Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM

193 posts, read 372,589 times

Advertisements

Just checking back in and bumping this thread.

Regarding questions asked, but not answered, I cannot help out much. I do know that propane burns cleaner, but am not sure what the recommended servicing period ought to be. I also don't know what impact, if any, propane would have to homeowner's insurance. Sorry.

This year we dialed down our thermostat, had a CL&P contractor come out to seal drafts, and made much more use of our wood burning stove. There's been a lot of grumbling about the house being colder, but overall I think we definitely saved quite a bit on our overall propane usage (I still have to run the numbers).

As far as suppliers go, we've stuck with State Line, but our gauge is reading 15% now (our last fill-up was mid-September), so I called a few new places to check rates. State Line still seems reasonable for an existing customer price ($2.38/gal), so I'm inclined to stick with them. But I did get quoted slightly better rates by a couple of other companies.

The best rate was by Superior Plus Energy (aka SCASCO) which was $1.999/gal for the first fill (as a new customer) and then $2.299/gal locked in till April 30th. They have locations in Bloomfield and Unionville, both of which are reasonably close to West Simsbury.

Per a previous recommendation I checked with Osterman who quoted me $2.099/gal for a first fill, but wouldn't tell me what their current going rate was. And while they do service my area, the woman said they'd be coming from Palmer, which is awfully far away, so that worries me if/when I might be in a situation where I need an emergency service or fill-up. Hocon gas, another recommendation, didn't have a very attractive price. They quoted me $2.65/gal.

I'm torn because I've been happy with State Line and they seem like a nice enough group of people from when I've spoken with them. OTOH, Superior Plus has a large national company behind it and has a better rate. While it's true that companies can give you an attractive lock-in rate only to then jack the rate way up after the lock-in period, you're also not typically bound by any contract to stay with them, so I could always switch away from them prior to April 30th if I checked with them close to that date and couldn't get a new decent lock-in rate.

Anyone else got anything new/helpful to report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Scott - have you heard for Hocon Gas, they are offering decent price - do you know anything about his company - do they are good services or not?

Also, I would like to know how often do we need to service the furnace which uses propane? They say we don't need to service every year as propane burning furnace is very clean and it can run for years. I don't know how often the furnace needs to be service, can someone advice. please.. appreciate your inputs.
Run away from Hocon. Just google it and see its reviews and I don't doubt it.

Problem now is I don't know where to get propane from anymore. Hocon seems to be on of the few propane dealers in FFC. The other one I know is Gault Energy.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Just checking back in and bumping this thread.

Regarding questions asked, but not answered, I cannot help out much. I do know that propane burns cleaner, but am not sure what the recommended servicing period ought to be. I also don't know what impact, if any, propane would have to homeowner's insurance. Sorry.

This year we dialed down our thermostat, had a CL&P contractor come out to seal drafts, and made much more use of our wood burning stove. There's been a lot of grumbling about the house being colder, but overall I think we definitely saved quite a bit on our overall propane usage (I still have to run the numbers).

As far as suppliers go, we've stuck with State Line, but our gauge is reading 15% now (our last fill-up was mid-September), so I called a few new places to check rates. State Line still seems reasonable for an existing customer price ($2.38/gal), so I'm inclined to stick with them. But I did get quoted slightly better rates by a couple of other companies.

The best rate was by Superior Plus Energy (aka SCASCO) which was $1.999/gal for the first fill (as a new customer) and then $2.299/gal locked in till April 30th. They have locations in Bloomfield and Unionville, both of which are reasonably close to West Simsbury.

Per a previous recommendation I checked with Osterman who quoted me $2.099/gal for a first fill, but wouldn't tell me what their current going rate was. And while they do service my area, the woman said they'd be coming from Palmer, which is awfully far away, so that worries me if/when I might be in a situation where I need an emergency service or fill-up. Hocon gas, another recommendation, didn't have a very attractive price. They quoted me $2.65/gal.

I'm torn because I've been happy with State Line and they seem like a nice enough group of people from when I've spoken with them. OTOH, Superior Plus has a large national company behind it and has a better rate. While it's true that companies can give you an attractive lock-in rate only to then jack the rate way up after the lock-in period, you're also not typically bound by any contract to stay with them, so I could always switch away from them prior to April 30th if I checked with them close to that date and couldn't get a new decent lock-in rate.

Anyone else got anything new/helpful to report?
I'm going to check with my Osterman rep. I know they were working on opening a distribution center in the Bristol area. I'll let you know what I find out. They are absolutely top notch.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM

139 posts, read 355,519 times
Default Recent Propane Prices

Does anyone have an update on propane prices? Starting to look at homes and wondering if we should cross off homes with propane heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut