Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,266 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We may possibly have to relocate from San Francisco Bay Area, CA to Connecticut mid school year... specifically, within commuting distance from Milford, CT (max 40 mins). Would love to hear any inside scoop or suggestions on areas to check out.

We currently live in Marin County, CA so are used to high housing prices, but we'd like to stay between $750K and 1M if possible. We are hoping to find an area where folks are well educated but down to earth. We have been spoiled up to now being close to San Francisco with much to do, great restaurants, progressive political climate and all that it culturally has to offer. We've also been lucky to be in a great neighborhood here where we can walk our kids to school and are hoping for a similar situation out there.

We have two elementary aged kids and (of course) are interested in great schools. We would love to be in a family friendly neighborhood where other houses are in close proximity and our kids will have a better chance of meeting other kids, especially since they will be uprooted mid school year. It would be a plus to be walking distance to town center or to an area with coffee houses or shops...

Would love to hear any suggestions as I have only ever driven through Connecticut and (yes) I know I'm going to freeze!

Last edited by marintoct; 10-18-2009 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I'd suggest Fairfield for you. It's a few towns west of Milford, down to Earth and inexpensive compared to the affluent suburbs further down the line. In your price range you can get a nice home in a good neighborhood. Schools in Fairfield are excellent. I would have suggested Westport but it's more expensive, though it is absolutely beautiful. Check it out.

If you want more middle class where your money will go much further, look into Woodbridge. It's a suburban town next to New Haven home to many doctors, lawyers and professors. It does have a large Jewish population, and the folks are generally friendly. They also have excellent schools, shared with neighboring Orange (which is also a decent, more middle class suburban community). Only thing is these towns are very woodsy and don't have a town center.

I live just northwest of LA and am moving to back to CT in a few months. Can't wait.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I agree that Fairfield is a great town but i would also suggest looking a bit closer to Milford. Check out Woodbridge or Orange. They are 10 to 15 minutes from Milford and are considered wonderful upscale suburbs of New Haven. These towns are more rural in character though and do not have the town center you would like (if that is important then Fairfield would be a better choice). You will find a great house there in your price range and will be close to all the amenities and culture that New Haven has to offer. Keep in mind though that New Haven is a small city and is not going to have as much as San Francisco. On the other hand you will be living about 95 minutes from Manhattan and you will certainly enjoy all that New York has to offer. Jay

Old 10-18-2009, 06:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
I'd suggest Orange. I live in Fairfield and love it, but it's significantly more expensive than towns further east. If you'll be working in Milford anyway, it makes more sense to go to a nice town just east of Milford than to go west, where the prices rise with every mile you travel.

If I worked in the Milford-New Haven zone, I'd probably live in Orange myself. It's a great town, and it's near a lot things like restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Woodbridge is a bit more rural, and it gets more rural as you travel north from the coast.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks... makes sense about the prices going up as you go West but I must admit that Fairfield is pretty inviting...My husband has now expressed interest in coastal towns. What are the coastal towns like East of Milford?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 PM

And how long is the commute from Fairfield to Milford with traffic?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marintoct View Post
Thanks... makes sense about the prices going up as you go West but I must admit that Fairfield is pretty inviting...My husband has now expressed interest in coastal towns. What are the coastal towns like East of Milford?
Milford borders West Haven on the water. So if you're looking for good schools, we're looking on the other side of the Havens: Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton.

The farther east you go, the longer the commute to Milford - especially with the mess around Long Wharf on I-95 and the reconstruction of the 95/91/34 interchange plus construction of a new Q Bridge. There's no real good way to get around this either, without going out of your way through North Haven.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marintoct View Post
And how long is the commute from Fairfield to Milford with traffic?
If you're commuting during the regular rush hours then traffic shouldn't be too bad going 95 N from Fairfield to Milford in the morning. Traffic generally goes south and west in southern Connecticut (toward Stamford and Manhattan) and north and east in the evening. You'll be going against traffic.

Now that you're considering coastal towns, I'd continue to look into Fairfield and Westport. IMO it seems like Westport is more what you are looking for, but Fairfield has a lower price tag. Westport does have top public schools, among the best in the country. Fairfield's are very good too.

I'd suggest Branford, Guilford and Madison but getting over the Q Bridge in the morning can be pretty difficult. 95 traffic can be rough, but as I said, if you're looking into Fairfield/Westport area, you'll be going against the traffic.

Maybe the better thing is to list towns in the area I don't think you'd like - Bridgeport, West Haven and New Haven. *ducks*

Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Maybe the better thing is to list towns in the area I don't think you'd like - Bridgeport, West Haven and New Haven. *ducks*
No need to duck.

I'd probably be inclined to agree that Stratford, Milford and East Haven would also not be the most ideal choices for this particular OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut