Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
NESN is broadcast in Danbury because I remember watching it occasionally when I lived there. This was 5 years ago so it may have changed.
I was in Danbury from 03 to 07, and had Comcast. Never did I have NESN, or was eligible to get it. Would have loved it though. If you had it, it might have been either DirecTV or at a sports bar.

As for Putnam, I would say it's about:
MLB: 75% Red Sox, 20% Yankees, 5% other
NFL: 70% Patriots, 20% Giants, 10% other
NBA: 85% Celtics, 15% other

But since Putnam has more Italians, blacks, and Hispanics compared to neighboring towns - here's Thompson for comparison.

MLB: 85-90% Red Sox, 5-10% Yankees, 5% other
NFL: 80% Patriots, 10% Giants, 10% other
NBA: 90% Celtics, 10% other

Hockey is not that big up here. Or at least I never see anyone talking about it or wearing stuff.

As for me: Red Sox, Patriots, Nets
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,143 times
I can see that for Putnam and Thompson in extreme NE CT.

As for Danbury, that is the reverse, 95% all go for NY teams.
I think any Red Sox or Pats fan there is NOT a fan due to it being the "local" team but more they are popular teams with a broad following in the country.

For instance, in northern Virginia, you will see many Red Sox and Pats fans.
Does that mean Northern VA is Sox and Pats country?
No.

I equate a Sox fan in Fairfield County and most of New Haven County (at least from New Haven west) as being no different than a Steelers/Cowboys fan.

Not fans because of local roots but due to a popular team.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM

14 posts, read 48,504 times
Default go Mets

You probably will not believe me, judging from some of your other posts on the forum, but....

I have lived in several of the towns closer to NY line and I can assure you that there are many, many Mets fans as well as Yankees. I work in the schools in several towns, and in addition to my own husband and most of his friends, I meet a ton of Mets fans. Of course it is easier to be a Yankees fan, so there are many of those as well. (I just found it interesting that you ignored the Mets altogther.)

It was always my understanding that the Red Sox fans really came into play once you got to the New Haven line. For example, when we are in Stamford we see the Yankees or Mets games on in the bars but when we go see family in New Haven, there would typically be a Red Sox game on. OF course there are NY fans there as well. and there are Red Sox fans down closer to NY. But the locals seem to be pretty much in agreement that there are more Boston fans once you get to New Haven, and more NY fans to the west. I asked the same question when I moved here in the early 90s.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM

14 posts, read 48,504 times
Default Celtics

"2) Also, is it me or does it seem the other two BOS sports, the Bruins and Celtics, have no prescene in CT?
I've seen many people wearing Sox or Pats stuff but hardly any, if ever Bruins or Celtics, does Boston have proportionally much less a prescene in winter sports, and if so, why?"

AGain, it is just you. My husband grew up in New Haven (which you also refuse to believe is the Boston Red Sox divide line for some reason, since you insist it is part of metro NYC lol) and has been a Celtics fan all his life. He is not unique, meaning he is not the only one in the region who is a huge fan!!

I have read too many of your posts, which btw, are often hard to follow due to the grammatical mistakes and pretzel logic, and I suggest you get out from in front of the computer screen and GET OUT of the house! YOu said you have not been to the area in a while, which says it all. YOu really do not have a clue about what is going on ANYwhere in this state.

Sorry to all the other posters,, but this guy has made it a habit of trashing CT on other threads and seems to love stirring up the pot and arguing with people. HIs original question was just a tack to get everyone arguing back and forth. He already has his mind made up and know everything. He has too much time on his hands and wants to get everyone riled up. He will only insist he is right if you disagree with him.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,811 times
The more I think about it, I notice there's a lot of Mets/Jets fans in the Valley. Stratford all the way up to Naugatuck, quite a few.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:50 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffey View Post
"2) Also, is it me or does it seem the other two BOS sports, the Bruins and Celtics, have no prescene in CT?
I've seen many people wearing Sox or Pats stuff but hardly any, if ever Bruins or Celtics, does Boston have proportionally much less a prescene in winter sports, and if so, why?"

AGain, it is just you. My husband grew up in New Haven (which you also refuse to believe is the Boston Red Sox divide line for some reason, since you insist it is part of metro NYC lol) and has been a Celtics fan all his life. He is not unique, meaning he is not the only one in the region who is a huge fan!!

I have read too many of your posts, which btw, are often hard to follow due to the grammatical mistakes and pretzel logic, and I suggest you get out from in front of the computer screen and GET OUT of the house! YOu said you have not been to the area in a while, which says it all. YOu really do not have a clue about what is going on ANYwhere in this state.

Sorry to all the other posters,, but this guy has made it a habit of trashing CT on other threads and seems to love stirring up the pot and arguing with people. HIs original question was just a tack to get everyone arguing back and forth. He already has his mind made up and know everything. He has too much time on his hands and wants to get everyone riled up. He will only insist he is right if you disagree with him.

New Haven is not the fault line, and I will refuse to acknowledge YOUR pretzel logic if you insist this is the case.
Lemme give you some background and some common sense ok Pal.
I grew up in eastern FFC near the NHC line...and it was ALL Yanks and Mets.
I find it hard to believe that 15 miles to the east "Magically" the Sox have a presence.

First...New Haven IS part of the NY TRI STATE REGION.
If you go on the census you will see New Haven County is included as part of metro NY.
Second...New Haven is only 75 miles to NYC...and 135 to Boston.
New Haven also has a commuter train station to NYC....not to Boston.
So please explain to me why New Haven, a town almost double the distance to Boston, that DOES NOT GET Boston broadcast stations, that is economically, culturally tied to the NY metro area...would choose to align with Boston?

I agree there is some Sox presence, but not much.
The true fault line is the Hartford County line/CT River.
But New Haven?
That's a continuation of NY.
It would be PRETZEL logic for New Haven residents to consider a team that is almost DOUBLE as far away and in smaller market the local team...you are wrong.

You start to see a little Sox presence in New Haven...but still overwhelming Yankee fans.
The real beginning is the Hartford County line.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 PM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffey View Post
since you insist it is part of metro NYC
Actually, it is. As is Waterbury.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, it is. As is Waterbury.
I agree with tberg on this but for different reasons. It's the same crock that the Census Bureau used to remove Trenton, NJ from the Philly area and make it part of NYC.

There are some people who have moved as far away as New Haven and Trenton and commute to NYC because of extreme housing costs. More often they are just commuting to true "outer" parts of metro NYC (for example, I have a friend who lives in a nice town near Trenton but commutes to New Brunswick, or when my wife worked in Norwalk, she had a co-worker from New Haven). Sometimes in these cases, spouses commute in different directions, for example one spouse in New Haven might commute to Norwalk and the other to Hartford.

My argument is that although you can (faintly) get NYC TV stations from New Haven (or Trenton), you more easily get those of Hartford (or Philly). Thus, I think they should stay classified with the Neilsen market they are in, nowhere outside of NYC do they do this (and they didn't before 2000 anyway).

That said, I noted earlier, I know a couple of New Haven natives who have always gone for the Red Sox (and they are in their 40s, not "2004 wannabees"), so I still think it begins the "fault line", but as a "beginning" it is more Yankees than Red Sox.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 PM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I agree with tberg on this but for different reasons. It's the same crock that the Census Bureau used to remove Trenton, NJ from the Philly area and make it part of NYC.

There are some people who have moved as far away as New Haven and Trenton and commute to NYC because of extreme housing costs. More often they are just commuting to true "outer" parts of metro NYC (for example, I have a friend who lives in a nice town near Trenton but commutes to New Brunswick, or when my wife worked in Norwalk, she had a co-worker from New Haven). Sometimes in these cases, spouses commute in different directions, for example one spouse in New Haven might commute to Norwalk and the other to Hartford.

My argument is that although you can (faintly) get NYC TV stations from New Haven (or Trenton), you more easily get those of Hartford (or Philly). Thus, I think they should stay classified with the Neilsen market they are in, nowhere outside of NYC do they do this (and they didn't before 2000 anyway).

That said, I noted earlier, I know a couple of New Haven natives who have always gone for the Red Sox (and they are in their 40s, not "2004 wannabees"), so I still think it begins the "fault line", but as a "beginning" it is more Yankees than Red Sox.
I hear what you are saying, but folks can disagree all they want. Both cities are a part of the NYC Metro. Just because a certain percentage of residents don't commute there, or there are also Hartford TV stations, does not change the geographical boundaries of the greater metro area.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but folks can disagree all they want. Both cities are a part of the NYC Metro. Just because a certain percentage of residents don't commute there, or there are also Hartford TV stations, does not change the geographical boundaries of the greater metro area.
Uh, these boundaries were changed after the 2000 census from other boundaries (i.e. New Haven was originally attached to the Hartford area, Trenton to the Philly area), it's not like they were always this way. It doesn't make sense for all your media to be tied to one area yet the Census insists you're physically instead part of one whose media you barely get. Maybe I'm wrong, but except through cable, I don't think NYC TV stations reach New Haven clearly (I know from Westchester if I use an antenna I only get ch. 8 very faintly to point it out in reverse). If other parts of the country were treated this way, I could understand, but these are the only 2 cases and they were only done in this decade, not historically. Maybe New Haven could be argued for metro NY on the basis of Metro North, but Waterbury more so is a LOT closer to Hartford than NYC (and Metro North is a branch line that is almost impossible to commute to NYC with.....switch trains, limited schedules, etc.). And Trenton is twice as far from NYC as it is from Philly.

Not worth going any crazier than this, but just wanting to point out. And I'm not pointing this out because I'm from New Haven or anything, it just seems incorrect to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut