Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:58 PM

155 posts, read 552,703 times

Advertisements

I work in Shelton and live in Stamford, so sometimes i have to leave work late. I forgot to get on 95 instead of the Merritt a couple nights ago and i was stranded trying to get back because of the late night work crews. What on earth have they been doing? This seems to have gone on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Estimated completion date: 2012

Oh, this is going to be fun when there's snow on the Parkway and people hit all of the Jersey barriers.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/dcommunications/stimulus/project_updates/highway/ARRA_Rt_15_Merritt_Parkway_8-17-09_updateX.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Do you know what hours they are doing this work? I have to make about one trip per week thru January to Hartford in the late afternoon from Westchester County, returning back in the evening (maybe 8 or 9pm-ish). I'll probably just take 84 to 684 (which is virtually equidistant for me vs. 91 to the Wilbur Cross/Merritt) but as I like the lack of trucks on the parkways, thought it would be worth checking, thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I assume that the work you are talking about is the reconstruction project in Trumbull and Fairfield. THis work has not been going on forever. In fact it has just started. They are reconstructing the roadway, replacing quide rail. repairing drainage and replacing a bridge over Mill river in Fairfield. It wil take a couple of years to complete because they can only work on small portions of the road at a time to accommodate traffic. It also does not help that the work needs to be done at night. Anyway, I would definitely avoid this area a night for the next several months or more. Jay

Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
They started clearing the trees this summer, and often during the day in Fairfield and Trumbull they are working on the road. So it's not just at night. I hate driving through there now, there isn't a lot of space between the barriers.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
I had never heard of the Merritt until I moved here. I was struck by how beautiful the drive can be, but concerned that this dinosaur hasn't been brought up to modern standards. At the very least, having an emergency lane (shoulder) would be much safer and reduce gridlock - I’m disappointed that the construction happening now will not address this problem.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Bringing the Merritt up to current standards would destroy the beauty of the road. Adding a shoulder would expand the pavement area and require the replacement of all of the unique bridges over the roadway. Plus many of the trees, particularly those in the median, would have to go. All of those changes would mean the road would look nothing like it does today. Sorry but there are more than enough ugly superhighways in this country. I think the Merritt should be carefully modified to improve safety while retaining its charm. JMHO, Jay

Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Bringing the Merritt up to current standards would destroy the beauty of the road. Adding a shoulder would expand the pavement area and require the replacement of all of the unique bridges over the roadway. Plus many of the trees, particularly those in the median, would have to go. All of those changes would mean the road would look nothing like it does today. Sorry but there are more than enough ugly superhighways in this country. I think the Merritt should be carefully modified to improve safety while retaining its charm. JMHO, Jay
I agree Jay. I also think 84 between Southbury and Danbury is attractive with the grassy median and trees all around, and am glad that the plans to widen it were scrapped (right?).

There is no need to widen any highway in CT right now (well, 95 being the exception and parts of RT 8 through the Valley which always seem congested), because during the day outside of the main rush hours, they are virtually empty. I'm mostly talking about 84 and the Merritt in Fairfield County.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I was struck by how beautiful the drive can be, but concerned that this dinosaur hasn't been brought up to modern standards.
And lets hope it never does!!! I'm sick and tired of things in life adapting to humans.. lol meaning...everything would look so commercial if there weren't preservation groups anywhere. Gees.

Leave the Merrit alone. Just have gas & oil in car and hit the gas. You'll be fine. Welcome to CT.

P.S - Seen a horrible accident with a Prius hitting the barrier in the construction zone. Looked like speed was a factor.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree Jay. I also think 84 between Southbury and Danbury is attractive with the grassy median and trees all around, and am glad that the plans to widen it were scrapped (right?).

There is no need to widen any highway in CT right now (well, 95 being the exception and parts of RT 8 through the Valley which always seem congested), because during the day outside of the main rush hours, they are virtually empty. I'm mostly talking about 84 and the Merritt in Fairfield County.
I am not sure the plans to widen I-84 were scrapped, they are just not a priority right now and probably won't be for years. unfortunately that grassy median is where they will most likely widen the highway once they do. The environmentalists do not want the "wetlands" (if you can really call them that) disturbed so it is easier to take out a wide median than go through the trouble of getting environmental permits.

As for highways that need widen, I think there are several that need to be done. I-95 from Branford to Rhode Island could use another lane, as well as section of the hgihway that have not been widened from New Haven down to Stamford. The section of I-84 from Route 8 to Prospect that has not been widened yet, needs to be done. The Route 15/Route 7 interchange in Norwalk needs to be completed to allow full access between the highways. I am sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

I should add that I attended a breakfast meeting the other day in North Haven for the "Keep Connecticut Moving" organization. They had the six announced Democratic candidates for Governor there to talk infrastructure improvements. They all did the typical political speeches about needing infrastructure investment. They all trashed Governor Rell and her inability to find more funds for the projects needed. Sadly I am not sure any of them have a real vision for the states transportation system. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut