Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,688,519 times

Advertisements

As I'm sure everybody knows lower FFC is known as the Gold Coast because of its affluence, and many people commute to New York City from here. But in several of these towns (like Fairfield and Westport, even New Canaan) you can still find starter homes like split levels and cape houses that are below the median house price.

I was browsing at real estate sites online and actually saw a few houses like this. Yes, they're still very expensive (as in a split level in FCC can go for $700,000), and yes the property taxes are still obscene. But I'm wondering if there was ever a time, like when these smaller houses were built, if there was more of a middle-class feel to these towns. I mean, most people when they hear Fairfield County they usually think of Greenwich since it's the closest town to NYC and most of the houses there are estates, whereas in other towns they have this as well but you can still find other, smaller homes that went up in the 1950s and 60s when towns developed into bedroom communities. Were these areas always expensive as they are now? Does anyone know this area well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,841,302 times
We have some relatives that bought a small home in New Canaan on over five acres for $30k, back in the 1950's. They were actually hesitant to do so, because back then New Canaan was considered "the country" and they feared it might be a bad investment long-term. But of course it was a good investment, and there were already several wealthy residents living in New Canaan. Still, up until the 70's or so, there was still a large number of middle-class families. After that property values soared.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
My late grandparents purchased a house in New Canaan many decades ago, and it was recently sold for about 25x the price they paid. But even back then, lower FFC was still pricier than your average suburb.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,263,351 times
When the baby boomers were coming up you could graduate from high school, find a factory job or low-level government job, and buy a newer home in places like Springdale and Glenbrook in Stamford, Noroton Heights in Darien, and even Byram in Greenwich. Times have changed.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,646,160 times
In the early sixties my grandmother bought several lots in Easton and built a few homes. I can't recall the price she paid, but it was very cheap. Like another post mentioned, it was considered the country. People weren't leaving NYC or looking to live in Ct and working in the city. In the lower section of Easton, the government built inexpensive ranch houses the were sold at cheap prices to returning GI's after WW2. My great uncle bought one and I think he paid less than $5000.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,929,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
As I'm sure everybody knows lower FFC is known as the Gold Coast because of its affluence, and many people commute to New York City from here. But in several of these towns (like Fairfield and Westport, even New Canaan) you can still find starter homes like split levels and cape houses that are below the median house price.

I was browsing at real estate sites online and actually saw a few houses like this. Yes, they're still very expensive (as in a split level in FCC can go for $700,000), and yes the property taxes are still obscene. But I'm wondering if there was ever a time, like when these smaller houses were built, if there was more of a middle-class feel to these towns. I mean, most people when they hear Fairfield County they usually think of Greenwich since it's the closest town to NYC and most of the houses there are estates, whereas in other towns they have this as well but you can still find other, smaller homes that went up in the 1950s and 60s when towns developed into bedroom communities. Were these areas always expensive as they are now? Does anyone know this area well?
In short, yes. FFC was affordable to many.

Anyone remember the show Green Acres? It makes CT seem like the boon docks.

YouTube - Green Acres Feb 9 1966 part one

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM

34,675 posts, read 56,455,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
In the early sixties my grandmother bought several lots in Easton and built a few homes. I can't recall the price she paid, but it was very cheap. Like another post mentioned, it was considered the country. People weren't leaving NYC or looking to live in Ct and working in the city. In the lower section of Easton, the government built inexpensive ranch houses the were sold at cheap prices to returning GI's after WW2. My great uncle bought one and I think he paid less than $5000.
Inexpensive government built ranches in Easton??? I know the town pretty well and have no idea where this is. Jay

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM

34,675 posts, read 56,455,731 times
I wrote a post on this yesterday but for some reason it did not get posted. Anyway, to answer the OP, Fairfield County has always enjoyed a prosperous existence. It location near major cities, well protected ports and rich farmland made it very desirable for industry and farming. Cities such as Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford and Danbury were powerhouses during the industrial revolution and created their own wealth. This allowed the area to develop attractively which further encourage wealthy New Yorkers to come and settle here (first with "country" homes and then as commuting suburbs). Jay

Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,646,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Inexpensive government built ranches in Easton??? I know the town pretty well and have no idea where this is. Jay
There weren't a large number built. Most didn't have basements if not all. There were a few on Sport Hill Rd and several on Chester Rd. The homes were built a year or two after the war. A freind of mine growing up lived in one of the homes his grandparents owned. If you look at any of the homes now you would never know their previous existence. I believe a few have been torn down for bigger homes.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 PM

220 posts, read 467,567 times
My parents bought their aprox. 1400 sq ft split level on a quarter acre lot in 1967 for $29,000, in Greenwich, and that was the more expensive model in the neighborhood. I think the raised ranch option was a few thousand less. My father was a school teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut