Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 AM

40 posts, read 116,663 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to remove a red oak that's near my garage. I'm in Simsbury and can anyone recommend a tree service you had good luck with, or at the very least the ones to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM

13 posts, read 33,812 times
We got quotes from several companies this past summer for some trees we wanted removed. Though we haven't done the work yet because of some other unexpected projects, a couple of the companies that gave us estimates are ones we often see doing work around our town (Plainville). Check out Holcomb Tree Service (860) 747-2805 (Holcomb Tree Service - Home) and One Two Tree LLC (860) 314-0278.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:04 PM

53 posts, read 341,425 times
Default Excellent Service

We had two large trees removed from our house last year. I would recommed Save A Tree. They have excellant customer service and we even used them this year to clip tree branches away from some electric wire. They are great, there's no job to big or small for them. Click on their website for more information:

Tree Care | Lawn Care | Connecticut Arborist

Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Send the wood to me. I'll pay you for it.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
I've had Andy at River Valley Tree Experts out at my place to get rid of three overgrown large trees surrounding my house.

River Valley Tree Expert Home Page
rvte Process

rvte is active each day with work crews. Each night, phone calls are answered and appointments are set to come and give a free estimate for a service. Typically, bids are presented during the initial visit. The bids are for fixed price services that include any or all of the services that are shown above.
Good work, fair prices.

They have real equipment and are not two guys and a chainsaw.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
They have real equipment and are not two guys and a chainsaw.
And thats why you pay triple the amount. Chainsaw cuts. Chainsaw in bucket truck cuts the same way. lol

Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
And thats why you pay triple the amount. Chainsaw cuts. Chainsaw in bucket truck cuts the same way. lol

You pay for the equipmet so the guys can cut from the top down.

Good luck with your chainsaw with an 80 ft oak 3 ft in dia., 10 ft from your house...

Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Thanks to all who replied. Had three companies come out for estimates. Quite a range of prices for the same work, from a low of $700 to $1950 which I assumed meant they'd be using gold plated chain saws to do the work and coax the tree to come down on its own.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
You pay for the equipmet so the guys can cut from the top down.

Good luck with your chainsaw with an 80 ft oak 3 ft in dia., 10 ft from your house...
No joke. I literally had a 120 year old oak, rotten in the middle at the base, about 10 feet from my house all gnarly hanging over the roof.

They backed up the bucket truck, got another there to act as a brace, got everything on block and tackle...cut and lowered the tree piece by piece. Cleaned up the mess and ground the stump.

My neighbor has a yahoo with "rip cord" and "spike boots" doing the same thing...the tree is half butchered a year later and he's waiting for it to be finished and is minus one gutter.

But hey, he paid $1200 instead of the $2800 quoted by Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb06092 View Post
Thanks to all who replied. Had three companies come out for estimates. Quite a range of prices for the same work, from a low of $700 to $1950 which I assumed meant they'd be using gold plated chain saws to do the work and coax the tree to come down on its own.
It's not the same work. Ask the guy why he's more expensive and listen. You might get an education. I simply hate when people call me and the first words out of their mouth is "how much for". Really? That's your first question? You're going to trust your $5000 marble entry foyer to some guy who told you it will be $99 to restore it and has no insurance and barely 6 months experience? Wow.

$700 probably equals two guys a pickup and a chainsaw with no insurance, no workers comp and they'll show up half hung over - IF they show up on time or that day at all.

If it's that close to your house, pay the money. You won't be sorry.

A quick litmus test is to ask them for a "certificate of insurance"...if they can't produce, that says it all. I get asked all the time, and I provide my CT license # and bond certificate as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Actually $700 came with a bucket truck, backhoe and woodchipper. Crew of 4, very professional with a certificate of insurance. They took the tree down from the top, carefully roping off the limbs and trunk segments. The company (McClelland) is well established, highly rated and extremely careful. They also removed a small crabapple for the price and cleaned up the yard when done, including the street in front of my house. The $1950 estimate came from a small company that I wasn't comfortable with the information I was getting from them and seemed to depend on "my buddy with a truck" to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut