Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times

Advertisements

See, the thing is the Whalers did have a large fanbase, just a horrible owner. One of the reasons the Wolfpack never got going is because they are a Ranger farm team among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
The franchise still has a horrible owner

Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,800 times
basically, anything above hartford: Sox turf. Anything below Wilton: Yankees turf. Everything in between is mixed.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,800 times
Simsbury? I lived there for 4 years: definitely leaning to the Patriots. But it does have a significant Giant fan base.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
i grew up in New London county which i believe is closer to Boston but i'm split with my sports. Red Sox/anti Yankee fan in baseball (although i'm not a big baseball fan overall) and Giants fan in football. don't care about NBA or NHL.
the RS makes sense because of our proximity to Boston but i became a Giants fan mostly because my father was. when he was growing up, the Patriots didn't exist so by default, the Giants were the 'local' team (in addition to the fact that they were a flagship franchise and had been around forever). just followed in his footsteps. at this point, i really don't like the Patriots at all - for a variety of reasons (not the least of which was the game they played with Hartford) - which is why i was jumping for joy a year ago when my Giants beat them evil undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. greatest sports moment of my life.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM

356 posts, read 808,623 times
Fairfield County=All Yankees/Mets with ample Red Sox following.

Rest of the state=Divided between Yankees/Sox with ample Mets following.

Thats what I've come to notice in my 8 years here.

GO BRONX BOMBERS!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withthegeeks View Post
basically, anything above hartford: Sox turf. Anything below Wilton: Yankees turf. Everything in between is mixed.
Are you serious? Danbury, Ridgefield, Bethel, and basically all of Fairfield County roots for the Mets and Yankees. Not just towns below Wilton.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The franchise still has a horrible owner
Hey, the Knicks and Rangers have WORSE owners. Trust me. James Dolan could jump off a bridge and I wouldnt care. I hate his guts.

Funny story:

Adam Graves night like 3 weeks ago...

"I would like to thank the owners of the Rangers (very loud boo's) FOR BRINGING ME BACK! (Loud Cheers!)"

Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,378 times
I would say CT is

MLB
-55% NYY, 35% BOS, 10% NYM

NFL
-60% NYG, 40% NE, 5% NYJ

NHL
-65% NYR, 10% NYI, 5% NJ, 10% BOS, 10% Whalers

NBA
-65% BOS, 25% NYK, 10% NJ

Also I'd add Fairfield County is just like Westchester
New Haven County particularly areas next to Fairfield is just the same

Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
When I was up in the Hartford area for 2 months this summer, I saw plenty of both Boston and NY teams on people's shirts and hats and brought it up.

My take is that basically I-91 is the "fault line" where it is 50-50 for NY vs. Boston and west of it becomes more NY and east of it it becomes more Boston.

I am surprised to see Red Sox and Pats gear in Danbury and Norwalk though, but I have lately for some reason. Maybe for some the illogical geography has to do with being "New England" teams? I say that because I know a few people in the northern suburbs of NY (but quite rare) who actually root for the Bills because it's the only NFL team "in the state of NY" even though there are 7 teams geographically closer (besides the Jets and Giants in NJ, there's the Eagles, the Ravens, the Redskins, the (almost as far as Buffalo) Steelers, and yes, the Pats). While up in Hartford I knew someone who was from West Haven who used this logic to root for the Boston teams and has all his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut