Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,707 times

Advertisements

Last week my husband and I took a look at several condos in New Haven county for those who are 55+. Cheshire was our favorite location but we're concerned about those mines and the cancer cluster issue, especially since I've already had skin cancer. We saw a beautiful development in Oxford (Meadowbrook Estates) but coming in through Seymour was not too pretty. Can anyone provide information on what it's like to live in Oxford? We looked at the Dell Webb community and didn't like the atmosphere but we did love that Meadowbrook. I'm also thinking about Orange but don't know much about it. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 08:15 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Oxford is a nice town but as you probably noted it is a bit rural in character. A lot of people there do their shopping in Southbury (which you should probably check out as well).

Seymour is an old mill town that is going through a transformation. I do not think it is that bad. There is a lot planned (housing retail and schools) that will improve this town.

Orange is a beautiful town but is probably a lot more expensive than Oxford. I would also check Southbury. Jay

Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Lots of age restricted condo's in South Windsor, Vernon and east of the river from Hartford at much lower prices then south western CT. I may also add the traffic is less as well as the taxes.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
There is a great one in Stratford called Oronoque Village. I've been through there for some functions held at the clubhouse. It's mostly an older area, it was there when I was little and lived nearby in the 1970s, but I believe most of them have been kept up nicely. Just a thought, don't know what your interested in specifically. Stratford has a LOT of over 55 population, and that keeps the taxes and school budget in check (to the dismay of the younger folks who live there.....).

Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM

52 posts, read 283,032 times
What is your price range and when are you thinking about moving? There are age-restricted communities popping up all over the place. I am in Ridgefield where Toll Brothers is building a complex. There are also communities in Newtown, Brookfield and Bethel and when the Georgetown wire mill project is completed a number of those units will be age restricted as well. Moderator cut: read the forum rules, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-21-2007 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 18,707 times
We're taking our time in gathering information about what's available so I'd say we don't need to move for a couple of years. We'd like to be within a reasonable distance to Yale Med, where we've already gone for certain health issues. They provide first-class health care, which is an important criterion for us. We can probably come up with 450K and, from what we've already seen, we should be able to afford a decent place. I loved one of the places we saw in Oxford but it did seem a little too rural. What about Orange?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:01 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Orange would probably be pricey, but you should still check it out. Have you considered Milford. Close to New Haven with its own small hospital. A lot of housing options. Great shopping and a nice downtown. Beaches and parks are nice. A good all-around community. Check it out. Jay

Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 AM

64 posts, read 346,850 times
If you need to be close to Yale Med...Take a measure of 30 miles in a circle and systematically look at each town...30-45 minutes is about as long as anyone would want to travel for treatments/visits, I think..good luck

Old 05-28-2007, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 19,097 times
Have you considered the shoreline areas? There are 55+ condos in Old Saybrook, Clinton, East Lyme, Branford, Chester, and Westbrook. Branford is about 10 minutes to New Haven... East Lyme is about 40 minutes, Old Saybrook, Chester and Westbrook about 30 minutes. Those towns are all nice towns with shopping and are not in rural areas.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,095 times
Anyone have information on nice 55+ modular communities in New Haven Bridgeport area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut