Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 PM

28 posts, read 57,314 times

Advertisements

I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks now and decided to join since there seems to be a lot of people here that are fairly knowledgeable and may be able to help me out. I was born and raised in East Haven and was never a big fan of the town itself. So when I got to college I refused to go anywhere in state and ended up going to school in New York. Then I graduated in May 2009 and decided that I wanted to get out of the north all together because I am not a big fan of the snow, so I moved to FL hoping that I would have luck finding a job down here. I do have a job right now but it isn't in the field that I went to school for and I don't even make $8/hr. So my girlfriend and I have been talking (she is from NH) and we have been discussing the possibility of moving back up north to CT in a couple years. We both miss having the change of seasons and sweating like its mid July in the end of October is not something that we are big fans of. We also think that we might have better luck finding jobs up north.

But the main reason I wanted to start this thread was to ask for advice on possible places in CT that would be nice for a young couple in their mid 20s to move to. We really like the New England feel of some of the small towns and don't want to live in a big city. I was thinking that maybe staying in the New Haven county area would be good, like possibly Cheshire, but I am also open to other towns probably in the North - North East area. if anyone has any advice on finding a nice small town to start out in in CT I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
What type of work do you do, or want to do? Maybe you should base your search on being able to find the right kind of work near where you live.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Hamden is a decent suburban town close to jobs. I'd suggest starting your search there. Lots of kids in your age bracket as well.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM

I have a degree in Accounting, but I don't have any experience to go along with it. So anywhere I have applied they all tell me the same thing, that I don't meet the basic qualifications and that they are looking for someone with a little more experience. Which is frustrating because I don't see how I will ever get experience if I can never get a job.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBorn View Post
I have a degree in Accounting, but I don't have any experience to go along with it. So anywhere I have applied they all tell me the same thing, that I don't meet the basic qualifications and that they are looking for someone with a little more experience. Which is frustrating because I don't see how I will ever get experience if I can never get a job.
What sort of work are you doing now?

That's a pretty general field, and you could do accounting a lot of different places.

You need to keep looking. You graduated pretty recently, into a terrible economy. Don't give up on it. Maybe your school can help you. What part of New York did you go to school in?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
To be honest until you secure decent employment, I wouldn't make the move. Not to mention unless you are making MUCH more then $8 an hour, you wouldn't be able to afford any town like Cheshire, also Cheshire doesn't exactly have a lot of rentals since it's more rural and suburban.

I would keep looking for work and AFTER you find it...then worry about where to live, not the other way around. In this economy you need to go where the work is. So I wouldn't move till you know.

Good Luck with your job search!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:18 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I think your best bet would be to get a job in your field and have some experience under your belt before deciding on where to move. That may not mean finding a job here in Connecticut. Your first job in your field is usually the hardest to get and is the most important since it sets the base for the rest of your career. I think that moving back to Connecticut should take a back seat to getting that experience. It would be nice if that job were here but don't make that the deciding factor. Once you have say 5 years experience you can move just about anywhere you want. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am so worried that I am never going to find a job. The job I have now is working for one of the Orlando theme parks as a ride operator. The thing that fears me the most is having to move back home and basically live in my parents basement. I do wish the job market was a lot better right now.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,768 times
I would definitely try to get something, even an intern type job doing accounting while you are still in Florida. It's hard to get a job out of state because so many places will hire local candidates only. So get your experience for the next year or two. Since you don't want to move here for another year or two, you have plenty of time to get work experience first.

I used to live in Florid and I know how horrible the jobs pay. It's a joke.
Another tip, is definitely find a recruiter/employment agency. A lot of times, companies would rather hire a temp or contractor than an actual employee. These agencies are a great way to get experience.
As far as where to go, I'd definitely recommend the Hartford metro area. For one, it's actually not that expensive, especially east of Hartford. There are lots of fantastic small towns outside of Hartford. Also, I know when we moved here, the employment agency who placed my husband said that it was harder to get people who wanted to relocate to Hartford and that most people wanted jobs in Fairfield county. So the job market may be less competitive here than southern CT.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut