Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 23,912 times

Advertisements

Looking for an area right off route 95 and as close to nyc as possibe. Is New Haven a good place to start? It must be affordable, shopping areas all about and if possible transportation. The area must have sidewalks too...

I'm going out there next week and don't want to waste anytime looking at places that won't suit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 21,437 times
According to me New Haven is a best place to live as, you will find lot of good apartments to buy and for the rental too as, this will somewhere help you to get some good apartments at very reasonable rates.

According to me the area is good and also the people living there are getting all the best facilities and the friendly environment.

I think you should get some nice flat from here as, it will affordable for you and at the same time quite beneficial.

Last edited by JayCT; 12-28-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Deleted advertising

Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
You need to define close and affordable. New Haven is about 80 miles from New York, so if you consider that close, it would be fine. In comparision to parts of New York, it is affordable. There are many nice neighborhoods to consider including East Rock, Westville and downtown. It is a large city so you should expect to find typical urban issues. There are other towns and cities that are closer that may be good as well though. More information would help. Jay

Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

45mins away from NYC is good enough to transport from work which is in Nassau, LI. How far is east rock and Westville? Should I check them out when I visit? What other towns and cities are closer and affordable? I may have to rent before buying... $1000.00 monthly for an apt. is decent. If I can get it cheaper, that’s ok too. I won’t worry about the house until I plant myself in the area. The location of the house doesn't have to be 100% urban…just as long it is clean, quiet and near I-95. Thanks Jay

Last edited by NYJERI; 12-28-2009 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,754,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJERI View Post
45mins away from NYC is good enough to transport from work which is in Nassau, LI. How far is east rock and Westville? Should I check them out when I visit? What other towns and cities are closer and affordable? I may have to rent before buying... $1000.00 monthly for an apt. is decent. If I can get it cheaper, that’s ok too. I won’t worry about the house until I plant myself in the area. The location of the house doesn't have to be 100% urban…just as long it is clean, quiet and near I-95. Thanks Jay
You may want to post on the NJ boards. It doesn't sound like CT is going to work for you.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,070,342 times
I can't think of any place within CT that is 45 minutes from NYC and truly affordable.

You'd be pretty much limited to Stamford and Greenwich-- which is a stretch for a 45 minute trip in to the city-- and you're not really going to find decent housing for $1000 a month. If you are alone it might work as you might find a one bedroom in that price range.

I agree New Jersey might be better for you.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM

$1,300 with everything included isn’t bad especially when u compare it to where I live…. I do realize the closer I am to NYC the more rent, right? The commute can be more than 45 mins but less than 1hr ½. NJ? Most of my travels are going up north, CT is right in the middle which is why I decided to buy my house in CT. NJ is going in the opposite direction.. From reading, Stratford is diverse not to sure about Greenwich but I’ll put it on the list with Danbury, Easton, East Rock and Westville…

Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
$1,300 with everything included isn’t bad especially when u compare it to where I live…. I do realize the closer I am to NYC the more rent, right? The commute can be more than 45 mins but less than 1hr ½. NJ? Most of my travels are going up north, CT is right in the middle which is why I decided to buy my house in CT. NJ is going in the opposite direction.. From reading, Stratford is diverse not to sure about Greenwich but I’ll put it on the list with Danbury, Easton, East Rock and Westville…
You can probably find a small rental in Greenwich for 1300. Anything past Norwalk will be a trek into the city each day IMO. I'd suggest starting your search there.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,715,180 times
Quote:
If you're willing to consider Danbury you might want to look at Putnam County, NY which is about the same distance to NYC as Danbury. It started to get expensive during the housing boom but is getting back to relatively cheap prices. Your taxes may be higher though.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM

84 posts, read 290,946 times
new haven is the bomb. lots of people commute to nyc. u can walk to great clubs and places to eat. lots of cool people there and u wont go broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut