Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,150 times

Advertisements

Here is a little background I'm a college student 21 years old looking to find a neighborhood that can provide me a 1-2 bedroom condo/apartment/townhouse what have you in the range of 700-1200 for the single and 1000-1800 for the double. I do need it to be rather safe too. As well I need somewhere I can easily commute to Trumbull with no hassles. I would prefer not have to drive to work but if I do need a car I can find one I think. I also don't want to live in a part of town where I can't go out and hit the nightlife. I need this neighborhood to have an area I can go to after work and let loose! With all that said, I do hope I can find something by January because that's when my internship starts in Trumbull. I would appreciate any input!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,972,556 times
Black Rock is the closest area to Trumbull. It has a lot of bars and restaurants, so it's probably a good area for you. And it's safe, if you stick to the good part of Black Rock.

I don't see how you're going to commute to Trumbull without a car, though. You should check the GBTA bus routes if you really want to test that, but Trumbull is a very suburban area without much public transport.

All the other places you mentioned are quite a bit further away.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 AM

35,050 posts, read 57,143,115 times
You should know that Trumbull does not have a lot of mass-transit options. If you want to be near mass-transit, you should start by checking transit that services where you are working and where it goes. I would guess that it is a bus line that originates in downtown Bridgeport. These are operated by the Greater Bridgeport Transit Agency. You could look for a rental there. There are apartments in that area as well as restaurants and bars. But be aware, it is not the nightlife you would find in a large major city like New York.

Another option is to find a place along the busline. The north end of Bridgeport is very nice. Try to stay north of North Avenue and west of Main Street.

Black Rock is also very nice but to get to Trumbull you would need to take one bus downtown and then switch to another. The new bus station makes this easy though.

I would think that living in New Haven Milford or Stamford would be a tough commute without a car. You would need to get to the train station, take a train to Bridgeport and then take a bus to your job in Trumbull. Seems like a lot to get to work on a daily basis when there are easier options. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,809,996 times
My wife and I love Milford. But, for night life, there are a few spots in Milford, like SBC and StoneBridge, but you probably would want to hit New Haven or mayb Fairfield/Blackrock. Milford is not too far from Trumbull, but i think you would need a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnileverBound View Post
Here is a little background I'm a college student 21 years old looking to find a neighborhood that can provide me a 1-2 bedroom condo/apartment/townhouse what have you in the range of 700-1200 for the single and 1000-1800 for the double. I do need it to be rather safe too. As well I need somewhere I can easily commute to Trumbull with no hassles. I would prefer not have to drive to work but if I do need a car I can find one I think. I also don't want to live in a part of town where I can't go out and hit the nightlife. I need this neighborhood to have an area I can go to after work and let loose! With all that said, I do hope I can find something by January because that's when my internship starts in Trumbull. I would appreciate any input!

Thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 01:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,412,894 times
Is your Trumbull job on a bus route?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Judging by the OP's name, I would guess they are going to work for Unilever which has a large complex in the Trumbull Corporate Park off Route 8. That complex is accessed by bus connections that run from the Hawley Lane Shopping Center. The OP would have to get a bus to Hawley Lane and then switch to the connector bus. There are a couple of lines that service Hawley Lane including one to Stratfrod, a Trumbull Mall bus and one downtown. Since the OP wants to be within walking distance of nightlife, downtown might still be their best option. Jay

Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 PM

How do you know all this stuff, Jay? You're a walking encyclopedia of all things Connecticut.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
How do you know all this stuff, Jay? You're a walking encyclopedia of all things Connecticut.
I would like to say that I am a genius but that would not be true. Some of the stuff I know is just things I picked up over the years (like Unilever being in Trumbull). Some are things I learned through my job. Others (like where the bus routes are) come from the internet. I wil take your comment as a commpliment and thank you for it kindly. Jay

Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 AM

It was meant to be a compliment. I've lived here for 15 years and I don't know a single bus route. Because I work in New York, rather than here, my knowledge of the region is more limited to my town and maybe a little of the surrounding towns. It's good to learn from somebody who knows it better.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 AM

11,325 posts, read 18,943,712 times
Black Rock would be the shortest commute and is probably the cheapest housing of the options you mentioned (there are parts of New Haven that might be cheaper, but those parts aren't too safe). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut