Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 22,169 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We are trying to move to CT from NY and found this house in Fairfield, which is within our budget range and everything however it is too close to the I-95.

When the windows are open, you can clearly hear the traffic - but with closed window, its pretty negligible. On backyard, there is no escaping from the noise.

Probably, that's why the price is aggressive on this house, which makes it attractive however because of the proximity to the interstate and the noise makes it repulsive.

Anyone living close to interstate? What are your experience?

From resale point of view, how bad this noise factor can be?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
I don't live near one, but for me it would be a huge deal breaker. My wife and I have been looking around at homes lately and anything near any type of busier road or interstate is an immediate no and we have seen some nice ones, but the noise factor is important to us.

For resale - I would say you would probably, eventually find a buyer, but you have to know going into it that your house will sell lower than others in your area and it will also take you longer to sell yours. Also buyers might not be as willing to forgive things that need painting, updating, etc if you already have the highway noise factor going against you from the onset. Personally I would walk away and keep looking.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
It would be a deal breaker for me as well. I have young children and we LOVE to play outside as well as entertain family outdoors. I would not want loud highway noise in my yard...

So yes, it does effect resale value.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
I would never. It would affect you if you're looking to sell anytime soon. Even far down the road, it would be hard to sell I would think. How close is it?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Buyers today seem to be looking for reasons not to buy a particular home. Being very near a highway is one of them. Unless you could get a really good deal on the house then you might want to keep looking. By the way, how far from the highway would you be? If you are not right on top of it, it should not be too bad. Jay

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,169 times
Totally agree. Really tough call for me.House sits on slightly higher grounds from I-95, at about 600-700 ft away.Thanks for feedback.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
Is there any possibility of adding some kind of barrier, like transplanted trees or even acoustic tiling? I assume not, but thought I'd raise the issue. A good solid wall of foliage can have a substantial effect, though obviously less so in wintertime.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
If YOU don't mind the noise, then go for it. Just know your house will have to be in tip top shape when/if you try to sell as others have noted, and you'll have to settle for lower than what similar homes in town are going for. Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
I would guess it depends on much of a discount you would be getting vs. the other comparable homes in the area. If you are trying to break into a great town, with great schools, but can't afford it, then this might be a good way to get in. Like everyone else said - just don't expect to be able to easily walk away if you need to.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
HUGE dealbreaker, don't do it!

We had a house to sell that was fairly close to a state road and people really complained about the noise there. I can't imagine it was anything compared to 95!

I would say that the house's proximity to 95 would be just as bad of a dealbreaker as one close to train tracks or an airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut