Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,155,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Corps View Post
I was born in Bridgeport May 1, 1931 in the South end of Main Street. I was born at home in a multi- family residence between Whiting and Atlantic streets. From looking at Satellite imagery I can see that almost all of the residences in that area are gone. Cottage Place which splits that particular block still has residences located there, and one of them is listed as a "buy as is" at $ 57,000. That home was built in 1883. When I was 18 I enlisted in the Marine Corps and left the city of my birth never to return except for infrequent visits. I made a career of the Corps retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel in the early 1970's. I think it is so sad about what has happened to my city and my birth state. So many things are gone, and the replacements are not necessarily better. Gone are the theaters on Main Street, Lowe's Poli, the Majestic and the Globe. Gone is the Mohigan Market and a plethora of fine small businesses. Gone are the fine department stores, Howlands, Reeds, the large furniture stores, Clarks and Colonial. The ethnic balance has totally changed, and not for the better. It is my understanding that the city has gone bankrupt a few times. As a young boy I roamed Seaside Park freely during my summers. Now there are fees to enjoy what was free. Now there are neighborhoods that are considered dangerous and to be avoided. And of course, the major industries that fueled Bridgeport's booming economy are long gone. I am not opposed to change, for change is the only permanent thing in our existence and our lives. But I assure you that the city of my birth existed in better times than these of the present. And sadly many of you do not know it, for we have become a nation of takers rather than producers. Ironically I am considering returning to my city which led me to this post. My wife is gone, my family grown and scattered, and I have the urge to see my city once again and to possibly live there. I plan a long visit in the immediate future, to walk the streets and feel the pulse of the city, for I have always been a New Englander and Bridgeport is my home town.
Hey... you were born a mere 3 weeks after my dad (deceased in 2005). I am sorry about your wife, admire your years in the Corps and rank you achieved, and wish you the best in your visit to Bridgeport.
And at the risk of being politically incorrect, the change in ethnic balance you refer to *is* a large contributor to the social problems plaguing that city now.
The racial demographics of any American city are the best predictor of crime and social problems.

mrkool (former army airborne)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 12:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Quote:
I was born in Bridgeport May 1, 1931 in the South end of Main Street. I was born at home in a multi- family residence between Whiting and Atlantic streets. From looking at Satellite imagery I can see that almost all of the residences in that area are gone. Cottage Place which splits that particular block still has residences located there, and one of them is listed as a "buy as is" at $ 57,000. That home was built in 1883. When I was 18 I enlisted in the Marine Corps and left the city of my birth never to return except for infrequent visits. I made a career of the Corps retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel in the early 1970's. I think it is so sad about what has happened to my city and my birth state. So many things are gone, and the replacements are not necessarily better. Gone are the theaters on Main Street, Lowe's Poli, the Majestic and the Globe. Gone is the Mohigan Market and a plethora of fine small businesses. Gone are the fine department stores, Howlands, Reeds, the large furniture stores, Clarks and Colonial. The ethnic balance has totally changed, and not for the better. It is my understanding that the city has gone bankrupt a few times. As a young boy I roamed Seaside Park freely during my summers. Now there are fees to enjoy what was free. Now there are neighborhoods that are considered dangerous and to be avoided. And of course, the major industries that fueled Bridgeport's booming economy are long gone. I am not opposed to change, for change is the only permanent thing in our existence and our lives. But I assure you that the city of my birth existed in better times than these of the present. And sadly many of you do not know it, for we have become a nation of takers rather than producers. Ironically I am considering returning to my city which led me to this post. My wife is gone, my family grown and scattered, and I have the urge to see my city once again and to possibly live there. I plan a long visit in the immediate future, to walk the streets and feel the pulse of the city, for I have always been a New Englander and Bridgeport is my home town.
If I were you I'd move to Sierra Vista, Arizona. Nice Army base there too.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Gone is the Mohigan Market and a plethora of fine small businesses.
You just reminded me of my great-aunt. She lived nearby and didn't drive, so that was her store. The family had to get her out of the area back in the early 80's, as it was becoming pretty nasty. I think the rats ate up the market eventually.

Quote:
I plan a long visit in the immediate future, to walk the streets and feel the pulse of the city, for I have always been a New Englander and Bridgeport is my home town.
Hold on there.

Yes, you're a Marine. You've exceeded the average life expectancy. If you want to continue exceeding it, you basically want to stay off most of the streets in the city at 79 years of age.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Unfortunately the city has changed like many great old industrial cities. You might be nostalgic for the old Bridgeport but my father (who is 10 years older than you) remembers things weren't all so great either. The many factories there polluted the air and the housing conditions were not all great. He remembers "Hunk Town" (which my aunt talks about a lot) being a slum with dirty cold water flats piled on top of each other. Time has a way of changing our perspective and views. My aunt would NEVER live in Hunk Town now that she has a modern suburban home. I think you should drop in for a visit but be prepared since there is not a lot left of what you remember. The Lowes and Poli are there but empty. Read is now apartments (pretty nice ones too) for artists. Howlands was torn down 40 years ago for a new Courthouse. Clarks is now offices. Much has changed. Some good and some bad.

Rich - The Merrit Canteen is still there. Jay

Old 04-24-2010, 06:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Unfortunately the city has changed like many great old industrial cities. You might be nostalgic for the old Bridgeport but my father (who is 10 years older than you) remembers things weren't all so great either. The many factories there polluted the air and the housing conditions were not all great.
My parents are in their 70's and when they first arrived in the US, they lived in Bridgeport with a friend. They couldn't leave it fast enough. They do not remember it the way this 80 year old gentleman does.

And I am sorry, but what 80 year old uses the language they want to feel the "pulse" of the city? I think this is a post to start another let's bash Bridgeport and CT inner cities thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut