U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 PM

100 posts, read 223,858 times

Advertisements

Question: if you made in the 60-65k range and were a single dad (with a 10 year old son) in CT, where would you most likely live? All the normal caveats apply of course, I'd rather live in a small-town with big-city amenities with low-crime and affordable housing, blah blah. Realistically though, I just want a nice place with plenty of parks and outlets for fun activities. And if I'm priced out of CT, that'll be swell too. I just want to know.

Thanks!

Useless backstory if anyone is interested:
It just so happens that a government contract I'm on expires in June. I currently live in Newport News, VA.

I've been casting about for new positions and it just so happens that there are many positions available in my field in CT and MA. I've been interested in moving out of this area for some time so this seems the perfect opportunity!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM

32,117 posts, read 50,817,065 times
There are many people like you that live on $60,000 per year and do just fine. A lot depends on what you spend your money on. Generally the lowest price area of Connecticut is the southeast part of the state. The New London area has several nice small towns you could consider. I would suggest Montville, Waterford or Groton.

You could also live in either the Hartford or New Haven areas. Wallingford and Branford are nice near New Haven while in the Hartford area I would suggest Wethersfield or Newington. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

7,373 posts, read 14,006,078 times
I would just wind up suggesting where i grew up because thats all I know

South windsor is a good town, good schools, high taxes *cough*, but low crime, good place to live. Somewhat small town close enough to hartford to drive within 10-15 minutes but far enough away too. Plenty of reasonably affordable condos within the tri town area.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,342,048 times
Housing costs vary widely across MA and CT, so we'd really need to know where the jobs are to advise best location. Western Mass (Springfield area) is much cheaper than Boston, and likewise the Hartford region is much cheaper than Fairfield County.
$65k in some places will go far, others, you'll just squeak by.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM

181 posts, read 526,770 times
If you are already on a government contract in Newport News then chances are you will probably be able to find a possition in your field here in Groton. With the Submarine Base, Electric Boat, and all of the auxiliary companies associated here, as well as the US Coast Guard Academy right across the river; if it is there, it is probably here. And as Jay said, there are many, many people in the same situation as you that do just fine, and Southeastern Connecticut is probably the best value for you, on top of probably having a job for you. The median Household income for New London county from 2007 was $60,000 so you would be right on track, and as a matter of fact be a little on the up side since the average household size is 2.48 people. In terms of parks, there are many beautiful parks all over the entire state. In general the towns have done a very good job of making sure that there are planty of parks for people to enjoy all of the time. I think SECT might be a great match for you. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for here.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM

84 posts, read 280,899 times
u will qualify 4 section 8 housing in ct on that salary. u will need savings with that salary.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,392,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstvs View Post
u will qualify 4 section 8 housing in ct on that salary. u will need savings with that salary.
ummm.. no probably not.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 PM

84 posts, read 280,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
ummm.. no probably not.
uh huh..I just read it on another thread.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 AM

181 posts, read 526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstvs View Post
uh huh..I just read it on another thread.
Not trying to hijack the thread but, WOW, tell me you're kidding right now...

According to the Connecticut Department of Social Services website "In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live.[By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its vouchers to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income.]" and according to the US Department of Agriculture ERS Fairfeild County (the highest median income in the state) only had a median income of $84,250.

As for needing savings, prudence demands that you have savings at any level of income...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut