Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Independent here and proud of it. That way I feel free to vote my conscience on candidates worthiness or issues without feeling like I am letting down someone else's expectations.
ITA. I wish we could do away with the whole party system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
ITA. I wish we could do away with the whole party system.
Me too. Although they are pretty well entrenched.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
I'm quite happy she wont run again, perhaps a real conservative will have a fighting chance this next go around...

Gov. Rell: Adios, dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
I'm very sorry that Jodi Rell won't be running for re-election, but I think she's made the right decision for herself politically. In politics, as in show business, always leave them wanting more.

I haven't agreed with her on everything, but I liked the way she hurled death penalty repeal right back in the face of that dysfunctional legislature. We've needed somebody like her to block some of what that abomination of a legislature passes. Their only discernible agenda is to raise spending and taxes, and reduce criminal penalties. I shudder to think of what will happen to the state with a person of like mind to the majority of legislators in the governor's office. Whatever her shortcomings, Rell was the only flimsy obstacle to this state going down the same road to unadulterated hell that New York has traveled.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Repealing the death penalty was about the only smart thing the legislature has done lately, and leave it to Jodi to screw that one up - just so one man in Cheshire can get his thirst for blood quenched. Not that I don't blame him for wanting it, but let's be real here. The state has better things to do than spend $5-10 million in taxpayer dollars trying to kill these two scum of the earth. Just throw 'em away somewhere in Somers and let em never see the light of the day again - a whole lot easier and cheaper, plus we'd never have to keep hearing their names in the media a ton of times.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Repealing the death penalty was about the only smart thing the legislature has done lately, and leave it to Jodi to screw that one up - just so one man in Cheshire can get his thirst for blood quenched. Not that I don't blame him for wanting it, but let's be real here. The state has better things to do than spend $5-10 million in taxpayer dollars trying to kill these two scum of the earth. Just throw 'em away somewhere in Somers and let em never see the light of the day again - a whole lot easier and cheaper, plus we'd never have to keep hearing their names in the media a ton of times.
I don't believe that these people will be locked up for life if taken off death row. The death penalty opponents say they favor life imprisonment, but once they win repeal of the death penalty, they'll start pushing to parole these people. Look at what happened with the Lockerbie bomber. He should have been executed instead of being sent home in the name of a 'mercy' that he denied his victims.

The legislature just wanted to do anything but make the cuts necessary to pass a reasonable budget. State legislatures are such cesspools of corruption and mediocrity.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't believe that these people will be locked up for life if taken off death row. The death penalty opponents say they favor life imprisonment, but once they win repeal of the death penalty, they'll start pushing to parole these people. Look at what happened with the Lockerbie bomber. He should have been executed instead of being sent home in the name of a 'mercy' that he denied his victims.

The legislature just wanted to do anything but make the cuts necessary to pass a reasonable budget. State legislatures are such cesspools of corruption and mediocrity.
Like the entire Lockerbie bomber release, which was essentially a deal for some contracts.

The entire western world was bought and sold by major multinational corporations a long time ago. They own the governments and pretty much the world.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Well, so far the governor's race is shaping up to be a big zero. Nobody seems to even want the job.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM

I sense Lamont beating Foley coming November.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I sense Lamont beating Foley coming November.
Lamont would probably be a disaster. With the two of them running, it will just be about who can spend the most money.

What we really need is to massacre the legislature. Everybody should go out and vote against their incumbent legislator. They're doing an abysmally poor job and need to be replaced. It doesn't even matter who the governor is with that bad bunch running things at the state capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut