Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 AM

16 posts, read 44,265 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Upstate NY (in a very suburban area) and I plan on moving about April 2010. I have family that still lives in NY, and I know that RI isn't THAT far away. I'd like to live within 5 hours from them, but I want to live near (no more than 30 minutes away from) a beach. I have a 16 year old daughter and she's very artsy, so I'd like to live in an area where she could utilize that. I have another child on the way, so I'll need a good school for the both of them, as well as a safe neighborhood. I'm a nurse, so I'll need to live in an area with a major hospital. My parents will move with us, and I'll need a duplex or a house with an in-law apartment for them. My dad enjoys golfing (perhaps he could join a country club?) and my mom would need to live within 10 minutes of retail stores (as well as a mall). Animals are extremely important to me; I rescue them and I have a lot of my own. I'll definitely need a good veterinary hospital (I currently live near one of the best that NY has) and a very animal-friendly community. I'd like to spend no more than $270,000 on a house, but I'm not sure what I could get for that. I'm not aware if these things are unrealistic, but I would appreciate some advice!

Also, I've been looking at houses in the Westerly, RI/Pawcatuck, CT region, as well as some houses in Warwick, RI and Jamestown, RI, but all of these areas seem so industrial to me. I'm trying to find a town close to a beach, but still somewhat suburban and secluded. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
Norwich area has hospital and affordable housing near beaches.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Most places within 30 min or less of a beach that you can afford will unfortunately not provide great schools. So I think you'd have to give on one of those things. Norwich is a good suggestion like PP said, but their schools are undesirable.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 AM

174 posts, read 639,779 times
Check into the Waterford area - it's a shoreline town in eastern CT, has good schools, tons of retail, and next door to L&M Hospital, and according to realtor.com there are a decent number of houses available in your price range.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I agree. Waterford or some of the neighboring towns like Montville might be good to consider. Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London or Backus Hospital in Norwich are the biggest hospitals in the area.

Also, have you considered a bigger city like New Haven? Jay

Old 11-01-2009, 09:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Well, in all honesty, if the OP is looking for good schools and a safe neighborhood, I'd hesitate to recommend New Haven. But not too far from Yale-New Haven hospital, the OP might consider Milford in addition to the other suggestions. It has a lot of shopping, beaches, etc. The schools aren't necessarily "very good", but some consider them to be good.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:07 PM

181 posts, read 557,424 times
Really depending on what size and kind of house you are looking for the South East shoreline can prvide that for you while still having good schools. Aside from New London and to some extent Groton, the towns right on the water are pretty much suburban, but still accessible. The schools aren't necessarily top five in the state, but there are still some pretty good schools for academics as well as arts.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Waterford, Montville, Stonington, North Stonington (Wheeler), East Lyme (EL might be cost prohibitive). If you don't mind a smaller house lot and more density, then Milford could work.

They may not have the greatest schools in the world, but certainly aren't horrible.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
I currently live in Upstate NY (in a very suburban area) and I plan on moving about April 2010. I have family that still lives in NY, and I know that RI isn't THAT far away. I'd like to live within 5 hours from them, but I want to live near (no more than 30 minutes away from) a beach. I have a 16 year old daughter and she's very artsy, so I'd like to live in an area where she could utilize that. I have another child on the way, so I'll need a good school for the both of them, as well as a safe neighborhood. I'm a nurse, so I'll need to live in an area with a major hospital. Any suggestions?
Hamden might be a viable choice. Schools are considered "decent"(by CT's high standards). New Haven, directly to the south, has a major teaching hospital(Yale-New Haven) and a smaller hospital(St. Raphael's). Hamden does not have a beach, but numerous beaches are accessible within 30 minutes. You will need to purchase a day pass or season pass to use the beaches contained within a specific town. I'm not aware of any reciprocity agreements between towns on beach passes. Each town requires you to purchase a pass from them to use their facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut