Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advise from you all.
My wife and I will be moving from NY to CT in the next 6 months. I have found a job in New Haven and she in Hartford. We`ve been renting apartments in NY for the last 5 years, and are planning on buying a 3br/2bath house in CT. No kids yet. Any advise on which towns to focus on? Any help is greatly appreciated !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Rocky Hill's a pretty nice town. And in addition to being very "suburban" and a great town for when you do have kids there's a lot of nice apartment rentals if you wanted to "get your feet wet" for a year and see if you like the place before actually buying a house. It's closer to Hartford than New Haven but far enough from Hartford to be commutable to New Haven (the town is right on I-91). Good luck!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Rocky Hill is a good choice choice, although it's closer to Hartford than to NH (if that's an issue). If you plan on staying there for a while and plan on having children, it would be a nice fit since the schools are good. They don't have a walkable town center/Main Street area (if it matters), but there's plenty of retail and restaurants on the Silas Deane HWY - EVERYTHING is here.

Since right now you don't have kids, another possible option might be Middletown. It's a small city of about 50,000 right on the river and overall it's a great place. Many nice neighborhoods with a great downtown area. Schools are only OK, but they've improved alot in the last few years and continue to do so. Technically its a city but it looks very suburban, and it's mostly pretty nice.
You might also like Wallingford. It's about 2 or 3 towns north of NH but Hartford is accessible via I-91 which cuts through town. Like Rocky Hill it's a pretty nice town with good schools.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Another nice thing about Middletown is the presence of Weslayen University which gives a nice "college atmosphere" and some culture.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You should try to stay along the I-91 corridor between Hartford and New Haven to minimize your commutes. There are many nice towns in this area but it depends on how far you or your wife are willing to travel. If you do not mind a little longer commute then I agree with the others that Rocky Hill is very nice. Also consider Wethersfield, Berlin and Cromwell.

Middletown and Meriden are basically small cities with some of the issues you would expect to find including schools that perform under the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests.

Durham and Middlefield are nice small somewhat rural towns that are about half way between Hartford and New Haven. They share a school system and it is considered to be very good. But these towns are pretty small and you would have to travel to neighboring communities to do most of your shopping.

Closer to NEw Haven, I would recommend North Haven and Wallingford. Both are nice communities with a lot of nice shops and restaurants. The schools in both of these towns are good. I hope this helps. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut