Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why is it that everyone stresses tolerance and yet, when demonstrations like this occur, exercise absolutely no tolerance?
Not that I agree with the demonstrators but I think that the negative labels ("disgusting," "sick," etc.) are a bit excessive. I have never understood why people respond to hatred with hatred, or to a lack of tolerance with a lack of tolerance; I find it a bit hypocritical.
In fact, a lot of these posts sound exactly like many of the groups that they are "disgusted" with, employing the exact same language that these groups use when speaking about racial and ethnic minorities.
You have got to be kidding, right?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
You didn't ciritcize; you denigrated, using words such as "sick" and "disgusting"; you also criticized different perspectives on the issue as "unfathomable." And yet, you then regard this thread as a "discussion"? It isn't a discussion when you just want people to agree with you, and then regard them as divisive, etc. when they do not.
As I have said before, you are the pot calling the kettle black.
Yes. Nazi doctrine is sick and disgusting. If you don't agree with me, frankly, you need to have your head examined.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Nazi doctrine is sick and disgusting. But advocating lower government spending and lower taxes isn't. Some people don't understand the difference.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Nazi doctrine is sick and disgusting. But advocating lower government spending and lower taxes isn't. Some people don't understand the difference.
Agreed. Huge difference.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You're kidding yourself. Long Island is loaded with lower key racists. So is Connecticut. I'm glad you frightened off the Nazi group, but don't kid yourself about how liberal Long Islanders are in practice.
Apparently you haven't frequented the island.Any time a form of racism has reared it ungly head which has been rare,someone has stomped it out. There are many different cultures here and it is much more accepting of differences as opposed to other areas.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
You didn't ciritcize; you denigrated, using words such as "sick" and "disgusting"; you also criticized different perspectives on the issue as "unfathomable." And yet, you then regard this thread as a "discussion"? It isn't a discussion when you just want people to agree with you, and then regard them as divisive, etc. when they do not.
As I have said before, you are the pot calling the kettle black.
Why don't you tell us how you feel on the issue, Miss Goody Two Shoes?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
The point of my post was that it is hypocrital to derride members of such groups using the same speech that they probably use when referring to peoples of other races and religions.
Regardless of why you use such language, saying that someone is "sick" and "disgusting" is hate speech. In fact, as I said in my first post, those are probably the exact same words that such people use when referring to peoples of other races and religions.
My point? Hate breeds hate. Rise above it. Rather than continuing the cycle of hate, support diversity in meaningful ways that do not include resorting to the same hateful words that such supremacist groups use. Otherwise, you end up sounding a lot like a supremacist yourself.
This is twisted and wrong in so many ways. You should be ashamed of yourself for believing that saying someone is "sick" or "disgusting" is equal to those who promote hate crimes, on any level.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
This is twisted and wrong in so many ways. You should be ashamed of yourself for believing that saying someone is "sick" or "disgusting" is equal to those who promote hate crimes, on any level.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Apparently you haven't frequented the island.Any time a form of racism has reared it ungly head which has been rare,someone has stomped it out. There are many different cultures here and it is much more accepting of differences as opposed to other areas.
I've been there many times, and know many people from there.

Try this little trick. Pick a nice, white, middle class neighborhood on Long Island, put a house on the market, and bring a lot of black people around to look at it. I promise you'll get an interesting reaction.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 31,358 times
Why no one stop these bad people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut