Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:44 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Roosevelt is a mostly black town(just ask Howard Stern,he's from there) as is Hempstead.Wyandanch is another town that the majority is black but it is also a town attempting a comeback from being a lower income area. Most of the time people feel more comfortable with their own(black, white, hispanic, christian, jewish) and will move accordingly but that doesn't kill my argument about acceptance.Even in an area that is highly black,white,etc...doesn't mean it's a racist area or that it is not tolerant of others as was the case of the 3 PUTZs!!!
Actually, until recently, I would say that a lot of it was racist. Usually it was that a couple of black and/or Hispanic families moved into a formerly "white" area, and the more "fearful" white families move out within a year and sell to a minority family because real estate agents "fanned the flames" further by mostly steering minorities to the house and whites to other areas. Then others, who are not so overtly racist but are becoming "uncomfortable" start to follow suit.

I know this is true because I saw it firsthand. I was a kid in the 70s in a white neighborhood that was about equal parts Jewish and Italian, with some Irish neighbors too. First black family (and certainly not "da hood", wife was an executive at AT&T, husband was a tenured HS teacher, just had a baby) moved in in 1978. By 1985, we were the only white family left on the block (and had no problem with our neighbors). Now before this sounds hypocritical I can tell you my mom still lives there, and most of the other "minority" families are no different in socio-economic status than the whites who ran away, their loss.

But I do agree that many groups do live together more now, and I've seen enough cases nowadays where you do see a few minority families in a predominantly white neighborhood, and vice versa, that I think much of the era of "white flight" has ended (in fact, in my hometown, it's joked that we're getting "bright flight" now, where upper socioeconomic minority families leave and get "replaced" by more working class families of similar racial/ethnic background). I think as someone noted, this is especially true in the boros more than in the suburbs, but still true in both (though I've heard both around and in the forums that Staten Island still has some of the "old mentality").

Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,481 times
I'm coming in pretty late on this discussion but need to comment that I sat my three children down and discussed in great length what had happened and why I was very upset about it. We are not jewish but have many very dear friends who are. I hope they find out the identities of these people. What cowards they are to make such a hateful statement and then hide behind it. Wishing ALL of you a wonderful holiday season and a prosperous New Year.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM

84 posts, read 291,955 times
if i was there i would have ripped there signs up and kicked em in the you know where

Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Have you really evr visited NY? I was born in Queens and my wife is from Brooklyn.The upper class and the upper class attitude comes from manhattanites.Brooklyn has turned into a russian province especially by brighton beach and alot of queens nowadays is highly asian so your facts are just theories and not even hypothesis' because that would mean they were EDUCATED guesses.Please don't make statements about an area unless you know.Pulling them out of your butt is not appropriate.There are areas that have a higher black population or white pop as well but NY has always been a state that is multicultural unless you go to parts "upstate" where judaism is scrutinized in some areas. In the boroughs and long island it is much more accepting then just about anywhere in the US. I have previously worked for the post office and I worked in the cable industry for many years so I was in 1000's of homes and in just about every town in Nassau and Suffolk county.So if you want to talk about long island state facts.By the way for your information I do take regular monthly trips to Harlem because my friend Scott's family lives there. I go there for dinner on a regular basis and as a white man i'm never looked at strangely even though "outsiders" might stereotype the area because of what they have heard on tv!
As a previous member of the Air Force I had visited the areas by March AFB which is by Compton,and that area was overhyped as well even though most people had no desire to live there.
FYI, I was born and raised in Westchester. I know New York very well.

We've obviously seen a different side of New York and are not going to agree, so there's no point in beating a dead horse, IMO.

Last edited by dazzleman; 12-20-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM

what is imo? is that like punk rock?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstvs View Post
what is imo? is that like punk rock?
It's short for "in my opinion."

Old 12-20-2009, 06:29 PM

oh my bad.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
FYI, I was born and raised in Westchester. I know New York very well.

We've obviously seen a different side of New York and are not going to agree, so there's no point in beating a dead horse, IMO.
What part if you don't mind my asking? The neighborhood I was talking about was in Mt. Vernon.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What makes you think Nazi's are Christians?
Hitler and all of his henchmen were Catholic...Catholics are Christians...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
What part if you don't mind my asking? The neighborhood I was talking about was in Mt. Vernon.
I grew up in Eastchester. My mother's family was from Mount Vernon. You could probably say that they were part of the 'white flight' out of there. Mount Vernon has beautiful homes, and I keep thinking that given its location and the quality of its homes, it will come back up, but it never really did. Even the nicer neighborhoods have a run-down look about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut