Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by politricks View Post
You could always take the train from New Haven or Milford.
Really, I hate driving but once I'm in my car, I'd rather just drive and get there, rather than drive an hour, park, get on a train, and grab a cab at the other end. By that point, I'd be too exhausted to work afterwards.

Thanks for the idea, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Yeah but you could relax on the train. Bring a book or nap for the ride. It is not an hour from New Haven to Stamford and your company or the office building it is in may offer a shuttle from the station. You might want to reconsider this.

If you still want to drive, I think Mikes suggestion is best. Take Route 9 south to I-91 south and the catch the Wilbur Cross Parkway (route 15) in Meriden. The Wilbur Cross turns into the Merritt Parkway. the Parkway is beautiful, so enjoy the scenery. Jay

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
On I-95 you have the views of. . .nothing. Except the chemical refineries, if that's of interest to you.
Chemical refineries??? Where? I know of no chemical refineries in Connecticut. Jay

Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
Amtrak can take you to Stamford from Hartford but service is infrequent, pricey, and often requires a transfer in New Haven. If you have to transfer, you might as well transfer there to a cheaper Metro-North train that is just as fast. Taxis and shuttle connections are good at Stamford- your employer may run their own shuttle, many do.
We take Amtrak to Hartford FROM Stamford and can never get there before 930/10 ish in the morning meaning a lot of times a drive is necessary for early meetings.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Wow, is this something you'd be doing EVERY DAY (oh wait, I read your post now, so it's occasional but work from home most of the time, good)? As someone who occasionally (such as yesterday, maybe once or twice a month) has to go up to the Hartford area for the day from just past Stamford (on the Westchester/Fairfield line), that is a lot even with no traffic.

But that said, I'd say from WH do one of two things:

1) I-91 south to the Wilbur Cross/Merritt (CT 15)

2) I-84 west to rt. 8 to the Merritt.

If I-91's really bad, you could go down Berlin Turnpike to the Wilbur Cross and hope most of the traffic lights go your way. One time when I was up there for the day I came down I-91 to the Wilbur Cross and had some construction traffic around the exit that would put me down 15 to the Berlin Tpke and did that and it wasn't bad at all. But I'd rather a local concur before I tell you to definitely do that.

By the way, I concur with Mike, one of the ways yesterday I actually took the Merritt to 8 to 84, and nice as the fall color was on the Merritt, it was stunning on rt. 8 especially on the hills between Beacon Falls and Naugatuck.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow, is this something you'd be doing EVERY DAY (oh wait, I read your post now, so it's occasional but work from home most of the time, good)? As someone who occasionally (such as yesterday, maybe once or twice a month) has to go up to the Hartford area for the day from just past Stamford (on the Westchester/Fairfield line), that is a lot even with no traffic.

But that said, I'd say from WH do one of two things:

1) I-91 south to the Wilbur Cross/Merritt (CT 15)

2) I-84 west to rt. 8 to the Merritt.

If I-91's really bad, you could go down Berlin Turnpike to the Wilbur Cross and hope most of the traffic lights go your way. One time when I was up there for the day I came down I-91 to the Wilbur Cross and had some construction traffic around the exit that would put me down 15 to the Berlin Tpke and did that and it wasn't bad at all. But I'd rather a local concur before I tell you to definitely do that.

By the way, I concur with Mike, one of the ways yesterday I actually took the Merritt to 8 to 84, and nice as the fall color was on the Merritt, it was stunning on rt. 8 especially on the hills between Beacon Falls and Naugatuck.
Oh God, no! I'd kill myself... or move closer.

I'd only be doing it about half a dozen times per year, but the one time I went, I-95 just about killed me.

I really just wanted to know how much time I'd save -- and confirming that it would be a nicer drive -- by avoiding I-95.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh God, no! I'd kill myself... or move closer.

I'd only be doing it about half a dozen times per year, but the one time I went, I-95 just about killed me.

I really just wanted to know how much time I'd save -- and confirming that it would be a nicer drive -- by avoiding I-95.
Yeah, I went back and read more carefully and edited while you were writing this, LOL. My wife used to commute to Norwalk, about 25-30 miles from us with I-95 and even though it was a few miles longer (since her job was right off I-95), she'd almost ALWAYS take the Merritt, and that was with a non-rush hour (noon-8pm) job. I know I've said this elsewhere, but I-95 in CT is the east coast's closest thing to a Southern Calif. freeway.

Thanks goodness the Merritt was built way back when.....

Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yeah, I went back and read more carefully and edited while you were writing this, LOL. My wife used to commute to Norwalk, about 25-30 miles from us with I-95 and even though it was a few miles longer (since her job was right off I-95), she'd almost ALWAYS take the Merritt, and that was with a non-rush hour (noon-8pm) job. I know I've said this elsewhere, but I-95 in CT is the east coast's closest thing to a Southern Calif. freeway.

Thanks goodness the Merritt was built way back when.....
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 PM

What's confusing to me is all the talk of Route 8. I've heard that this is a good way to go, but everytime I use Mapquest (eliminating I-95 and even eliminating 91), I only see Route 9 on the map, never Route 8. And even with that, I'd only be on Route 9 for just under nine miles.

I'm coming from zip code 06117, right at Bloomfield Ave, equal distance from Albany and Cottage Grove, depending if you go right or left on Bloomfield Ave.

Maybe my starting location determines that Route 8 is never going to be a good route?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times
I wouldn't consider Route 8 as an option. The I-84/Route 8 split is in Waterbury, and has significant rush-hour delays. Unless there's something unusual happening on 91, it's your best option. The 91 south traffic thru Rocky Hill/Middletown/Meriden down to 15 usually isn't much of an issue (there will be volume, but it's usually delay-free). Rt. 15 will be fine until you hit Fairfield or so (around exit 44).

You should probably allow yourself 2 or 2.5 hours to do this during rush hour. Also, keep in mind that if your office is along 95 (I'm assuming it is downtown), it could take an additional 15 min. to get over to that side of town from the Rt. 15 stamford exits. I feel your pain--that part of the state is pathetic in terms of mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
What's confusing to me is all the talk of Route 8. I've heard that this is a good way to go, but everytime I use Mapquest (eliminating I-95 and even eliminating 91), I only see Route 9 on the map, never Route 8. And even with that, I'd only be on Route 9 for just under nine miles.

I'm coming from zip code 06117, right at Bloomfield Ave, equal distance from Albany and Cottage Grove, depending if you go right or left on Bloomfield Ave.

Maybe my starting location determines that Route 8 is never going to be a good route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut