. If you're paying $4 to park, plus $2 for the taxi ride to your car at night, it's the same amount as if you paid the $6 in the station lot.

And that sucks about your hours... mine aren't a huge amount better. It's no fun. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
Get on the waiting list for a permit right away. The cost of a permit is much less than day parking, but it takes some time to get a permit to the main lot.

I would also suggest Knights of Columbus. It's right up Unquowa Road from the station. I parked there for about 2 years before I got my permit. It's cheaper and closer than the lot on Mill Plain Road.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 AM

588 posts, read 1,873,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Get on the waiting list for a permit right away. The cost of a permit is much less than day parking, but it takes some time to get a permit to the main lot.
Understatement of the century! I've been on the waiting list since January of 2007, and last time I checked there were over 4500 people ahead of me, with a minimum wait time of 4 more years.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I'm annoyed about the parking situation here. And, from what I hear, it's no better in most of the other towns along the shore line. The new train station will help a bit, but the wait time will still be insane.

If the parking police would actually compare license plates to permits every day instead of once or twice per month, and fine both the car owner AND the permit owner, that would cut down on the people who borrow from their neighbors. To make it easier, put bar codes on the permits and give the guys scanner's to do it for them.

There needs to be a better system of cycling out the old permit holders, or those who are only holding it in case they get a new job that requires them to return to taking the train. If the waiting list was much lower (maybe 1500 new spots will equate to 2000 permits?), or if we allowed the returning permit holders priority if they need a permit again, then the rest of us waiting for years might actually be able to make use of the parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut