Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 PM

139 posts, read 202,057 times

Advertisements

I am looking to a buy a house/townhouse in Stamford soon. What are the best neighborhoods for a house/townhouse around 400K? Prefer a quiet residential setup. I do commute to Ny so I'd have to drive to the station everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM

79 posts, read 203,611 times
You'll have better luck with a townhouse in your price range. There are some near downtown (e.g. the condo units on Broad across from the newly revitalized Mill River Park -- the re-routed river is something full of swirls and eddies and fish) that are within walking distance of the station. Why drive .. and Stamford downtown is jumping with dining, shopping,films, theater, clubs -- even Jerry Springer. Prices are down maybe 30% from a year or so ago, mortgages low, good time to buy in. The only hole in the donut are the schools...

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Yes, downtown Stamford rocks. There's also new units on East Main, more of a hike to the station, but downtown is walkable.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
You can definitely get a house for $400k in Stamford, even in a rural neighborhood. But it won't be large - at that price you can get a cape or colonial. And the neighborhoods that would fall within your range would be in either Glenbrook or Springdale - both are nice but further away from the railroad stop so you'lll have to drive to it instead of traveling on foot, if that matters. Either way you're looking at roughly a 45-minute train ride to New York.

I know there are new townhouses going up in the downtown area. I've seen them driving to and from the station when I go into the city. I think they're within your price range & they look nice. It wouldn't hurt to at least look at them. Definitely check out downtown regardless of where you live - a great place.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
You'll have better luck with a townhouse in your price range. There are some near downtown (e.g. the condo units on Broad across from the newly revitalized Mill River Park -- the re-routed river is something full of swirls and eddies and fish) that are within walking distance of the station. Why drive .. and Stamford downtown is jumping with dining, shopping,films, theater, clubs -- even Jerry Springer. Prices are down maybe 30% from a year or so ago, mortgages low, good time to buy in. The only hole in the donut are the schools...
I thought those condos on Broad were on the west side of Stamford and the west side is the worst part of Stamford?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,341 times
Those condos on Broad are BARELY on the west side, literally just across the river from downtown and Trump Parc. To add my 2 cents, I've really enjoyed living in the Bedford/Summer corridor north of downtown, close to everything and I can take the bus if I want to live the car at home. There are lots of condos in this stretch as well as 2-3 family homes and single families. If I were looking for a place I would look for a convenient location either walkable to downtown, north to Bulls Head or the Glenbrook/Springdale area. However, the OP wants a "quiet residential" setup so he might want just the opposite!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
I'd try focusing on the area that lies between Newfield Ave. and Hope Street. Within that area, the Belltown section of Ridgeway is a working class, relatively quiet mixed-use neighborhood.The nearest train station would be the Springdale station, which isn't direct though(transfer required). There are other areas besides the one i listed, but that's where i would personally start looking.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Check out complexes for townhomes in and around 'hoods near downtown. As the posters have mentioned, prices are down BIG, and major deals can be had. Look at some new townhome complexes on Summer Street, near 4th and 5th Streets. A SUPER location with the Ridgeway shopping center to the north, and Target, Bedford restaurants/bars, and the mall several blocks to the south. The train station is probably a mile away--very easy to walk.

We live in the Bulls Head area of Stamford. It is a super quiet neighborhood (mostly), within 1 mile of downtown and 2 miles to the train station. Starbucks is half a mile away, Stop and shop, diners, Lord and Taylor, restaurants, bars, and parks are easy walking distance from our 'hood.

Stamford is a great city and offers a superb quality of life! Best of luck.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:45 AM

139 posts, read 202,057 times
Thanks for the replies.
Ive noticed lot of listings of more spacious townhomes in Glenbrook area. Ill probably check that out first. Havent noticed many townhomes closer to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: