Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 48,429 times

Advertisements

Tin knocker how ya been bud. You should be happy that you seen deer to pass up..My season in NY was aweful. I really believe the herds have been over harvested at least in the area that I hunt. Deer numbers are WAY down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter1 View Post
Tin knocker how ya been bud. You should be happy that you seen deer to pass up..My season in NY was aweful. I really believe the herds have been over harvested at least in the area that I hunt. Deer numbers are WAY down.
What's causing it since we've traditionally had an over pop problem?

Starvation? Sickness? Predators? (LOL) To much hunting? (ROFL)

Old 01-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Well I am referring to NY

But I believe in the area that I hunt has a serious poaching problem. Not to mention that they used to hand DMP out like they were candy. I actually contacted the biologist for that zone and he stated that they are aware of the decline and he did make metion to to many DMP being handed out over the last couple of years.... Its sad because we did have a healthy herd in that area at one time. Not to mention there are so many coyotes! I shot one this year with the bow.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Makes sense...we have way way too many Coyotes around here too. All the wild turkey are GONE. Just piles of feathers here and there year to year and now they are nowhere to be found.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Default harvesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Makes sense...we have way way too many Coyotes around here too. All the wild turkey are GONE. Just piles of feathers here and there year to year and now they are nowhere to be found.
What we all as hunters need to do is start harvesting these coyotes. They are destroying the eco system of the woods. They are decreasing the deer herds and turkey flocks to dangerously low numbers.

So still no takers on land??

Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter1 View Post
What we all as hunters need to do is start harvesting these coyotes. They are destroying the eco system of the woods. They are decreasing the deer herds and turkey flocks to dangerously low numbers.

So after all the complaining by people that there are too many deer, now that there aren't as many you want to kill coyotes so there will be a high population of deer again? Unbelievable logic.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM

If you read what I wrote. I was talking about NY. But if they are having the same problem in CT with them I say harvest them too. If the deer are they bad people should be allowing responsible hunters on their land to hunt. Hunters will consume the deer or donate to the needy.... Much better than letting these animals ruin the eco system or having the deer die from overpopulation.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,403 times
I saw this post and had to give a response. Finding Private land to hunt is not easy but it is not impossible either. I over the years find a new place to hunt every year. Combined with the places I have found in the past I have a few options where to hunt. The thing is, you have to knock on doors, smile and ask. offer to help around the farm, do NOT try and bring friends or anyone else. Let them know that you are one person trying to honestly find a place to hunt the right way. Thing is you ask a hundred farmers and one of them gives you permission, well, that is all you need. You are going to get a lot of "No,I just am not comfortable with you hunting my land"But if you ask enough people, you will indeed find one farmer who understands it is hard to find a honest place to hunt. I guess the moral to my post is, You have to work and ask a lot of different farmers but don't get discouraged. good luck.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,755 times
Good luck finding a place to hunt. I moved here from Maine over a year ago and am going to look into this myself for next year. I have been going back to Maine and hunting on the weekends and all of last week. The coyotes have taken a toll on the deer population where I hunt in northern Maine and I have seen a lot of deer around where we live in CT. I live in Fairfield and can't believe all the deer that are right in town and along I-95. I also saw a coyote about a block from the interstate in Fairfield a couple of months ago. Now I know why all the signs are up with missing cats and small dogs!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM

74 posts, read 152,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
Good luck finding a place to hunt. I moved here from Maine over a year ago and am going to look into this myself for next year. I have been going back to Maine and hunting on the weekends and all of last week. The coyotes have taken a toll on the deer population where I hunt in northern Maine and I have seen a lot of deer around where we live in CT. I live in Fairfield and can't believe all the deer that are right in town and along I-95. I also saw a coyote about a block from the interstate in Fairfield a couple of months ago. Now I know why all the signs are up with missing cats and small dogs!
I too was surprised to see a lot of deer in Milford and deer in Bport. I dont hunt, but Id rather a hunter get a deer than seeing all the deer on the roads.

What is the problem with coyotes? Arent coyotes and wolves useful in keeping the overpopulation down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut